5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a beginner, buy it!
I am currently living in Switzerland and decided I would like to try to learn to ski. So this past season I had some lessons with instructors from the official Swiss Ski School. I bought this book in the hope that I could use it as a reminder, during the off season, of what I had learned.

Honestly I was amazed. Everything described in the book and shown on the...
Published on 15 Jun 2009 by Kevin Painter

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it has many step by step full colour illustrations and a DVD showing how to ski which brings the subject to life.

Published on 13 April 2007 by Honest Dude

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a beginner, buy it!, 15 Jun 2009
Kevin Painter (Berlin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)

Honestly I was amazed. Everything described in the book and shown on the DVD, was exactly the same as I had been taught in my lessons. It's a complex activity and not easy to describe or illustrate. I'm not sure any book or DVD can really substitute for a real coach, but as an introduction for a beginner, or as a refresher to a novice, I think this book is excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 13 April 2007
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)

On the other hand, the book is too ambitious and attempts too much, starting from absolute beginners (eg what clothes skiers need) to freestyle jumps and skiing on large bumps. Trying to cover so much in a relatively small book means not enough detail to each aspect of the skiing. To illustrate this, the book is about 150 pages long, (not including the index). Yet it is not until page 50 that the book explains how to actually put on the skis. Clearly much space is given to beginner's matters which many intermediate skiers will not need. To properly cover all this material needs a longer book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Well presented but just not enough detail, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)
I read the book and looked forward to watching the DVD to get the detail, but when I watched the DVD I didn't find it there either. This book and DVD are very well presented and I really like the format, but each topic is covered too superficially. I didn't want a book with pages of text going in to the minutiae of skiing technique but this is far too high level to be useful. The descriptions for key techniques are too brief and what is presented is not always clear. It might be asking too much for a book to be able to teach you to ski but there's no reason why a book can't be written as a good companion for ski lessons. Unfortunately this isn't it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Go Ski by Warren Smith, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)
I would recommend to any first time skiier who is having lessons, or before having lessons. It has lovely photographic illustrations to make the point. It demonstrates the basic skills in skiing. Very readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little book with great DVD, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)
Good little book, very basic though, so not much good if you want to know how to perfect your carve turns etc. DVD is fantastic. I'm new to skiing and I enjoyed watching how to ski properly before trying things out on the slope myself. Goes from talking about the correct equipment, to fitness, snow plough turns, parallel turns, carving and much much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars go ski, 3 Jun 2011
B. Davis (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)
GREAT BOOK AND VIDEO, LOADS OF TIPS FOR BOTH THE NOVIS SKIER AND THE ADVANCED SKIER WELL WORTH THE MONEY.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lot in one small book, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)
this trys to cover a lot from cover to cover - each section and pictures are easy to understand backed up with the DVD - but for me leaps from one extreme to the other - but its aimed at a large audience and there is something for every level

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book and DVD, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)
This is an excellent book to read prior to a ski trip to gain some knowledge of the techniques required. The accompanying DVD also demonstrates the techniques. Last year it helped me improve my skiing and I have just been reviewing it again for this years trip.

Its mainly aimed at beginners but does have very useful information for intermediate and advanced skiers who should maybe just refresh their memories prior to a trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Ski, 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)
I brought this on recommendation from my ski instructor, the book and DVD are extremely useful to all, advanced or beginner. The book is easy to follow and the dvd shows this in practice. It has definately helped me learn to ski.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pam M, 6 Jan 2010
P. J. Maitland "PM1" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go Ski (Paperback)
This book and DVD are very good for all those who wish to learn to ski and also for those intermediate skiers who need to brush up on the essential drills for improving technique. Great pictures and demonstrations.

Go Ski
Go Ski by Warren Smith (Paperback - 2 Nov 2006)