Format: PaperbackChange

on 9 December 2011
This book is a bit of an "all-rounder", starting with a very brief history of cycling before moving on to advice on choosing a bike and accessories, to clothing and on to road skills. All kind of bikes are looked at in detail and then the book really scores for me when the author moves on to improving cycling skills, which has already improved my descending and cornering though sadly his tips on hill-climbing probably won't be too much help until I've lost some more weight.
Further sections deal with fitness, competition riding and maintenance. The last section covers pretty much every job I'm ever likely to undertake myself.
I'm glad I bought this book and would recommend it to anyone who is at the "beginner or casual" level of cycling.
on 2 July 2012
This book just didn't do it for me. I wanted to learn all about my bike and looking after it but the layout and the information just doesn't work. Perhaps he tried to put too much in one book, I don't know, but I quickly gave up with it. A mistake.
on 3 May 2011
Fantastic and highly recommended book for novice and potential cyclists, and a good read for seasoned riders of all ilks.
0Comment2 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2013
After 30 years of cycling I thought I'd treat myself to a £1000 Boardman MTB Pro. From Day 1 the brakes squealed and the BB30 bottom bracket creaked. 50 miles on, the left crank detached and I was involved in an accident. The retailer reattached the crank but it detached again 2 miles later and I was involved in a second accident. The retailer replaced the bike with another Pro. The second bike lasted 30 miles before the BB30 bottom bracket started to creak again. The retailer swapped this for a third Pro which Boardman tell me has a slightly different BB that has totally resolved the problem... Bet none of this is mentioned in Chris' book!
0Comment0 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse