5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book from DK, 3 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Human: The Definitive Guide to Our Species (Hardcover)
Like the DK books 'Animal' and 'Earth' that have preceded it, this is a beautifully put together encyclopaedia, which makes a welcome addition to my bookshelf. Edited by Dr. Robert Winston, it covers all aspects of human existence; from the workings of the body and mind; through an examination of all the peoples, cultures, languages, religions and traditions of the world; and culminating in a look at how scientific developments are changing the way humans live. From the bits I've read so far it is an incredibly engrossing and informative book which will keep me returning to it again and again, each time answering my questions but also inspiring me to ask more of it. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an all time favourite!!, 25 Nov 2007
This review is from: Human (Hardcover)
We live in a rural village in German-speaking Switzerland, and I teach in a prestigious international school nearby.

When I saw this book in the only English bookshop for miles around I wanted it more than any other book I have ever seen!

The pictures are glorious, the content so very well thought out and easy to reference that I can honestly say that I LOVE this book!

I learn about all aspects of human history, and for me, most importantly, the "human condition" from a not so distant perspective.

I think that this is a book which promotes International-mindedness, wonder and humility at the ways we as human inhabitants live differently but are uniquely bound together.

This book has made an open-minded IB workshop leader more informed and more worldly wise.

If I had to run from "a burning building" the only thing I would treasure more than this guide to human kind would be life itself!

You owe it to yourself, your family and your community to own and browse this amazing book!

It will inspire you to wonder and appreciate diversity !

Oh yes ...This is the kind of knowledge that promotes world wisdom, and should perhaps cost more in worldly currency...but I love that everyone can own and connect with this incredibly informative and inspiring book!

Why can't I award more than 5 stars?!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Human: The Definitve Guide to Our Species, 17 Mar 2010
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Human: The Definitive Guide to Our Species (Hardcover)
I have very quickly become a fan of these DK large format reference books and have added quite a few to my book collection over the years and `Human' is a worthy addition to that shelf. As the title suggests this looks at many aspects of human life, and not necessarily just the biology (although there is an excellent chapter on this), but also the cultural and anthropological. The chapter headings are Origins, Body, Mind, Life Cycle, Society, Culture, Peoples and Future. Each chapter is also further sub-divided to make finding relevant information that little bit easier. As we have come to expect from this series the book is beautifully illustrated throughout and the photography and artwork is simply outstanding, nearly every single reference item has a photo or image of some description. The wealth and depth of knowledge included her is simply vast and whether it be the social aspects of playing chess, the various languages throughout the world, sleep cycles or Nanotechnology this book is written with great clarity and makes every topic fascinating. This would be a wonderful book to leave laying around you home for your kids to pick up and browse through, learning about the diversity of life, and it is also engrossing and engaging when you do the same. If anything, this should be the first book in the series you buy so you can learn about our own species and the various way of life in the world and then you could move on the `Animals' to look at our animal brethren, `Universe' to wonder at our place in things and the awesomeness of space and galaxies, 'Earth' to look at the very world we stand on and `History' to put our current lives into some perspective. That would be a comprehensive reference library and one that I can contest never fails to fascinate and keep me enthralled. As you may have guessed, this comes highly recommended.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Human: The Definitive Guide to Our Species (Hardcover)
Yet another great book from Dorling Kinderlsey and it only cost me a fraction of the original new book. There is some wear and tear here and there, but overall I am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Work of Reference, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Human: The Definitive Guide to Our Species (Hardcover)
This is by far the best book I have seen for explaining in detail how the body works. This is done in a way which is easy to follow and is aided by excellent illustrations. It brings home to you what an incredibly sophisticated organism the human body is and clearly explains the amazing way in which all the thousands of individual processes and mechanisms are synchronised and integrated into one superbly adapted machine. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Human: The Definitive Guide to Our Species (Hardcover)
Everybody who is interesred in biology- especially the human body and the way it works - should have this book on his/her bookshelf. I am not a native speaker of English so I think I cannot properly express my fascination in connection with this superb book. One can speak about it only in superlatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definative guide - must be read!, 18 Oct 2004
This review is from: Human: The Definitive Guide to Our Species (Hardcover)
A great book that not only answers many of the questions that one is likely to ask about themselves, but also about differences between people. Awesome.

Human: The Definitive Guide to Our Species
Human: The Definitive Guide to Our Species by Robert Winston (Hardcover - 7 Oct 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01