I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Sydney Opera House

 Top 10 Casual Dining
 Top 10 Pubs & Bars
 Top 10 Gay & Lesbian Friendly Places
(This is some, not all)

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 11 February 2010
Book comes with clear information, also a small strong independent pocket size map.

Would liked to have seen some prices though, making planning a lot easier for those on a budget.

Its good value, and will use it daily on our stay in Sydney.

Can be posted through letter box
on 11 October 2011
This Top 10 guide covers all the essential details needed for a short, or even a longer visit, it also includes street and public transport maps. It fits neatly into a pocket or small handbag. An ideal sized guide when visiting a number of destinations.
on 5 January 2013
Bought this for a friends son who has gone to Sidney to start his travels around Oz,when he opened it he was really impressed and immediately started making plans for where to go and what to see.
on 7 September 2011
This is an excellent compact guide book covering all the essentials. It contains an excellent pull out map and is the only guide book you really need for a trip to Sydney
on 5 October 2010
Really good purchase, easy to read and very helpful if you are planning a holiday in sydney or to take with you and good price
on 8 November 2013
Not study this book only quick look. good at what I've seen so far. lots of useful information looking forward to my trip.
on 3 January 2013
Although small in size this book has plenty of advice about visiting Sydney! Good preparation for a trip of a lifetime!
on 19 May 2012
Nice pocket size book full of information...made it easy to help pull together our list of things to do for our trip!
on 8 February 2011
Top Ten Sydney is another unnecessary addition to the travel literature for the city. Synopsis: walk around Sydney Harbour and view/visit what interests you. Don't buy this, it's pointless if you already have a national travel guide.