5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational...
Published on 15 April 2009 by J. Haynes

3.0 out of 5 stars good but for pros
this book stated that it was to better your skills and as as i read the other comments i bought it. unfortunately it is based on computer programms touching up photos and is far to advanced to "better skills" . its like a behind the scenes of a professional - which yes, he is admitedly; but the point is its is far too intec for people who just want to better their photo...
Published on 10 Dec 2010 by SP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational..., 15 April 2009
This review is from: Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image-manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures (Hardcover)
I am a keen amateur photographer of many years standing and the majority of the books that I buy are purely "technical" in the sense of with new to me software, "Classroom in a Book..." or a major upgrade on something I'm familiar with such as Photoshop, I rarely buy "concept books" a Scott Kelby walk through with his dreadful sense of humour is the closest I get to that.

Perhaps I bought this book just because one of my sons had worked with him on a photographic magazine in the past so that I knew the name. However and for whatever reason, I bought the book and am truly delighted, even for a jaded palette, it is truly inspirational work. In graphical design terms it is beautifully laid out and full of great images. Each section ends with a 'project element' for you to try yourself.

This is not a "follow me/these steps" type of book. It takes a 'topic' and explores the potential whilst explaining the concept and the technical details plus the "why's", the idea is that you take these 'principles' and apply them to something equivalent where you live.

If you think that you know everything, this is not a book for you. If you know little and want to be led by the hand, also not for you. However, if you know a 'bit' and are prepared to go to a higher level in "your photography", well worth buying, reading and using - excellent !

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 4 Oct 2009
As a fairly experienced photographer but quite a novice where digital is concerned I had been looking for a "grown-up" book to guide me through . At last I have found one , this a is a most excellent boook and I can heartily recommend it . It is clear and (so far as I can tell) accurate, beautifully illustrated , and full of useful advice and comment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of book for the money., 11 Aug 2009
Having had an interest in photography for several years, I thought I would invest in a book to help me raise the quality of my images. The first two I bought were certainly ok but not brilliant. However, this book really does a great job.

It would be impossible for any author to transform a poor photographer into a brilliant one, but Tom Ang does a fine job of illustrating the finer points of this art form. Ok, I agree he is covering a massive subject which would be impossible to cover fully in just one book, but if you're a budding enthusiast who is just looking for a little insight and inspiration then you could do a lot worse.

There are 20 tutorials covering basic subjects such as 'key camera controls' and 'exposure control' to 'advanced manipulation' and 'fine art photography'. Ang gives plenty of advice, both technical and artistic. High-lighting such aspects as 'typical errors', as well as 'variations' achieved by altering view point or camera settings. The most useful thing I find is that he gives not just one alternative method to how you might take a photo, but often there will be up to 9 variations. He illustrates how different focal lengths can give very different results. I could go on and on. I know it might seem an obvious thing to say, but every image used in the book is excellent. I mention this because I have seen some publications where the images were rather poor.

This book would have little interest for a seasoned photographer, but if you're an enthusiast looking to up your game but not sure how then give this a go. Not only instructional, but as another reviewer mentioned, 'inspirational'. It has certainly given me a lot of new ideas to try out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of photographic tutorial sessions., 17 July 2009
I would recommend this book although it is not an easy read. There are plenty of advanced tutorials in the book with small photographs to illustrate the results achieved when each photographic technique is used. There are many practical assignments in the book. But there is an over use of black ink on many of the pages which I did not like. A few of the explanations were a little cryptic. For instance on one page he talks about the use of a gamma tool but does not give a picture to show what the tool looks like. You have to figure out what the tool icon looks like in your own software. He does this with almost every tool he mentions. Otherwise the book is very comprehensive and useful as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying, 26 July 2009
Paul J. Crosby (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to try and improve my photograghy. It is set out with easy to undertand language and the well thought out projects help you to improve. Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars how to improve your digital photography, 2 July 2009
Slim Pixman (Bradford W.Yorks.) - See all my reviews

This book is everything I have been looking for to raise the standard of my photography from the mundane. the approach regarding the reader is so much more helpful; suggesting alternative techniques that could produce a result you might not have considered. Tom Ang has included a set of assignments, by which you can try out the various ideas.
all in all buying this book is without any doubt been a greater help than all the monthly magazines; excellent value for your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply, the best book on digital photography I own, 9 Jun 2011
Amazon Customer (on one of the Two Worlds) - See all my reviews
I have a number of books that deal with digital photography, and by and large I am happy with them all - I wouldn't have bought them otherwise - but this book stands head and shoulders above the rest. I would describe myself as a keen amateur with no formal training, but experience that dates back over 25 years of taking photos. I've never done a college course or belonged to a photographic club or society.
I feel it is important to give this little resume because, all books are aimed at a particular market and I think I'm typical of the market this book is aiming at. If you're a professional this book may be too simplistic, or if you're an absolute beginner it may be too involved, but for me, it's perfect.
It's the college course or tuition I never had, and I already understand enough to make it meaningful.
The book is laid out over a series of 20 tutorials, each dealing with a different aspect of photography, ranging from using your camera's controls to photography as a fine art medium. Each section has a detailed discussion of its focus, along with detailed analysis of different pictures, comments from professionals who have worked on the units and an assessment whereby you can test your new understanding. If this makes the book sound like a dry textbook, then I'm sorry, it certainly isn't, but is a book that you can dip into and ead for pleasure too.
I hope it suits you as much as it did me.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a book that's not aimed at a novice, 21 Jun 2010
jch (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Too many of the photography books I've picked up and browsed through start with pictures of the parts of a compact camera and have a chapter on how to choose a camera and, if you're lucky, there's a single, short chapter that tells you something useful.

On the other hand, Tom Ang's book launches straight into a discussion of shutter speed and depth of field. You can see that in the preview. What's really great about the book is that it's not about the technical stuff (which you either know or get in the camera's manual) it's about how to USE a modern DSLR to create pictures.

I particularly like the way the book is organised into tutorials with an assignment at the end of each tutorial. It gets you thinking about what you've read and that stuff really sticks. I think I'm taking better pictures now and learning again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully put together book - Info and imagery, 5 Dec 2010
J. Shaw "Jimy" (London) - See all my reviews
I found this book excellent. It was recommended by a friend and I have ended up buying it for several other people as a present.

It goes over just about everything and explains in an easy to understand way with many visually rich examples and little "projects" you can do. But it runs over concepts which means you can expand your knowledge much more. For example the concept of how to read light in a scene, and the benefits of a main directional light and/ or fill lights; both in a natural setting and studio. It explains these concepts so you can better critique your photography and improve it.

My level is amateur enthusiast (wannabe pro), so use RAW and do much post processing etc, and the book kept me well entertained without being too easy or jumping into complicated aspects of photography without explaining them first. I would say this most suits beginners that are keen to learn, intermediate especially and to lesser degree pros (although there's still some tricky stuff in there).

Definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital Photography Masterclass, 18 Nov 2010
I bought this book to accelerate my familiarity with Photoshop and digital photography. I was not disappointed! Tom Ang spends half of the book discussing ,with excellent illustrations, how to compose and record a carefully considered photo including some detailed discussion about the hardware. This is subtle stuff brilliantly illustrated with small and larger pictures. The second half shows how images might be further enhanced using photoshop but he does assume that you know your way about the program. Beautifully presented with glossy pictures. I have been reading through sometimes pausing to try out some advice about processing. Brilliant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›