on 28 July 2013
Absolutely brilliant this book has changed the way I think about my children's behaviour,
Backed up with scientific evidence to support advice our house is much more peaceful.
And when things are not going well I can turn to this book for support.
on 8 February 2013
Excellent text book or parental guide - fits both perfectly in an non patronising and fully researched manner. Too many weirdy, poorly researched so called parent gurus out there who are unfortunately gathering followers (Gina Ford, Super Nanny - I aim that at you two directly!). I am a health visitor and could not sing this books praise enough. As I said for parents or for text book for child development - excellent.
on 16 January 2008
What Every Parent Needs to Know: The Incredible Effects of Love, Nurture and Play on Your Child's Development (Paperback

These two books are TOTALLY IDENTICAL despite having different titles, straplines and Amazon recommending you buy the two togeter
99 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2006
This book is fantastic- Really practical and interesting and seems well backed up by research. I finished it within 48 hours as I couldn't put it down, and am about to buy it for a number of friends and family. Instinct isn't all you need to be an excellent parent and really good advice helps iron out any faulty thinking you may have picked up. I am intending to make some adjustments straight away. The author makes sense.
on 16 November 2007
a really inspirational book - i wish i had read it when my children were younger - nevertheless it has inspired me to try lots more positive interactions with my kids and know that their brain is growing as a result
on 22 May 2013
Ignore the negative reviews, EVERY parent needs to know whats in this book. This book will help ensure you don't have any regrets with your children. Even if you don't find it helpful to you (which you will) then at least you are aware of the facts.
I know It will help me show empathy and try and understand what's going on in my little one's heads so i can be an attentive and loving parent by trying to always put myself in their shoes. I loved it - so refreshing to hear scientific facts about what goes on in our bodies, rather than so called 'parent experts' (who don't even have kids, eg Gina Ford and Tracy Hogg) who set rigid rules and teach to train children like dogs which only benefit the parents, not the children. What we do with our children when they are young, effects them for life.
Just buy this book, if you have a heart, you won't be disappointed.
on 16 June 2011
The advice in this book is really important. It is empowering & reminds parents of the the importance of following their own instincts. For example, it currently seems the norm for controlled crying to be recommended by Health Visitors & touted as the quick fix & answer for sleep problems etc. but do you know why it is so upsetting to hear a baby cry? It's because babies shouldn't be left to cry - they should be loved & comforted & held. I learned a lot from this book, particularly that a quiet child is not necessarily a happy child. A child left alone to cry simply learns that no-one answers their cries, so they give up trying to communicate their needs & are left silently distressed, abandoned & powerless. Children can't comfort themselves they need a loving parent to calm their fears & help them relax & feel loved & comforted, so themselves learning to trust & feel secure. A toddler misbehaving or having a tantrum doesn't need 'time out', they need more 'time in', they need comforting & calming to deal with their big uncontrollable emotions. A clingy child doesn't need an enforced separation - they need to be allowed to cling before they confidently & tentatively explore further & further on their own, securely knowing that a loving parent is still there whenever they feel the need to 'touch base'. There is lots of interesting 'scientific' information in this book - the science & brain chemistry of emotions & feelings & how children develop to become confident adults. This book is a useful reference for parents with babies & children of all ages.
on 8 January 2009
I really wish I had read this book prior to having my first child. Unfortunately, the book had not been published when my first child was born.

This book confirms what I instinctively know is 'right'. However, I didn't dare voice my thoughts (or even practice them) when my first child was born because much of Margot Sunderland's advice in the book goes against what is considered as mainstream parenting practice. At least, where I live in.

For example, I have never felt comfortable with the idea of "controlled crying", whereby you leave your 1 month old baby alone in their cot, in their own room, to cry themselves to sleep. However, I was told at the time by someone was a great advocate of controlled crying, "I have never known a baby die from crying themselves to sleep". Nevermind. The book is now published and her advice is still very useful in other ways.

By the way, if you are a fan of a certain author who has written a book about routines and contented babies, you will probably not take to this book. You will probably be rather critical.
However, if you are into "attachment parenting", you will probably enjoy the read and agree with the views and reasoning.
on 18 January 2008
Outstanding !!!. That is all I can say.

Certain suggestions in the book might seem difficult to act upon, but never impossible. A little bit of parental patience will make your child a confident and a responsible young man/woman. While going through the book you will realize how true each and every stated finding is.

It says about handling a small baby as well as toddlers. I would suggest this book to all new parents and to the parents who have some behavioural issues with their children.
on 5 May 2008
Having studied Neuroscience/Psychology, I was relieved to find a book which gave me the type of information I was looking for. We have gained valuable insights into parent/child relationships and child behaviour from this book, which you can really feel working in practice. This book has offered great support and has empowered us to be effective parents.