Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 February 2007
I've made quite a few of the treats, buscuits and cakes from this book and have found them very easy to follow. The kids have a great time making and decorating the food - beware it gets messy. The book does not really contain any healthy recipes for kids. But if like me you are buying for ideas on how to get kids interested in food and cooking at a young age then this book is ideal. And lets face it - it doesn't hurt kids to get a treat once in a while. The recipes are fun colourful and easy for kids to make.

The one dissapointment is that I also bought Annabel Karmels other book 'Mom and Me Cook Book'. I was very surprised when I openened the cover and found that the recipes and indeed every page including the back cover were exactly the same. It seems the only difference in the two books is the title! On closer inspection I found that one is published for the US and the other version is published for the UK. This should be made very clear on the books cover somewhere and indeed on this website!
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2006
Everyone I know always picks this book up and applaudes different recipes for their simplicity. This is a great first book for children to learn about cooking food however there are not that many recipes in the book which is a slightly disappointing factor but the pictures are fantastic and inspiring to the budding little cooks which makes up for the lack of recipes.

Its an excellent starting point to inspire little minds into the wonder of cooking. Besides the raspberry cheesecake is an absolute dream yum yum!!
on 13 December 2013
I bought this for my Grandson again for Christmas. I've had a look through and I think its a really good book.
Delivery was quick and the item is as expected.
thank you. A++
on 17 September 2010
Now that my children are old enough to hold a wooden spoon and mix, it's time to get them in the kitchen to cook. Actually I'm intending to eventually let them cook a meal once a week, but slowly does it. In order to get going I bought the Annabel Karmel - Children's First Cookbook.

I bought it because it has great pictures inside, an easy step - by - step instruction, and easy recipes to start off with. And I mean EASY!!

To be fair, the recipes are basically foods that no child would easily say `no' to - pizza, pancakes, jacket potatoes, cupcakes and cookies, so not really the `healthy eating' you'd like to teach them long term, but it looks like the easy way to get them interested in the kitchen, and that's really what I need right now.

Once I have them liking cooking (and the results) I can migrate to the more difficult and serious stuff. Right now - we'll stick to child's play!!
on 5 February 2009
All Annabel Karmel books are fab but what is nice about this one in particular are the lovely illustrations and step by step instructions, easy for kids to follow too!!
on 21 February 2013
My grandson is becoming so picky with his food at 3 years. This has been perfect, some lovely recipes to cook together and he is starting to try new foods now, We both enjoy having fun in the kitchen and can make some great items using this book. Very inspiring for ideas with children.
on 11 October 2011
I bought this for my nephew to have a go at cooking - the recipes are quite straightforward and relatively simple. Should be a good introduction into the kitchen!
on 14 November 2013
I bought this book for my niece (3yrs) as my daughter (9yrs) has it and loves it.

It features easy to follow recipes with step by step instructions and lovely bright pictures. My little girl and I have been using it since she was three and I found that as she got older she wanted to make different things from it - we've pretty much now made it everything in the book (several times).

If you want a cookbook that will grow with your child then I would highly recommend this!
on 30 December 2013
This is a great book - good for pre-readers as it has age appropriate pictures they will be able to follow and then it is simply written so, as they get older, they will be able to use book independently. Absolutely recommend it.
on 11 November 2015
Children are weird little goblins with tiny feet. They can't drive, they generally don't have jobs and they spend all day picking their bums. With that said, I was amazed at how well these creatures seem to cope in a kitchen doing real people stuff. This manual documents Annabel Karmel's experiences in the wild, and her noble effort trying to integrate children into society. By the time I got to the part where they all learned how to make toast I was a sobbing mess. It truly is a different world that these children live in, and with true heroes like Annabel on this planet we will soon stop seeing children as horrible, sticky, demons, and start seeing them as humans no different to you and I.