5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on pregnancy.
Published on 1 Nov 2008 by a reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance
I bought this book when I discovered I was pregnant, and although there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it, I don't think I would buy it again.

Published on 1 Nov 2010 by Juliette

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on pregnancy., 1 Nov 2008
This review is from: Conception, Pregnancy and Birth: The Childbirth Bible for Today's Parents (Hardcover)
This pregnancy book is thorough and so easy to understand, it puts others down. (I've read many.) What I liked most was that it wasn't as judgemental as others I've read and really took a more laid back approach. Pregancy is anxiety-inducing enough already! So, if you want a good book on pregnancy, get this one. Another one I liked which is more laid back and funnier is You Know You're Pregnant When. Reflections on the Longest Nine Months of My Life. Both together is a good week's read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 1 Nov 2010
Juliette (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews

Good things: It's a Dorling-Kindersley book so is beautifully designed and illustrated and its best sections are the ones which take advantage of this e.g. the sections on how to bathe a baby and how to change a nappy. There isn't an agenda to the book and if feels balanced and trustworthy. I heard Miriam Stoppard described as the 'Delia Smith of childbirth' somewhere, which is an apt way of conveying the style. It's generally better I would say on the medical side of pregnancy than other aspects.

On the other hand, I found the book felt quite superficial. It spent a lot of time telling you common-sense advice (do you really need half a page telling you that some people like to follow family or cultural traditions when selecting names?). But then it completely missed out major topics like SPD (which affects 25% of pregnant women!), gestational diabetes, options for the third stage of labour, co-sleeping or selecting childcare for when you return to work. I'd have expected as well to see something about foetal positioning, if only to say that it's not worth trying to do anything about if that's the author's opinion. Lots of other important topics are very much skimmed too. For example, the advice on the daunting task of choosing a pram/pushchair amounts to 'make sure the handles are a comfortable height' and 'make sure it has good brakes' and there's no advice about different types of slings, and the advice on getting people to help after the birth unequivocally recommends having parents in law stay in your house, without any suggestion that there might be downsides or alternatives to this like having them stay in a hotel or B&B.

Personally, I also didn't really get on well with the organisation of the book. It's not a book that you'd read cover to cover, but it was often hard to find specific things you are looking for - things are often hidden in the case studies where you might not find them and somehow the overall ordering didn't feel very logical to me. I was trying to find the section on when to call the hospital when you have signs of labour and the information is very buried! Sometimes useful information also isn't laid out as clearly as it might be e.g. with the hospital bag list.

I haven't looked at the alternative books enough to recommend one. Instead, if I were choosing a book again, I'd probably consider buying a book specifically about childbirth and a book specifically about postnatal care, and then just using on the free NHS book you are given at your booking appointment which covers the essentials that you'd expect to find in a pregnancy book, together with the internet if you're interested in specific topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true baby bible, 20 Jun 2008
Helen S. Lewis (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic. It is aimed at both parents and guides you through the entire process of having a baby from before conception right through all the stages of pregnancy and finally after the baby is born. This book explains the biological stuff, the legal stuff and goes into depth about what feelings the expectant mother and father will be experiencing. There is a lot of information in this book, and not all of it will be relevant to everyone, for example, it explains a wide variety of complications that may occur, infertility treatments and miscarriages, and also the different types of birth you might have. I highly recommend this inciteful book to anyone trying to get pregnant, or who already is pregnant, and to some extent those who have recently given birth. Quality book, and a true baby bible!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 5 May 2009
I am currently trying to conceive and this book has been most helpful. It includes lots of useful information on conception, pregnancy and birth, with specific chapters on many issues that other pregnancy books do not really tend to focus on, such as single parenthood, home births, infertility and emotional problems during pregnancy. Obviously these will not necessarily be relevant to everyone, but it's good to have a reference book that covers everything - just in case. The book is easy to understand and includes many pictures and illustrations that make it even easier to understand what is being talked about. Unlike many other pregnancy books, it is not boring at all! In my opinion, this book is a "must" for anyone who is pregnant or trying to conceive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Aug 2009
This book is brilliant, we are trying for our first baby and it has really helped us. It tells you everything from what you should eat to how to care for your baby when it arrives. It even has a section for fathers to read. I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for before, during and after, 5 Jan 2009
E. Stark (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is brilliant. It gives you the do's and don't's as well as what to expect if things do go wrong. Amazing source of information and really helped us. Honest, indepth and enlightening!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, 15 Jun 2011
Like others, I bought this as I thought it would be an excellent reference book. The worst section for me is the diet bit. The amount of protein she claims is one portion of first-class protein is ridiculous (and you are according to her recommended to eat this three lots a day). As a vegetarian (with not as many protein choices) this initially worried me. I realised that this is not consistent with the advice from the midwife (that you need only a small amount of extra food during pregnancy) and that this is not practical (and will only make you feel ill!). As my vegi diet is very healthy anyway, yes I tried to make sure I ate a bit more protein than previously in addition to all my fruit, veg, fibre and dairy (with a pregnancy supplement to back it up) - but that is all. Don't listen to all the advice in this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to give you an overview, 1 Oct 2010
I have several pregnancy books at home and I like this one for its thoroughness. It covers everything basically, from pre-conception advice and fertility problems, food and antenatal care, to life with a newborn. What I really like about this book is that is has case studies in every chapter (e.g. 'The diabetic mother'; 'A working pregnancy' etc.), and the examples chosen are really informative.
However, I have found two things that I don't really like about this book (and which are covered differently or in more detail in one of my other books):
Firstly, the development section is divided into month by month, not week by week, e.g. 7 to 10, 19 to 22 weeks. That way, you never really know what is actually happening during your current week of pregnancy. You just get an overview and measurements for the final week of that particular month.
However, the book has great images and drawings, so it's very accessible.
Secondly, although it covers so much, sometimes I think it misses out on detail. I guess this is not really the book to choose if you want more information on a particular aspect, e.g. fertility problems, fetal development or complaints in pregnancy, but in other sections (labour, getting ready for baby, most of the antenatal care bit), they managed to put in lots of detail. I would have liked to see a larger section about home birth (it's just a paragraph and even if you don't consider it, it's worth having some information about it) and exercise during pregnancy (very superficial information, few pages, mixed with relaxation/massage bit).
I would recommend this book as your first pregnancy advice book. It is great to give you enough information for the beginning, and then if you need/want more details on a specific chapter, you might have to either get another book or just search the internet. If you already have one or more similar books at home, don't get it, because you might be disappointment about the lack of detail in some chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book., 17 Aug 2009
V. Ware (Devon , England.) - See all my reviews
I am so chuffed that I decided to buy this book. There is not a single question that it doesn't answer. Right from before your baby is conceived right through the pregnancy, birth and on through the early stages of parenthood. It covers everything in a straightforward way with lots of pictures and examples. I really can't rate it highly enough. You will not regret investing in this bible!

4.0 out of 5 stars First Pregnancy Book, 6 Jun 2009
Mr. Jason Macaulay (Islle Of Man) - See all my reviews
Very good book.Excellent pictures and text covering all aspect of pregnancy. My only problem with this book is that is covers 4 week blocks and not week to week,.Which i think would be better as their is a lot goes on in each week.

Thanks again