Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 7 June 2009
Nice layout, great photography and just the right amount of info on each entry. Granted, the text is not as detailed as a Collins Field Guide, but given the number of species covered this would be impossible without turning the book into some unwieldy carbuncle. A great little guide to throw in the backpack on a day out, simple as that.
on 26 July 2009
Whilst this is hardly a pocket book, it is compact enough to pack into a haversack for a day out. Quite comprehensive coverage of anything you are likely to see on a day out and enough detail for the average nature lover who only wants to be able to try to identify, birds, fungus etc.
on 23 October 2010
I bought this book to help me in my work as a mountain leader and canoe guide. I needed something that was informative and portable enough to take out with me on the hills or down a river. Though not quite as 'pocket able' or portable as I would like it is still packable. I would have liked it in more of an A5 type guide book size as I find this size easier to pack and use. These minor gripes apart it is a great book. It is very informative and well laid out, it is also full of quality diagrams of the most common species of British wildlife. There are around a 1,000 species of animal, plant and fungi found in the book and I found that the book was great as a field guide to identify species giving you just about enough information to be going on with. I have given it a four star rating only because I cannot give it 4.5 stars. I would detract half a star on account of it being advertised as a pocket guide book and I think it falls short of that...however it has helped me enormously as a field guide and I would advise anybody to buy the book if they want a quality field manual on British wildlife. Excellent read.
on 18 March 2010
a very informative and easy to read book. it covers trees,fungi,birds animals,flowers and grasses,fish, insects, moths and butterflies. it's a good reference book for those with a general interest in british wildlife. the ideal companion for a day in the countryside. it's not a book for your pocket, but will fit neatly in a rucksack.it covers most nature topics, good value for money.
on 4 August 2013
It covers almost all wildlife I am likely to come across in the UK. Great to have it all in one book. Illustrations are really good. Obviously the bird section is not as detailed as the Collins Guide to Birds (of which I have a copy-excellent guide to British and European birds) but you can't expect that from an all in one guide. Some illustrations have features pointed out with arrows to help with identification 'in the field'-very helpful. It saves carrying loads of books in my rucksack when out and about photographing wildlife. If I do carry a second book it is the Collins Guide to Birds. Would definitely recommend. It is not a hardback so some care needed bending the pages over but I guess its a book to be used so don't worry too much about that. The only section which is hard to navigate when trying to identify a particular species is flowers.
on 23 June 2012
While hardly a pocket book or an in depth coverage of wildlife it is a very comprehensive and excellent book covering some areas that are omitted from some similar books.
It is divided into 8 sections plus some supporting information the 8 sections are:-
* Trees
* Wild Flowers and other Plants
* Fungi and Lichen
* Mammals
* Birds
* Reptiles and Amphibians
* Fish
* Invertebrates
Each entry has a number of photographs and an information box giving abbreviated information which together with the photographs is useful for quick identification. The section on Fungi also tells how poisonous or not various Fungi are although having seen how similar poisonous and edible varieties are I would not be brave enough to use this book to collect Fungi for eating.
on 24 May 2011
Slightly too large to be considered pocket sized but that is the only fault I can find. My 5 and 2 year old have spent ages researching bugs, birds and fauna on walks and hols. Good pictures. Just the right amount of information to help identify. Highly recommended for any age from 0 to 90
on 20 December 2010
This is one of the best books I have looked through and is perfect for a weekend stroll or a week away. I have recently got more and more involved with watching birds and such like and this book is fantastic. My partner goes fishing most weekends and I love exploring the area around where we are based. I have discovered so many fascinating plants, birds, animals and insects with this book and also settled many debates!!! A great all round overlook of nature and has some great bits of info about each specie, the photography in it is of brilliant quality.
on 9 October 2014
Bought these as competition prizes for a bug photography competition as they have a good range of bird, mammal, reptile, amphibian, fish, invertebrate and plant species with lovely photos and good information. It covers lots, so isn't the most comprehensive but is a good general flick through guide for those with a general interest in wildlife. It's a goo starting poinbt to look up more detail from other sources.

There are better books for individual groups, but this is a great introductory book that brings all the groups together in a very accessible way. It starts with trees, then flowering plants, grasses, fungi, mammals, bird, reptiles and amphibians, fish, butterflies, moths (including some of the conspicuous caterpillars) some of less well known insects, beetles, plant bugs, dragonflies and damselflies and aquatic invertebrates (some freshwater and marine). I also like that arachnids, myriapods and gastropods are touched upon although mostly in reference to families.

It's listed as "Pocket Nature" but it's a bit on the heavy side and too big for pockets, so you might not want to take it as a field guide but great for reference when you get home.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Typical of the high quality of all Dorling Kindersley publications, this reference work is wonderful and a joy to own. The graphic images are magnificent and make identification of wildlife a doddle.

I first became aware of it when a neighbour purchased one in town, so I went on to Amazon and was delighted to find it at a price several pounds lower than she had paid. Good old Amazon, came up trumps again.

Dave.