5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and easy entertaining
Published on 6 Mar. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as original edition
New edition not as good as the original which had far more pictures of the final results. A real shame. Content really good though.
Published on 14 Jan. 2013 by Big gun

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and easy entertaining, 6 Mar. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Canapes (Hardcover)
This is really a great book! The recipes are fairly easy and the results professional looking. I recently catered for a (very) small party for my mother's birthday and I managed to have everything ready in one afternoon. It is true I didn't choose the more complicated recipes, but we made an impromptu party! The flavours are so rich and sometimes surprising that you are sure to get raves. Most of the recipes don't contain exotic ingredients, that you will only find in specialized markets and all of them provide make-ahead tips, so you will not panic on the party day. The tartlet and phyllo cases can be made up to one month ahead and kept in tightly covered containers, if you actually manage to plan one month ahead!
I made the caramelised onion pancakes substituting plain yoghurt for the sour cream and they tasted so incredibly complex, with just a few ingredients, onions, water, sugar. And the marinades for the shrimps were absolutely delicious, they disappeared from the plate. A really great book! Thanks to the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canapes, 20 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Canapes (Hardcover)
I am a cookbook junkie but I have never before made as much use of a single book as I do of this one.
Canapes are a nightmare to enthusiastic non-professionals, and it is too easy to opt out with a big platter of dips and a few pieces of smoked salmon on rye, but this book takes all the stress out of doing it properly. Not only that, it has you salivating from page one without resorting to exotic ingredients that are only found in specialist stores.
Every item is illustrated - vital when presentation is so much a part of the overall effect. The steps are easy to follow and the tips about what can be done in advance are particularly useful, as is the a section devoted to quantities and planning - you can spread the preparation over several days and even have time for a shower before your guests arrive.
The only downside is that you will find all your friends enlisting your help for their parties every time - the solution of course is to buy them one of these!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for parties, 15 Oct. 2006
Natalie Gibbons "Natalie" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canapes (Hardcover)
This book was given to me a present several years ago and it is now dogged-eared and covered in baking remnants! I have made most of the canapes in the book and it has served as a great starting point for creating my own! The recipes are simple and easy to follow, with very small amounts of ingredients - great for keeping the shopping bill down when catering for large numbers.

Canapes look great when set out on a large table or set around the party room. Guests will be awe struck by your talents and be delighted at the vast array of little treats! Many of the 'bases' can be made in advance and frozen or refrigerated until the day of the party, so that you can effortlessly dress and decorate your bases, and still have enough time to shower and change before the greeting your guests with a glass of red in hand!

Canape parties have been a huge success for me and I know they will be for you if you have this book! The bang bang chicken always makes a regular appearance! Homemade canapes are also so much nicer than the frozen varieties from supermarkets.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthusiastic First Timer!!, 1 July 2009
This review is from: Canapes (Hardcover)
I had my 70th Birthday Party recently and as it was a milestone Birthday decided to do something different and special. I purchased this book which is amazing - fantastic recipes! The result was everyone raved about the food, had lots of lovely comments, at least two people said I should take up catering professionally and finally - proof of the pudding as they say - I held the party at an hotel and the owner asked if I would consider making Canapes for her Birthday Party!! Wow!! - is all I can say. Do buy this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for cocktail parties, 19 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Canapés (Hardcover)
I cater professionally and can not rate the recipes in this book highly enough. I've been using the old edition for years and couldn't resist getting the new one in the hope that there might be some new ideas. I was delighted to find great new recipes and fresh tweaks alongside the old faithfuls. The smaller format of the new edition is a more useful size in the kitchen but is still chock full of inspiring photographs, step by step guides and useful tips for getting ahead and suggested variations and alternatives for many of the recipes and ingredients.

Perfectly pitched for both novice or experienced cooks, this is a book to go back to again and again and not just for canapes. What really sets it apart is the fabulously tasty recipes. They're so delicious I scale them up to use as starters and main courses too. Have just been testing the Spiced Vegetable Pakoras and think they'd make an excellent starter before a curry.

I will be buying multiple copies for my friends this Christmas. Hurrah for the new edition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canapes for any occasion, 11 Aug. 2008
A. Dawud "This Diva Cooks" (Midlands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canapes (Hardcover)
I love cooking and entertaining without food never seems to be an option for me. Luckily this little gem of a book helps in a major way.

Canapes are not just those cheese and onion cocktail sticks or sandwiches cut small-canapes are bitesize morsels that you'll want to eat again and again.

With so many recipes and presentation ideas you'll find recipe and menu ideas for any occasion.

I'm currently working on a menu for a small business gathering and I know all my cooking will be done in an afternoon leaving me stress free to get on with other areas.

Perfect book for those who get to called on to to cater for little gatherings. Maybe I shouldn't say this but I would also recommend this book to caterers-you may even learn something from this book (and lets face it catering is a competative business).

Not recommended for anyone looking for little bitesize treats for children as I don't think children's palettes can handle 'posh' food compared to the stuff they get given that is sugar/salt loaded. Saying that though, if you're a parent wishing to do something different for your childrens birthday maybe this is the book for you.

Thumbs up-excellently layed out, no room for mistakes and beautiful photographs to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars It should be called the canape bible, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Canapés (Hardcover)
When the new version of 'Canapes' was released, I jumped to buy it. My old one was worn from use and I had become to rely on it like an old friend. The new make over is lovely with more modern photographs and best of all- new recipes. I entertain frequently and constantly use Victoria's book. You always know her recipes are going to work, how far you can stage things and whether it will freeze. It even makes exactly the number it says it does. There are too many cookbooks out there these days that don't work and are not tested. This is one you can count on!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great all round book, 1 May 2009
Ms. Eh Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canapes (Hardcover)
I was pleasently surprised by this book, it offers a really good selection of hot and cold canapes including lots of ideas that I have never seen before which is always good. The recipes include information on how far in advance you can prepare all of the relevant parts which is really useful. I have tried out quite a few of the recipes and they worked really well. I would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't do better, 21 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Canapes (Hardcover)
So many cook books have small sections on canapes or none atall,that this book was a revelation.It was recommended to me by a professional chef, this being the only one she ever uses. It is well laid out, the receipes are very easy to follow and the pictures reflect the finished item. Most of the canapes can be made in a very short time, however some are more time consuming than others but the result is well worth the effort. With suitable decoration one is able to say they are pictures on a plate. I have given this book to my son who now uses it on a regular basis when entertaining. If you are looking for a book on canapes look no further, you will not have to buy another one on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the stress out of party food, 6 Feb. 2010
Rosie Hansen (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canapes (Hardcover)
This is the best book I've seen for canapes/party food. There are so many recipes to choose from, all easy to put together, but very professional looking. The most helpful part to each recipe is the time-line - how far in advance of serving you can do all the different bits, from days or weeks to minutes!

Canapes
Canapes by Eric Treuille (Hardcover - 1 April 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01