5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of vocabulary
This is not a book for the faint of heart.

Inside this book are around 6,000 (Chinese equivalent of) words divided into categories, in sections of around 25 words each.

Published on 23 July 2008 by K. Hung

3.0 out of 5 stars Font size too small for Chinese characters
I agree with the positive comments given by other customers so you may ask why I've only given this dictionary 3 stars.

While the medium of a visual dictionary uses pictures, a visual dictionary must still fundamentally be about words (mainly nouns since other parts of speech are less suitable for photos).

The problem with this dictionary is that the...
Published on 18 Mar. 2010 by R. Davies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Font size too small for Chinese characters, 18 Mar. 2010
R. Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese-English Bilingual Visual Dictionary (DK Bilingual Dictionaries) (Paperback)

The problem with this dictionary is that the words are printed in too small a font size. This is particularly true for the Chinese characters, making the structure of the more complex characters only apparent with the use of a magnifying glass.This is a major problem for a Chinese dictionary, where it must be assumed that the reader may not already know all the characters.

Given that the font size is more of a problem with the Chinese characters, since the English (in bold) and the pinyin are both fully legible (albeit small), the dictionary is far better suited to Chinese readers who are learning English than to anglophone readers learning Mandarin. (The comment from several others that the pictures are mainly from western countries perhaps reinforces this.)

I suspect the problem with the Chinese characters is lessened the greater the reader's existing knowledge of Chinese characters since the task becomes one of character recognition rather than initial learning. Nevertheless, it must remain crucial for any dictionary that words should stand out and be easily read.

The undoubtedly high quality of both paper and printing is insufficient to remedy this. At the very least, DK needs to produce a revised edition with a larger font size for the Chinese characters even if there's insufficient space within the current format to increase font size for the pinyin and English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of vocabulary, 23 July 2008
K. Hung "Kenny" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is not a book for the faint of heart.

For those of you learning Chinese, and wanting to increase your word power, this is an excellent book. Familiarising yourself with the vocabulary in this book will give you an excellent grounding on the road to fluency in Chinese.

There are one or two mistakes (characters given the wrong pronunciation, and some of the English meanings are missing), but generally, a very complete, very accurate set of vocabulary sheets.

I would have also liked to have seen the traditional form characters included. However, with the Pinyin given throughout, these are easy enough to look up.

But, be warned; this book is not for beginners. I would recommend John DeFrancis' excellent readers is you are a beginner for learning some of the basic characters, and any number of the CD/book combinations for listening and speaking.

However, if you have around 500 characters or more under your belt already, you will find this book an excellent vocabulary builder.

Overall, an excellent buy, with a hell of a lot of hours of learning inside. Highly recommended for the more advanced student.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what we were looking for, 4 July 2009
Amazon Customer (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm very pleased with this book. I first found it by chance in a book shop in London on a weekend break. I have to mention that I was born in Hong Kong, but has been living in the UK for the past 30 yrs, so my Chinese (Cantonese) is a little rusty. I've started learning Mandarin Chinese just under 2 yrs ago at a local Chinese School. I've found this invaluable, as I'm familiar with most of the names of things in English, but not too sure about their Chinese names especially in Mandarin, and their pronounciation. Think there may be a few pinyin errors with the various tones, but on the whole, I'ver found this book very useful, as does most of my Chinese friends at the Chinese class, so I've been ordering a few of this book for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to date dictionary, 26 Feb. 2009
This book is not only fun, it contains practical terms you'll never find in a ordinary dictionary. And both illustrations and keywords are up to date.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference tool, 12 Feb. 2014
This handbook is a really useful reference tool for both English speakers learning Putonghua and vice versa. There is no grammar, in the main it is a book to translate nouns. Therefore the book is only useful to speakers who already have a good knowledge of English/Putonghua.

The only problem I have with the book is the font size, which is too small. You need very good eyesight and good lighting to see the Hanzi script. Pinyin and simplified Chinese script is used throughout the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very European, 23 Aug. 2008
As the latest in a series covering French, Spanish, Polish, German ... presumably produced by just replacing the words, language by language in the book, don't expect to find "chopsticks" or any other intrinsically Chinese concept here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Thought Out Book, 26 April 2014
If you can construct a basic sentence in any language then you need a good vocabulary of nouns. Rather than trawling through the average dictionary for the word you require this is a colourful, user friendly and well thought out book. Whether you are teaching English in China to young students or just a tourist trying to survive understanding pin-yin or Chinese characters this is a visual way to point at what you want, need or are trying to talk about. They seem to have covered all subjects for everyday life. I leave a copy in China with friends for when I visit and get stuck and have a copy here with which to study. The only criticism is the size of the print-type. I can understand why with so much information within, but anyone without 100% vision will struggle. Overall an excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Very helpful and easy!, 25 Aug. 2013
I cannot fault this product at all, since I have been using it my vocabulary has increased dramatically. If you are like me, where in terms of language learning your main problem is simply building a sufficient vocabulary then these visual dictionaries are perfect.

I read a review of which said that the Chinese characters were too small, I disagree, they are the normal printed size, it is still easy and clear to see the details however unlike many others I have found it beneficial that the characters are not significantly larger, because I have noticed in the past when using other resources that I then struggled to read printed characters but have now become accustomed to this.

The book also has a extremely large range of vocabulary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chinese-English Visual Bilingual Dictionary, 29 Jan. 2011
I think that this book is well worth the buy and on getting it am surprised that it didnt cost more than it did! The book is clearly layed out and full of bright colourful pictures of everyday settings that are labeled with the chinese, how to pronounce the chinese and the english. I have a chinese friend at school and she is amazed at how much I can do already. There is an index at the back of the book which tells you all the chinese words in the book and all the English words so you can easily find any word you want. I believe they have visual bilingual dictionarys for loads of different languages so I would recommend them to anyone - they are much better than normal dictionarys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chinese dictionary, 15 May 2013
An excellent dictionary--I always take a few of these with me when I go to China to give as presents and keep an old battered one for myself. Their weight means that you can only take a few within your luggage allowance. If you are going to China and your Mandarin is not up to much--you can just point at the pictures or write down the pinyin. I realised just how valuable these can be when I wanted a thermometer to check the heat. I mimed hot and cold and then the assistant took hold of me and led me to the shelves containing flu remedies!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Chinese-English Bilingual Visual Dictionary (DK Bilingual Dictionaries)
Chinese-English Bilingual Visual Dictionary (DK Bilingual Dictionaries) by g-and-w Publishing (Paperback - 1 April 2008)