TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 November 2008
A quite incredible and beautifully presented book filled to the brim with stunning photographs and intelligent synopsis of animal behaviour. Set in the same manner as the other similar DK books; Animal, Human, Earth etc it is a mesmerising experience just randomly flicking through it.
There are three main sections; Animal Kingdom, Animal Anatomy and Animal Behaviour that cover lots of sub sections which I will list in more detail below.
It has been compiled by Charlotte Uhlenbroek best known for her work with primates and a whole host of other expert zoologists, ecologists, biologists, photographers etc and is breathtaking in its detail, explanation and depiction of animal life on earth. It is very glossy and just a beautiful book in itself, I would have this on my bookshelf even if I was indifferent to the subject matter.
I cannot imagine anyone not being captivated by the imagery in this book and it will draw you in with its user friendly, colourful, action packed, intelligent and superlative imagery. What a beautiful, beautiful world it is.

Animal Kingdom: What is an Animal?; Evolution; Animal History; Classification; Animal Groups.

Animal Anatomy: Skeletons and Muscles; Movement; Body Coverings; Body Systems; Senses.

Animal Behaviour: Living Space; Hunting and Feeding; Defence; Sex and Reproduction; Birth and Development; Society; Communication; Intelligence.

Within the sub sections it is also helpfully catagorised relevantly e.g the Defence section within Animal Behaviour covers 'Weapons and threats' 'Camouflage and deception' and 'Group defence' as seperate chapters.
10/10
33 comments18 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2009
This is the first time I have felt moved to review a book. The review above tells you what's in it, so I'm just going to add my agreement to everything they've said, especially about the sheer volume of fascinating information and amazing photography. My 3yr old son picked this up (just - it's a heavy tome!) at the library, and has spent the last four days flicking through it over and over again. The pictures inspire him to ask lots of questions. It's going back to the library and we're buying our own copy! Wonderful, beautiful, fascinating book.
on 24 October 2008
Fantastic visual reference to the wonders of the animal kingdom - well up to the usual high standards of DK's other Definitive Visual Guides.

And worth every penny of the £9 I paid through TheBookPeople.co.uk!!!
22 comments10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2011
This book is simply stunning. Filled with stunning images and all the information on animals and their behaviour you will ever need. Put togethor as a visual guide is great if you are a visual learner like myself. Sections include, genes and evolution, animal anatomy, senses and behaviour. I am studying to be a zoo keeper and this book is a must have for anyone doing the same.
on 21 September 2012
I purchased this book for my daughter who is doing a Level 3 Animal Care course. She has not put it down since receiving it and says that it is really going to help her with her studies. The pictures are stunning and the descriptions are easy to understand. This is a fantastic book, not just for people who are studying but also for the animal enthusiast in general. This is a very large and heavy book so it would not be iedeal to carry around at college all day, more for reference at home. Highly recommended.
on 27 September 2010
This book is absolutely incredible! The shear depth and scope is breathtaking - I can barely comprehend how much time and effort went into creating this masterful book.
Reasons why it's good:
1) Awesome photographs - hundreds of beautiful images capturing the animals
2) Huge wealth of information - there is so much to learn, it would take you a lifetime to remember everything in it; it's the perfect educational tool.
3) Well presented - every one of its big pages are very well laid out and pretty
4) Addictive - I found it very hard to put back in my bookshelf. I have literally got it out during (drunken student) house parties, put it in people's faces and said "look how amazing this book is. Look at this Orangutan's face." They soon get sucked in as well.
5) It's like a gateway into a world of mystery and wonder - constantly baffled by nature's creations

Reason's why it's not good:
1) none.

Buy it :)
on 22 October 2014
has stunning photographs
has been very useful for getting scientific names of animals
and some back ground information on different types of animals body systems and how they work

was well worth the amount it costs and even though the size of the book and it having a delicate covering it arrived in a brand new condition
arrived when it was expected to
overall extremely pleased with the book and I am still using it today
on 20 November 2009
I bought this book yesterday and couldn't put it down all evening! Its absolutely jam packed with info and wonderful photographs. It's great for in depth study or even just to dip into when you're having a cuppa! If you're looking for a book on animals, this is the one. It would make a perfect christmas gift too.
on 4 November 2010
This book's jam packed with information about all animals known to man ... I think. It shows the skeletons of animals ... not real ones ... and where their brains and everything is. It just basically tells you everything about animals. I think it's brilliant!
on 6 March 2013
I bought this for my grandaughter,she wants to be a vet and loving animals, she was thrilled with it :-) Animal Life book