on 27 June 2008
A Slice of Organic Life

Edited by Sheherazade Goldsmith

You don't have to live in the countryside, spend a lot of money, vote Green or be a vegetarian to be just a little bit more aware of our fragile environment, and to do your bit to lead a lifestyle that is thoughtful and working with nature rather than against it - this is the message imparted in 352 pages of ideas and suggestions.

The title describes the book perfectly - "slices" of organic life. You can take from the book what suits you - as many slices as you can handle, and there is always the opportunity to return and take another slice when you can manage it. It is beautifully illustrated with photography by Peter Anderson with subjects to suit someone living in an apartment through to those on a small lifestyle property or small holding.

I thought I would list a few of my favourite slices but I can't single any out - instead I ponder on which idea I will set in motion to change a daily habit that I know will ultimate simplify and enrich my life and that of my family.
on 8 February 2008
This beautifully illustrated volume brings together a whole host of tips and ideas to help to change your lifestyle without becoming overwhelming. You can dip into it at leisure and easily find projects to try out as the book is helpfully divided into sections for people who have no garden, a very small garden area, or a large garden or access to an allotment.

Excellent book - I definitely recommend it!
on 11 October 2007
I only got this today and I've browsed through it cover to cover... it's very inspiring and really makes you think about the environment. It's full of little projects whether you have a big garden to no garden at all! My first projects are to get a wormery and a water butt, followed by creating a small veg garden.

It even shows you how to keep chickens, goats, pigs and cows!!
on 26 November 2009
The book has lots of ideas for being greener but doesn't really give you the tools to do it. For instance it suggests that you could keep hens - but you can't explain all the nuances of hen keeping in two pages. Goats and bees also get two pages. Good as a jumping off point but nothing more.I also found it rather consumerist. There was an implication at times that one might buy one's way into greeness, when in fact most of the time it's the opposite that we all need to do!
on 8 March 2013
I love this book although I don't think my partner does - we now have worms, chickens, chemical free toiletries (expensive!), organic veg boxes and I clean everything with vinegar haha! Can totally relate to the author that as a mother you become conscious of your environment, the food you eat and the products you use. Some of these projects are easier than others but definitely worth a read.
on 31 August 2015
A great introduction to all the essentials of an holistic lifestyle. It's content is clear and concise, full of useful tips, and supported by excellent photographs. An ideal book for coffee tables, enhancing your personal health and that of the planet. Highly recommended.
on 27 July 2009
this is good source of information, i wish there was more on eco cleaning/beatuy products as that is the information i am looking for. i love the way the book is sectioned up. over all a helpful book that i keep picking up to have a look through.
on 15 June 2010
Great book, loads of inspiring ideas and good pictures. Makes all sorts of things completely possible for pretty much anyone. Printed on lovely paper.
Thoroughly recommend this book.
on 24 August 2013
just what ive been looking for, very informative it tells you everything you need to know about going organic, HAPPY
on 19 June 2007
This book is full of really cool ways to become a little greener. It is clear with loads of pictures and has left me totally inspired.
0Comment14 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse