5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
Published 18 months ago by Diana at The Saker

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy if you want an audio course
This item is a book without CDs. The CDs are not available separately and the combined book and CD pack is no longer distributed. As someone who has learnt several languages, I know how important good audio is when you don't have interaction with a teacher. I will be returning this and buying an alternative.
Published 3 months ago by E. Woodfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
I first bought the Hugo Portuguese course in 2000 and found both books - basic and advanced to be well written, very clear and well paced to build on a learners skills. I lost these books when my houseboat sank this year and am delighted to have been able to replace them. The size and format of these little books is excellent as they fit into a handbag or pocket for convenience - essential, if like me, you want to study while commuting to work! Highly recommended if you want to understand how a language works.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good learning tool, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
As a senior learner coming to a foreign language late in life, this is a great tool, very clear in the differences in Portugese and English punctuation etc, a great help to me. really good

4.0 out of 5 stars Hugo Portuguese in three months, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
Bought this to back up the m. Thomas language cd's I was using. Am older so although the Thomas method is excellent I need to write things down to truly remember everything!! Bought 2nd hand so did not get the cd but even on its own it leads you through the grammar really well. A great partner to the Thomas CD's

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot fault it, but it is not a quick fix to learning Portuguese., 14 April 2013
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
Great book. Lots of information and exercises were really useful to see if you had taken it all in. However, it is hard work, particularly the last few chapters.

I learn well the old fashioned way as this is what I was used to at school. It is really a Portuguese text book and to benefit alot of effort is needed. I cannot fault it, but it is not a quick fix to learning Portuguese.

4.0 out of 5 stars You get out what you put into it, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
I've had this book around 2 weeks and I have to say that it is a good book. It explains everything very well - the pronunciation is a little difficult without CD's but I found a good guide on the net for it. I speak a few languages, and I have to say that even if you do, or don't you only get out of a language what you put into it - if you invest the time and revise (yes like you used to do when you were 16) then you will develop your vocab and grammar quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful for conversational Portuguese, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
As a British expat living in Portugal for nearly 5yrs and still struggling to learn the language, this is by far the best 'teach yourself' book I have bought so far - and I have many. I have learnt more from this book than I have from the weekly classes I have been taking for years. The famously complicated Portuguese grammar is explained in a way that has finally made it 'click' and I feel more confident in using the language and understanding conversational Portuguese with all it's idioms and colloquialisms, thanks to the dialogues in the book.

I love doing the exercises. They help you to ensure that you have not just read the chapter but also taken it all in and know how to apply what you have learnt. I actually ENJOY learning from this book and I can't say that about any of the others in my collection.

I would give it the full 5 stars but it didn't come with a CD and apparently the CD is no longer available which is a shame and the book still refers to the CD at the beginning. Not too big an issue for me as I hear Portuguese being spoken all around me but might be an issue for others who need to hear and practice their pronounciation.

Although I would highly recommend this book, I very much doubt you could achieve any degree of fluency in any language, much less Portuguese, in 3 months if you're an absolute beginner. However, if you do already have a degree of competency, perhaps to intermediate level, this book will help fill in some gaps, consolidate the basics, clarify the dreaded subjunctive and improve your confidence with the language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well maybe 6 months in our case, but a good way to learn., 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
Cleverly compiled book with weekly sections to allow regular learning along with exercises to test your mettle. Format is quite easy and plenty of reference items for everyday use while you learn. Worth it, but doubt many learn it all in 3 months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dry As Toast But Very Useful To Have On The Shelf, 4 Sep 2008
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
I am a bit of a language nerd, so I enjoy getting to grips with the intricacies of grammar. However, this book will not suit everyone...it is as dry as toast, so I have given it a 4 and not a 5. I have many books on my shelf for learning Portuguese and whilst this one isn't my favourite, it is still a very useful addition indeed, especially for referring back to when you are trying to quickly find an answer to a grammar query. I wouldn't be without my copy, but I think other books out there got me speaking Portuguese quicker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware Of What You're Buying, 22 April 2006
Matt Matthias (Staffordshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
The "In Three Months" range of books by Hugo, tends to be more grammar-based in its approach to language learning. This isn't 'old-fashioned', just as much as learning by rote isn't 'modern'. Each person will have a preferred way of learning a language. Some people like to learn by reading about every day situations that they might find themselves in and all the associated vocabulary and phrases; other people prefer to learn the grammar rules and the nuts and bolts of a language before learning new vocabulary.

Just because this book takes the grammar approach doesn't make it bad in any way. I think the "In Three Months" range by Hugo is really good for getting to the nitty gritty of a language and giving you the essential information for you to be able to understand a language thoroughly. If you're not used to a grammar approach this book can seem dry, overwhelming or detached from what you would consider useful vocabulary or phrases.

When you're looking for books to help you learn a language be aware what approach is best for you and then look for books that use that approach. That way, you'll have less chance of being disappointed with a purchase.

I, for one, think this book is great and recommend it to any other language learners with a preference for grammar.

5.0 out of 5 stars good add on for further learning portuguese speak, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) (Paperback)
excellent for pronunciation insights into portuguese language as spoken which is not normally explained as well in other publications.found some new insights from this book.

ARRAY(0x9ce0478c)

Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months)
Portuguese in 3 months (Hugo in 3 Months) by Maria Fernanda Allen (Paperback - 3 July 2003)
4.89