Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 October 2009
I bought this book at the same time as I bought Anti Cancer: A new way of life by David Servan-Schreiber. This book provides more easily accessible information on what things to eat and drink that will help you fight cancer. The chapters are divided into the different food stuffs and the whole book is colourful and clear.

However, if you want a more in depth understanding of why there is a cancer epidemic in the West, how to use the food and drink prescribed and much more on the scientific evidence and reasonings behind this try Anti Cancer - in fact I would recommend buying both
on 2 December 2009
My husband is undergoing treatment for cancer for a second time. He is very positive and I wanted to be as much help as possible to him. I found this book to be so helpful and interesting. Not only have I listed foods that have been proved to fight cancer and why but I have been able to pick the foods that are good with his type of cancer.
It is a bit technical but gives hope and enabled me to fight too.
on 3 March 2010
Mind opening book on the importance of diet and nutrition not only in the prevention but also in the fight against cancer. The authors have been at the forefront of food anticancer properties research. A must read.
on 30 November 2010
I bought this book shortly after being diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33. Having never smoked, drunk excessively, been overweight or had any family history of breast cancer in my family I was interested in finding out how diet might have contributed. I have found this book incredibly helpful. Whilst obviously it is ultimately the treatment I receive that will make me better, I very much want to do everything I can to prevent the cancer returning. This book is very easy to follow and I have 'tweaked' my diet in accordance with their evidence based conclusions. An excellent book.
on 25 July 2011
this book is not only for cancer patients - in fact it is for EVERYBODY!! in my opinion this book, i.e. the research and its findings should form part of every school's teaching itinery.
the book explains what cancer is and how the malicious cells form and spread. this is done 'technically simple', i.e. although medical/technical terms are used, the language and description is easily understood by anybody.
you are not only told to 'do this or that because it helps', you are explained WHY and HOW a change of your diet and the preparation method of your food help to prevent cancer.
further, the food looked at is not anything 'exotic' - no, we are talking about onions, garlic, chocolate, rasberries, ... i.e. just our normal day to day food.
GO BUY IT - READ IT - LIVE IT - SPREAD THE INFO.
(rest assured, i am not paid for this, but i lost both parents to cancer and it is not nice to say the least! beat the beast!!)
good health!
on 1 November 2009
Easy to understand. Full of simple to implement advice. In places a bit idealistic (read unrealistic) but overall an informative read that wasn't a chore to get through. Definately gave me a starting point of how to change my family's diet in relation to helping someone through chemotherapy, however would still reccommend if just looking for a helpful, not too patronising diet-changing advice book.
on 24 July 2010
It's a shame about this book. There's lots of interesting information in it and as it's published by DK, it's beautifully laid out and with lush photographs. However, if I was the authors' editor, I would suggest that they re-think who their readership is likely to be. This book is targetted at encouraging people to make diet changes to prevent cancer. Supposedly, those readers would also need other books to help them prevent heart problems, diabetes, Alzheimers, strokes, etc. and maybe those diets would not be the same. So, I think that this book either needs to be about eating a diet that optimises prevention of all health problems or is modified to target cancer sufferers, showing them how diet changes can reduce their symptoms and prevent further problems. Since, 1 in 3 people will get cancer that second group should still provide a large enough potential market.

If you have already bought 'Anticancer; a new way of life' you can probably get away without buying this book. The Anticancer book covers the main points of the 'Foods...' book.
on 20 May 2014
Published by Dorling Kindersley this is of course a beautifully presented book, but if you are looking for hard information about what to eat and what to avoid if you have or which to prevent caner, you will find basic information here but all padded around with a load of extra info that is not really necessary. If you are looking for this kind of book, a much better option is Anti Cancer by David Servan-Schreiber
on 17 April 2011
This is an invaluable book to anyone wishing to avoid or help cure cancer (and many other diseases). Knowing just what you are eating and how it can effect you now and your future health has got to be something we all must priorities. I firmly adhere to the principle of "prevention is better than cure", take a little time to think "what could this food do to/for me"?. Okay, we all like to eat the wrong food sometimes (I know I do), it is though what we consume everyday that matters the most - this book tells us exactly what we need to know on that score.
on 22 November 2015
You would think this was a positive book which readers could use as a great self-help tool. I bought this for a cancer patient - the first section has horrible information about cancer, frightening stats etc - I don't see the point of this - everyone going through cancer already knows how awful it is - the book I feel should concentrate on what it says on the cover. the person I bought it for was reading it for 10 mins and read a terrifying statistic about their type of cancer - I feel so guilty and wish I had read it first. My advice - don't buy it for anyone going through cancer unless you rip out the first section of doom and gloom first.