5.0 out of 5 stars DK Guides are Good

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful when you get there
Published on 21 Feb 2010 by HelenaK

5.0 out of 5 stars DK Guides are Good, 27 April 2009
David Cole - See all my reviews
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: South Africa (Paperback)
For years I bought Rough Guides, Time Out and Lonely Planet guides for places I was visiting. More recently I've bought these, and I think they are much more readable and therefore useable. Maybe the other three are aimed at a younger market, and I've now moved out of that demographic, and like the photos, exploded diagrams, and shorter narative. Maybe they are just less daunting...

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful when you get there, 21 Feb 2010
I skimmed through the relevant chapters in this book several times before our holiday in South Africa. It's one of those books that don't make much sense until you get there. Once you are in the country it's useful as a reference guide and I use it to tick off places I've seen etc. I'm not sure it's useful to have so much detail of certain things, eg layouts of buildings and castles. It's very touristic and won't cover things that you experience whilst driving along and often you see something but it's not in the book. It also tends to push you to the tourist activities rather than see it yourself activities. For example, the referral to Boulders Beach Penguin Colony near Simon's Town was a hot spot of tourists, including a bunch of Japanese tour groups, and you had to pay to get in to see the Penguins. Instead if you drive 5 more min you can spot Penguins without tourists and having to pay. I'm all for exploring yourself without being told what to do by a book.
To summarise, useful when you arrive in South Africa to figure out what you have seen and what tourists like seeing.
Be aware that it doesn't contain useful maps for driving. You are better off buying one when you get to South Africa. Also, if you have an interest in animals and plants, get another book as this one won't cover flora and fauna.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2009 Travel Companion, 20 April 2009
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: South Africa (Paperback)
Travelled with it in January-February 2009 from Joburg to Cape Town. Gives you a good list of must see places although does skip a few places you inevitably pass on your way and ask yourself a questions this book simply doesn't have any answers to as if big portions of the country simply do not exist. All in all, it does the job, giving you a bit of history, little tips and a good background. Map wise - you need a proper atlas that is easy to get and comes free should you rent a car with a major rental company. the book is politically correct, sometimes dry and certainly won't substitute the live experience of interacting with the locals. Perfect for preparation home work you need to do before the planned trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent present for someone going to South Africa for the first time, 17 July 2010
Mr. A. J. Downs (UK) - See all my reviews
This book was purchased as a birthday present for someone who is due to visit Sout Africa for the first time, and I have not therefore had a chance to do more than glance through it. My impression, though, is of a well organised and informative guidebook which is unusually well illustrated and makes a welcome and civilised change from Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books which seem to be directed to an audience of scroungers.

5.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, 8 Dec 2013
went to volunteer in South Africa this guide was ver informative plenty to read about and plenty of details to see and do whilst there

4.0 out of 5 stars Airplane read, 29 April 2013
I read this from cover to cover on a 6 hour flight the other day in preparation for our family trip to S. Africa in August 2013. We plan on going to the Kruger, Pretora, Durban and the Cape so this comprehensive book of those areas (and more) has helped hone a plan that hopefully will give pleasure to all of us. I certainly feel better prepared for having read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great additionn to my collection, 30 Mar 2013
Even for destinations I have not (yet) visited, I love reading this series of guides. They bring the destination to life in superb detail. The guide is easy to read with lots of colourful depictions and it covers every aspect of your trip. My bookshelf is now filling up with the Eyewitness books and I do not intend to stop with this one. But on this occasion I really am going to South Africa and it is making my holiday a little easier to plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for planning, 9 Feb 2013
Mrs. M. Needham "Intrepid traveller" (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this when I was looking to plan a trip to South Africa and really didn't have a lot of knowledge about the country. I wanted something that would help me with my planning and would ensure that I made the right choices in terms of what I should do. I have foudn the guide very helpful and as and when I travel to South Africa it will travel with me. A good resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of useful info, 5 Feb 2013
Ms. Helen Jennings (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this when I was still on the planning stage of my holiday to South Africa. It was a great help. I took it with us when we went and it was invaluable whilst we were there. A great little handy sized book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to South Africa, 2 Jan 2013
DK South Africa guide.

A comprehensive guide ideal for helping you plan your trip to S A. highlighting areas to visit and sound, practical advice for travellers.

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: South Africa
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: South Africa by Michael Brett (Paperback - 2 Aug 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01