5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for the serious fan
I've been wanting to buy this for some time. It's relatively expensive and I didn't know if it justified the money.

One day, I bought it on a whim and all I can say is that I haven't regretted it a bit!

Published on 17 May 2007 by Nuno Mendes

2.0 out of 5 stars Cant review due to non- arrival!
We dont know what the book was like as it failed to appear. Whilst the seller provided a full refund very promptly my son was really disappointed it never arrived from its place of origin which was somewhere in the USA.
Published 2 months ago by MRS JULIE TAYLOR

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for the serious fan, 17 May 2007
Nuno Mendes "nberneaud" (Portugal) - See all my reviews

The book is quite extensive, covering hundreds of characters. There are some errors, but that's understandable on such wide-ranging tome. The art is great, obviously.

This made me remember characters from stories I read decades ago, that were long forgotten. Awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is - And it is gooooooood :o), 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Marvel Encyclopedia (Hardcover)
Outwardly, a magnificent piece of work; it bulges with superb artwork and it manages to cover an awful lot of ground. However, and as mentioned by others, there are a few errors involved which is never a good thing in any publication which calls itself an encyclopaedia. These seem to be the exception rather than the rule, though, and it's easy to forgive such things in return for the wonderful presentation and lay out. This is the only reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5, and I have to say I feel a bit mean about having to do so. I'd be happier giving it a 4.9999 rating.

That said, any comic fanatic should find it a joy to browse through the pages of this mighty tome and I certainly consider it money well spent.

Don't let a few silly technical errors rob you of an opportunity of endless browsing pleasure - If you're a Marvel buff you'll spot them easily and dismiss them with a tut and probably a grin and if you're not you'll never notice them anyway. You need to know there are errors, but you shouldn't let that put you off investing in this gorgeous piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, 7 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Marvel Encyclopedia (Hardcover)
Dont be put off by the fact that they make a few mistakes, its obvious that this will happen in a book this size.

OK, so maybe it could be updated but this will only annoy real hardcore freaks.

My girlfriend and I are big fans of Marvel and still, almost a year on, flick through it every few day, learning something new everytime!

Great present for any comic book fan!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cant review due to non- arrival!, 20 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine Marvel!, 15 May 2010
I. Welsh (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marvel Encyclopedia (Hardcover)
This hardback book is well printed on decent paper and looks very attractive. However it was bought for my 14 year old son, so this is what he had to say -
I had never heard of this book until I got it one Christmas, I didn't think very much of it and that it would end up sitting unwanted on a shelf. However I was bored one day so I started to flick through it and found it was really brilliant! The encyclopaedia contains complete facts and stats about all your favourite characters of the Marvel Universe from all the familiar heroes and villains like Magneto and Professor X to the less well known characters such as Peter Wisdom including their real names, where they are originally from, what their powers are, if they are on a team and a history of their activities and battles. plus the entries are sorted alphabetically, making it easier to find what you're looking for. This book therefore, is a brilliant source of information and is well worth hanging on to. I would personally recommend it to any Marvel fan, cartoon lover or anyone in search of a good informative read. After all you'd be surprised what you can learn! Also the book could make a wonderful gift to a child or to a friend/relative with a particular interest in comics, cartoons and superheroes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Marvel Encyclopedia a Complete Guide to the Characters of the Marvel Universe, 24 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Marvel Encyclopedia (Hardcover)
I really like this a lot. A very good read indeed, with great art work of all the Marvel Characters in one volume. I recommend this very highly and I am glad I brought this.

5.0 out of 5 stars My boyfriend was very happy!!!, 7 Feb 2009
M. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marvel Encyclopedia (Hardcover)
i bought this book for my boyfriend xmas present.....BIG MISTAKE!!...He now takes this book everywhere with him.....
Whoever you buy this for and they love comic books, then this encyclopedia list every single character and more!!!
Great gift!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 2 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Marvel Encyclopedia (Hardcover)
I think this book is worth the money. Yes, there are some inaccurcies in some of the information, but I think it's use is more in giving background information to characters rather than giving a full life and event history. It is not completely up to date, but there can't be continually new editions to keep up with the storylines -which, if you are interested in marvel, you will probably know about anyway.
Furthermore, the Jean Grey and Emma Frost mix up is a caption underneath a small picture in Cyclops' bio, so any mistakes (that I've noticed anyway) are minor.
Anyway, I bought this book on the more positive reviews, and I can't say that I regret it at all. I am very pleased that I bought it, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in Marvel comics.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 29 Mar 2008
Ms. D. Maxfield "comic queen" (dundee scotland) - See all my reviews
wonderful book easy to read great artwork everything you need to know and didnt know wow

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, now I have to buy the DC Encyclopedia too!, 6 Oct 2006
M. Sowden (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marvel Encyclopedia (Hardcover)
I've been waiting for this to come out for quite some time and I haven't been dissappointed.

To compress very-nearly 50 years of history and continuity into a managable volume was always going to be a struggle, but I think the contributors have just about pulled it off. Granted, some of the characters' histories feel a little too compressed, with the editors obviously concentrating on the origins of each character rather than the ensuing adventures. This of course makes complete sense, unless you want the book to be 10,000 pages long!

Overall a damn fine effort that should reside on every comic book fans' coffee table.

Like the title of this review says, I now have the hankering to buy the DC edition of this series, which is probably the best review this book could have...

The Marvel Encyclopedia
The Marvel Encyclopedia by Daniel Wallace (Hardcover - 28 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: 14.39