Micheal Grant and Katherine Applegate are not two authors who beat around the bush; instead they threw me straight into the deep end, by starting this amazing book with the opening scene of the day Evening (also know as E.V. or Eve) has her accident. The very same that would almost entirely detach a leg, mangle her arm and change her life forever.
You're probably...
Published 18 months ago by TheLibraryMouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Okish
I read and fell in love with the gone series and this was recommended to me when I had finished. It started off good with some gore but it got a bit too sloppy and girly. The idea is good the story is a good read but too sloppy for my taste.
Published 12 months ago by Kirsty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Eve plays digital god with the Adam Project, but more secrets lurk in between test tubes in Spiker and Plissken laboratory, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Paperback)
You're probably thinking that her life will never be same because she's been in an accident, but no. The accident leads her to the facility where she will get the best possible care, slowly recover and where Eve's mother asks her, as a distraction from the lengthy healing process, to design the perfect boy for Project 88175, known amongst the Big Brain scientists of Spiker & Plisseken as Project Adam.
Now let me tell you, having reached this point early on in the book, not even the gorgeous looking guy in the sun lounger next to me could deter my gaze from my kindle. I was gone hook, line and sinker.

In this absolutely great novel we meet a variety of interesting characters with the main two being Eve and Solo, and it is from alternatively both points of view that this story is told.

Solo was a very interesting character and, as alone as his name would suggest, was brought up essentially by the scientists around him and the building that contains him, the very same he secretly plots and schemes to bring down. Cleverer than he lets on, with a perfected art of shielding his thoughts from being read as expressions on his face, Solo was an intriguing character with a very different take on life considering his upbringing and with a cold detached view of the world that surrounds him and the people in it.
But then again how would you feel brought up almost like a guest hamster in a lab rat maze? Although perhaps turning into a hamster plotting to destroy its cage and escape, is somewhat of an extended leap as far as scientifically plausible explanations go. Unless the hamster knows something about the cold, sharp and cruel laboratory world that we do not.

Until Eve waltzed into his life and realm on a blaring ambulance, with a detached leg and an arm of the consistency of potato mash, all his schemes were going according to plan. And he was alone. And that's the way he liked it. But as she barrels her way into his cage for a lengthy foreseeable future, human emotions that aren't revenge are forced upon him, human interaction actually happens and isn't all that unpleasant.

Eve was a girl that had been through emotional wars and now physical ones too, and was definitely going to have scars to prove it. She had little to hide and wore her heart on her sleave. Loyal, caring, with a lovely sarcastic streak and no qualms in getting into heaps of trouble, I took to her rather quickly.

As Eve is given Leonardo Da Vinci's and Einstein's greatest wish with the chance to play God with human appearance, mind and character, and thus design the perfect human being.
But whilst she plays fictional God on a computer screen with a digital strand of DNA, someone at Spiker & Plissken lab had been playing actual God and for a lot longer.

Between test tubes, double helix strands of DNA and computer programmes, dark secrets are hidden threatening to float to the surface of the container they've been held in for so long.

This was a novel that combined mystery and science, with a pinch of romance, into a great steady paced story that I read in a day. Both authors had several twists up the sleeves of their lab coats, and although I guessed a few, I truly enjoyed this book. I very much look forward to reading more in the sequel Adam and Eve!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as gripping as the 'Gone' series., 6 April 2013
Ms. J. A. Hudd "Mamamerlion" (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed this book, the overall premise that a young girl could build a viable person so quickly by picking eye colour, hair colour etc from a computer programme was too presposterous to sustain credibility. The underlying ideas of the story needed more development although the main characters were well drawn and engaging. In many ways this seems like a rushed novel which may be a result of the collaboration in writing. Still a good read but not one of Michael Grant's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, Humorous & Just Damn Good!, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Kindle Edition)
Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate, you’ve done it again! Eve and Adam is an action-packed, futuristic sci-fi novel, filled with mystery, romance and betrayal. And it was funny!

Eve and Adam was brilliant! I had a great time reading it. I really enjoyed it. And that’s what a book is supposed to do, right? Books are written for enjoyment and pleasure, that’s their job. And Eve and Adam definitely did the job right.

There are so many great things about Eve and Adam. Where do I start? I wasn’t very intrigued at the beginning, the very beginning. I thought this was going to be a predictable, boring story. Well, I was wrong. The story kept surprising me and I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. The authors really know how to keep up the suspense. Their are so many different aspects to Eve and Adam’s story line. It was mysterious, it was thrilling, it was romantic, it was hilarious! There are so many different parts of the story that you can enjoy and love. That’s why Eve and Adam is a book for all.

