5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Oct. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
This book is a great guide to get you started with ballet as it starts at the very beginning by showing you all the positions and simple words and phrases. if you have never done ballet before and are a child then this is a good book for you. I goes through all the simple movements and steps by show you the different stages of each movement and lots of pictures of demonstrations. When you have worked through the moves you can begin on the two dances included, one easier than the other. After that it shows you how to work "en pointe" (On point shoes). In the very end it shows you costumes, tutus, make up and miming stories with ballet. I found this book very inspiring. It also helps for young girls that the demonstrations are done by other girls their age which is very motivating!
It also includes a DVD with videos of all the movements and dances to help.
A great book for mainly girls though could be for a boy teaching beginners step by step ballet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing buy!, 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
My daughter has just started ballet and she's been looking for a book to learn some ballet moves. It is amazingly cheap and it is also show's you different moves there is also video's showing people who are members of english national ballet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem for budding ballerina, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
My 5-year-old was glued to the chair whenever I played the DVD from this book. The dancers in the video were all children, which helped my daughter to relate to. And it stated very clearly what each ballet vocaulary means. Good for budding ballerina aged 4 to 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book and dvd!!, 30 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
I bought this for my 8 year old ballet mad daughter, she loved the book but loved the instructional dvd more, it has encouraged her to practice so I am a very happy mom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ballet book & DVD, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
A good introductory book for a young girl setting out in ballet - or for an older girl like me revisiting and taking it up again alongside yoga. The instructions are clear; the DVD is a bonus and I can use the book & DVD equally for home practice. I wish there were boys and men included as well, though. Male ballet dancers - boys and men - are essential for ballet to be a complete language, and their dancing can be mesmerising. If I were making a new edition of this I'd limit the pink and frills, update the costumes and add some beautiful male dancers too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab pressie for my little ballerina, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
My DD has been going to ballet for a year now and thought this was the perfect thing for to have to be able to practice some moves at home in the holidays. Even has fab description for me to learn to do ballet buns in her hair !

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
I bought this book for a couple of reasons:

I had bought a ballet fitness dvd. The dvd is wonderful, BUT...

The instructor kept saying, "Now go to position 3, now position 1," etc...

I have never done ballet in my life, so I had no idea what the instructor was talking about. And I couldn't figure out how to stand exactly. The instructor just assumes anyone watching the dvd knows this basic stuff. Also, it isn't clear from watching her just how your feet are supposed to be.

I have found this book absolutely invaluable. Yes, it is geared toward little girls. But if you ignore that, you learn some fascinating insights into the ballet world. AND, I have learned the positions too!

(FYI, I am, ahem, in my late forties, eeeek!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for young ballerinas, 5 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
I ordered this for my 7 year old who has started ballet it is really great, the DVD is very helpful and my daughter loves to watch it as it shows young ballerinas dancing and practising postures, And as a mum that doesn't know much about ballet the book was very helpful and is full of information. Over all a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present for a little ballerina, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
Perfect present for a little ballerina! I havent seen the DVD yet but the book is lovely with all the steps in clear pictures. My 8yo loves this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Instructional, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet (Hardcover)
Haven't played the DVD yet as its a gift, but the book looks great. Lots of information and pictures. I think my daughter, 8, will love it.

Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet
Ballerina: A Step-by-Step Guide to Ballet by Jane Hackett (Hardcover - 10 Jan. 2008)