Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 December 2011
When I was very young, this was my favourite book. Even before I could properly understand what was being explained I loved the art style and the detail in the pictures. Once I was old enough to understand it I discovered it all over again, and was even more enthralled with it.

Fast forward fifteen years or so, and now I'm an engineer - thanks, I think, in no small part to this book. If/when I have kids, there'll be a copy of this waiting for them to understand it too.
on 25 November 2011
I first saw this book back in primary school, in the late 80s/early 90s and used to read bits of it every lunchtime.
As a kid, I guess I must have been inspired by it because not many years later I was making mechanical, and later on,
electronic devices.

The great and (most importantly) fun diagrams of mechanical devices, together with those wooly mammoths, make it easy
to read and kids learn stuff without even knowing it. FAR better than any school class could ever be.

Oh, and I am now CEO of a company who designs hardware and software for gaming machines!

I recommend this book to anyone with younger kids, I will buy a copy if and when I have my own.
on 3 January 2010
My older daughter (now 18) loved this book when younger and so I wanted to buy a copy for my seven year old this year, only to find it had gone out of print. I was then able to pre order this reprint on amazon and in the meantime borrowed a copy from my library. My son is really interested in building k.nex, lego technic etc and any books that are NOT fiction so he loved this!
The book is very thick and comprehensive and I don't think he really understands a lot of it - but he enjoys looking at the drawings and having sections read to him and dsicussing what is happening.
I think he is at the youngest age range of interest for this book - I think it would be more appreciated by 10-12 year olds and adults! (I have certainly learnt a lot from it). The book expalins how various machines and technology work. It covers simple levers first and moves on to more complex machines such as the combustion engine, electrical circuits, Tv's and rockets. The book has no photos it relies on delicately coloured line drawings and plans which work really well. A mammoth is often used in a section of the page to explain a principle (although my son is not keen on this). Each page is quite crowded with drawings and information - so it is really aimed at an older audience I think, it is also very thick so he has to look at it while lying on the ground.
I remember when first published (8-10 years ago??) it was a huge hit and you could buy a cd rom and project kit to make simple machines - sadly you can't now but the BBC when it still made morning TV education shows made a very nice cartoon series based on the book also called the way things work - which takes the mammoth storyline and has a herd on a little island populated by a village of people and explains the principles behind simple machines in ten minute episodes which is very suitable for young kids. My older children used to watch it and I found amazon can supply a DVD of the series on two discs. I ordered it and my son has really enjoyed watching them - I think it suits his age better than the book, but I am sure the book will be on his shelf for many years to come and be consulted hundreds of times.
on 30 December 2012
Bought for my friends son as a Xmas present it went down as one of his best gifts. He is 9 years old but has a very inquiring mind as to how things work.Possibly an engineer of the future.This book filled the bill and more. Success all round..
on 25 March 2012
A lovely and informative book great for young and old i'd say, especially those who feel 'science anxiety' whenever someone uses scientific words for example.
on 12 January 2015
A great book being read regularly to and by a primary school age child and thoroughly enjoyed.

The book starts off with very simple fundamental principles and builds on them slowly, illustrating them regularly with examples both real and fanciful (mammoths, lots of mammoths).

I would recommend the older "The Way Things Work" over "The New Way Thing Work" as I think the additions to the newer edition have aged more quickly than the older book.
on 15 January 2013
This has been a winner. My son has always been interested in how machines work and this book shows it all.
on 7 January 2015
Many parents will be looking at this remembering when they had the same as a child, the brilliant thing about this book is how they update it every so often and I can confirm it is just as good as when you remember it. Great illustrations too, I would suggest a min age of 6.
on 30 April 2013
This book is a wonderful book for the curious child or adult that is interested in how things work.

It may mean they are just quicker at taking things apart that you don't want dismantled though.

Highly recommended, I enjoyed it
on 3 February 2016
It's a book and works like a book. It tells you how things work, but they aren't necessarily the things you would think & in a slightly odd way. My son kept asking me why are there mammoths on the front; I haven't worked out why. It is typical DK.