on 30 July 2008
I have a small back garden, and wanted to plant some veg, but had no idea where to start, what would survive, how much space I'd need & what would grow in small spaces.

This book gave me a darn good start! It gave me an idea of space required per vegetable, what would grow, and, this sumnmer, I have courgettes & pumpkins in my flowerbeds, carrots, peas, beans, beetroot and spinach in big pots, potatoes in tyres and a HUGE amount of enthusiasm for next year!
0Comment|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2009
All there is to say is that I bought this book a few months ago and now I eat fresh veg out of the garden several times a week! This book is simple but effective.
on 24 October 2008
This book is a great basic guide on how to prepare a vegetable bed and advice on how to plant various veg. Cant wait to start planting up my new veg plot next year! :)
on 22 April 2013
Excellent book for novices like us. Step by step pictures for techniques with explanations, list of tools, short chapters, but still full of information as they are straight to the point. Takes a lot of thinking and trouble out of planning and gives ideas for how, what and where to grow - what will grow in given climate/soil/etc., which varieties are the easiest to try one's hands at. From small pots to small plots it explores possible growing spaces. Now we are putting the advice into practice, so we'll see how good the book really is...
on 17 July 2009
I have a small garden and as this was a new project for me this book caught my eye. It is excellent and is crammed with great tips taking you step by step from seed to ready to eat. Highly recomended.
on 3 March 2010
This book was a gift for my neighbour as she wanted to grow her own veg but not be overegrown by it, so the amount of veg to grow was well defined in this book, a perfect solution.
on 6 March 2009
Great book with simple to follow instructions. Full of hints and tips for beginners like me.
on 12 June 2014
Bought it as gift for friend new to gardening who has moved into house with small garden. Found it so good that i ordered one for myself. Easy to understand information,and excellent photos . Another bonus is that it good quality,perfect sized pages in an impervious cover so will cope with being dragged around the garden and greenhouse.,
on 26 June 2010
I have a small garden and this book shows how to use the limited space really efficiently! Beautiful and inspiring photographs, lots of useful advice and tips even down to crop rotation and storing and preserving your crops. My only disappointment is that there's no advice on the best ways to get seeds for sowing the following year,although I'm sure I'll somehow work it out myself!
Can't wait to get started on my veg garden!
on 6 August 2011
I bought this book as a present to somebody that had just got their first garden - despite their garden being tiny they have planted up many vegetables and herbs and reap the rewards year on year. This book has helped with practical advice and demonstrates that no garden is too small for vegetable growing. Useful to keep as part of your collection. Nobody ever has just one gardening book - right ?