on 4 January 2004
This massive tome runs the risk of overwhelming even the most gardening-friendly reader because it's just so bleeping BIG. There is no chance whatsoever of anyone wandering the countryside carrying this in their knapsack unless they are on some kind of SAS training regimen. On the other hand, it does what it does brilliantly. My rather more green-fingered partner and I spent a happy few hours trying to come up with a plant-related query which it couldn't answer - and failed. The content is stunning enough but the indexing is superb; you can find your way to what you want surprisingly easily. It's difficult to see how this book could have been improved upon; until we finally reach the days of hand-held, fully integrated, works-anywhere computer technology it is equally unlikely to be superseded.
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2006
This book is great if you are looking for a 'picture' of a particular shrub, flower or tree. But in terms of actually giving planting advice, its not a book to invest in. I was under the impression that this book would at least show, for example , the bulbs of Dahlias and how they should be progratrated, the correct usage of fertilizers for certain plants, when to prune trees, plants..etc.
on 17 May 2003
Well worth the wait, the book is full of delightful pictures and down to earth knowledgable tips and instructions on every plant you could think of. We have only had the book a short while, but it is becoming an invaluable sorce of information to us everyday! Excellent for beginners in gardening! Enjoy.
on 4 June 2003
What ever your looking for in your garden, this will explain, give tips and guidance. Well laid out, and easy to see what the plants are for, whether for clay, sand .. or whatever your location. An excellent book.
on 7 October 2003
Loads of coloured pictures and a "must have" for anyone consdiering planting schemes - I find this book extremely helpful, not to mention inspirational
on 4 June 2003
on 27 March 2014
This is an amazing and inspiring book for any gardener.You can spend hours just looking at the various
sections on trees, shrubs, flowers, bulbs etc; etc; with all the information you need to position the plant
look after it well. I have used the original for years to good effect,but my copy had become damaged
and somewhat 'dog-eared' I had the opportunity to purchase this new edition at a very competitive price
This is a top quality book. . full of information in straightforward format and beautifully illustrated throughout.
on 11 October 2009
I've been meaning to get hold of a copy of this book for years .
Now I have & I am not disappointed . A wonderful reference book . An essential for any Gardener.
on 9 July 2015
I had lost my old copy, so was delighted to find this at such a reasonable price. It is very heavy, so the postage charges were good value. I have already successfully identified some hitherto unknown plants in my garden, and the layout is easy to understand. Many books tend to have the photo of a plant on one page, and its description a mile away. This doesn't. The photos are very attractive, and the descriptions are not too "A" level for me, fortunately.
on 30 June 2013
My fingers are getting greener thanks to this fabulous book. I was afraid it would be too "technical" and specialist for me as I'm a true beginner in gardening, having just retired - but this gives me exactly what I need to learn and develop - and the overwhelming volume of information it gives will last me a lifetime...

Thank you.