Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 March 2008
Wonderful book:visually stunning,mass of information on each page makes it useful for general information on the rock types and small blocks of text present the more technical detail.
Purchased for a bright 7 year old.He could cope as he was held by the dramatic photographs and very visual nature of each page.The text is too technical for a child but accessible if read with an adult.Great for a general introduction on how rocks are formed, the types and wonderful vivid close ups of minerals and crystals.
A pity there is no colour index to help in identification.If you know your purple crystal is amethyst its easy to find more detail, if you want a book as a guide to identifying rock and mineral easily this is not for you.
on 1 November 2008
This book is great and is the only book a lot of people will ever need or want to own on this subject, brimming with great photos as usual from DK, this book also covers Gemstones which was my primary interest, I previously bought Gemstones of the World by W.Schumann (small life sized photos)which is a good pocket guide but if I had bought this book first I would have saved money by needing no others. This really is a very pleasing book, I certainly will not buy another book on this subject without seeing it first as I feel sure it will disappoint after this book. So if you do not need to carry it, because this book is quite heavy and hardback, buy this book first.
on 23 December 2009
I use this book in conjunction with others, but it could easily stand alone as the best with regard to the photos. Excellent.
on 23 October 2010
I collect books from DK because of its excellent design, beautiful pictures and great information volume. This book is no exception. I have been reading it since the first page and do not cease to be amazed every time I turn over a leaf! I am no expert on this subject and I can not point out any flaws, but I guarantee that this book is as entertaining as informative.

Another excellent book from DK!
on 14 July 2009
An excellent book for the geological make up of rocks and minerals that I had been looking for, not an instinctual area for me. Well put together, intuitive and has fantastic visuals.
on 1 September 2014
I have the hobby of collecting rocks (small ones) from places I visit such as Llangollen or Wharfedale and to try and identify them and sort them into one of three categories. While doing so I learn something of the geology of the area and maybe a little history. Makes the field trip more rewarding and memorable. This is one of several books I have purchased on the same topic so as to give me a spread of 'photos and description. The book comes recommended and I am glad I bought it.
on 12 February 2010
This is a great book full of lots of basic information and photographs for an adult beginner or young teenager. If you are interested in crystals, fossils and rocks and just starting to learn about where they come from, how they were created, historical and scientific facts then this book is worth considering. It is not too heavy and you can quite easily dip into it. Each page is full of good photographs/illustrations which break up the text and makes the book fascinating and enjoyable to browse. There is a small table for each rock, fossil, crystal which gives all the technical details about each one.
on 23 May 2013
I love this book with every inch of my heart :) Beautiful photos, nice chapters on how rocks are formed, mined, thrilling read about how stones "behave", form, what is their structure, where they are found, what various forms each "species" can be found in etc. Highly recommended for "stone lovers", you will not be dissapointed.
on 6 August 2015
Book very nicely layed out, clear good photos and good descriptions of rocks and minerals, all you need to know about them, very easy to follow. I
I'm very pleased with the book. Excellent, good for me to show and explain about the rocks and minerals to my young grandchildren (aged 8 & 6) who are showing an interest in the subject.
on 6 January 2013
This is a stunning book packed with information and beautiful photographs. It would be a great gift for anyone interested in crystals or geology and I feel would be especially inspirational to young teenagers. Its a good book just to leave out on the coffee table for anyone to pick up and have a look at. Hard to put down.