5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
Nice layout, great photography and just the right amount of info on each entry. Granted, the text is not as detailed as a Collins Field Guide, but given the number of species covered this would be impossible without turning the book into some unwieldy carbuncle. A great little guide to throw in the backpack on a day out, simple as that.
Published on 7 Jun 2009 by C. Bellingham

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless as a field guide
So agree with Peter. Expensive, pretty book, but useless for identifying anything. Within the themes of plan / animal etc, there is no patterm no system, to help you find things. Items are not arraged by colour, habitat, size, in alphabetical order or anything else I can detect. Useless, impulse purchase because it was a DK book - I should've looked closer.
Published 3 months ago by Patrick Beautement

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Jun 2009
C. Bellingham "Craig B." (Scotland) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A good reference book to keep in the car, 26 July 2009
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain (Paperback)
Whilst this is hardly a pocket book, it is compact enough to pack into a haversack for a day out. Quite comprehensive coverage of anything you are likely to see on a day out and enough detail for the average nature lover who only wants to be able to try to identify, birds, fungus etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars wildlife of britain, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain (Paperback)
a very informative and easy to read book. it covers trees,fungi,birds animals,flowers and grasses,fish, insects, moths and butterflies. it's a good reference book for those with a general interest in british wildlife. the ideal companion for a day in the countryside. it's not a book for your pocket, but will fit neatly in a rucksack.it covers most nature topics, good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Pocket Guide, 23 Oct 2010
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain (Paperback)
I bought this book to help me in my work as a mountain leader and canoe guide. I needed something that was informative and portable enough to take out with me on the hills or down a river. Though not quite as 'pocket able' or portable as I would like it is still packable. I would have liked it in more of an A5 type guide book size as I find this size easier to pack and use. These minor gripes apart it is a great book. It is very informative and well laid out, it is also full of quality diagrams of the most common species of British wildlife. There are around a 1,000 species of animal, plant and fungi found in the book and I found that the book was great as a field guide to identify species giving you just about enough information to be going on with. I have given it a four star rating only because I cannot give it 4.5 stars. I would detract half a star on account of it being advertised as a pocket guide book and I think it falls short of that...however it has helped me enormously as a field guide and I would advise anybody to buy the book if they want a quality field manual on British wildlife. Excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 24 May 2011
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain (Paperback)
Slightly too large to be considered pocket sized but that is the only fault I can find. My 5 and 2 year old have spent ages researching bugs, birds and fauna on walks and hols. Good pictures. Just the right amount of information to help identify. Highly recommended for any age from 0 to 90

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless as a field guide, 5 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wildlife Guide, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain (Paperback)
It covers almost all wildlife I am likely to come across in the UK. Great to have it all in one book. Illustrations are really good. Obviously the bird section is not as detailed as the Collins Guide to Birds (of which I have a copy-excellent guide to British and European birds) but you can't expect that from an all in one guide. Some illustrations have features pointed out with arrows to help with identification 'in the field'-very helpful. It saves carrying loads of books in my rucksack when out and about photographing wildlife. If I do carry a second book it is the Collins Guide to Birds. Would definitely recommend. It is not a hardback so some care needed bending the pages over but I guess its a book to be used so don't worry too much about that. The only section which is hard to navigate when trying to identify a particular species is flowers.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reference book, 30 July 2013
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain (Paperback)
This is a great guide and simple to use wildlife reference book. A little on the heavy side for a handbag but if you have a day sac for a walk it is perfect

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginners book, 24 July 2013
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain (Paperback)
This is a great book for someone who wants a starting point for identifying wildlife, whether in the garden or out and about. It covers a wide range of categories - trees, wildflowers, insects, birds, etc, etc. Obviously in a book this size it can't be comprehensive, but the coverage is fantastic for a single book. I've found that as my interest has deepened I've bought a few more specialist books, but I didn't really know what areas I'd become particularly interested in until I'd used a more general book like this, and I still like to carry it with me on a walk or have it to hand if I'm in the garden, while I have some more specialist books at home. The pictures are all photos, which are mostly clear, but I think drawings can make identification easier and I did find some wild flowers difficult to identify from the photos in this book, but when that happens I normally take photos and then double check with other books or internet when I get home. Its worth knowing that, despite being called a "pocket" guide, this is quite a heavy volume, a couple of centimetres thick and weights around 700g, which might be off putting for some people if you are looking for something lightweight, but I find it fine for carrying in a backpack. On the whole I would recommend this as a good general nature identification guide, either for someone starting out in this hobby, or for someone with a general interest, and it's good value for money too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have looked through and is perfect for a weekend stroll or a week away. I have recently got more and more involved with watching birds and such like and this book is fantastic. My partner goes fishing most weekends and I love exploring the area around where we are based. I have discovered so many fascinating plants, birds, animals and insects with this book and also settled many debates!!! A great all round overlook of nature and has some great bits of info about each specie, the photography in it is of brilliant quality.

RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain
RSPB Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain by Rspb (Paperback - 1 April 2009)
10.49