“I want you, Evening, to design the perfect boy,”

I really liked the characters in the book. They are all, very much, individuals. We have Evening, the sort of insecure, but strong-willed girl. Aislin, the witty one, who settles for a drug-addicted boyfriend. She’s one of my favourite characters, I must say. Solo, well I don’t really know how to describe him. He is kind on the inside, and he loves Evening. We also have Terra Spiker, Evening’s mother. She is hilarious! What a strong personality. She’s scary, but I just loved her! And finally, we have Adam, Evening’s perfect creation.

The characters were very relatable, and easy to understand. Their personalities were very unique and they were all so different to each other. Some characters relied on others, some preferred to stay to themselves. It was like a dis functional family. It was fun! I know, form experience, that Michael Grant is fantastic at developing his characters, and it’s very true in Eve and Adam. I felt like I always knew them. I found some of my favourite characters ever, in Eve and Adam.

“It’s the fate of all creators. They fall in love with their creations.”

One thing I didn’t like about Eve and Adam was the title. I mean, I was nearly not going to buy this book because of the title. Thanks God I still bought it! The title of a book is very important. I don’t care what anyone says, the title and cover give readers their first impressions about whether or not they want to read the book. And see, i nearly missed out on a brilliant book because of the title. Eve and Adam didn’t sound right for the story. I wish it was something for intriguing, exciting. I wasn’t very happy with “Eve and Adam”.

I am really hoping for an Eve and Adam sequel. The ending wasn’t very satisfying for me, I wanted more. And I have no idea if there’s going to be a sequel. If there was, then I’d be ecstatic! I’d love to go on another adventure with the characters. Eve and Adam needs a sequel, I can’t just end like that!

Overall, Eve and Adam is one of my favourites, and it takes a lot for a book to be on my favourites shelf. I really admire these two authors, Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate. Two really talented authors combining their writing skills to write an amazing book! This should happen more often. Eve and Adam is an amazing read and I recommend it to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okish, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars What would you do if you could, literally, design the 'perfect' guy?, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Paperback)
What would you do if you could, literally, design the 'perfect' guy; from his looks to his personality, everything? This alone drew me to this book. It is different, it is original. I had to see what is was all about.

This book gives a different perspective to the `perfect guy'. How many people get to simulate the perfect guy into the level of depth as genetics? But maybe there is no such thing. There will always be a fault into the guy you end up spending the rest of your life with. It is dealing with that fault that is the interesting parts of any relationship. A man without fault, the perfect guy, may not be so interesting. So what is perfect? When Eve is designing Adam, it really gets you thinking about all the different aspects that make us human; from our physical traits to all the nitty gritty details of our personalities.

I am a nerd. I know I am a nerd. I can happily admit I am one. Two interests in my life are science, specifically biology, and latest technology (although not at as much detail). Eve and Adam sort of tickled my fancy in each. Eve is playing around with genetics but you really do not need to know much about the topic to understand this book. Genes code for our individual traits. That's all you really need to know. I am guessing this is set in the near future. Technology is used a lot more in this book than most YA novels I have read. Many characters in YA still seem to use phones for just calls and texts which are fair enough. Here we have characters using apps. iPads are commonly used. Electric cars are also getting the go ahead. It did give a slight sci-fi edge to it but still thoroughly believable. I enjoyed this side of the world. iPads as medical charts? It could happen.

Eve is at the point in her life where she is discovering who she is. Not just all the sci-fi elements but the normal human side as well. She thinks a lot about what someone like her should be doing or what she should like. This was evident when she was designing Adam. I like the confliction she had with what she wanted and what she thinks other people would want. She grows and I liked following her.

I was very curious about Solo from the start. He is adorable. He is really smart. He has things planned out. He knows how to handle situations. However he is shy. When he meets Aislin he is uncomfortable. He doesn't know how to act around Eve. I loved that. I want more Solo.

My main niggle that I have with this book is I felt it was a little short. I had a fear at one point that there wasn't going to be a sequel. This book needs a sequel. It ends too quickly to be a one off.

Overall I enjoyed this book. I liked the setting that the characters find themselves in and how technology is incorporated into their lives. I am looking forward to next book Adam & Eve.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Kindle Edition)
This is a very good book; I like the fact that the book is told from different characters' points of view. I recommend this book although the Gone series by Michael Grant is better (I highly recommend it).

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 14 Mar 2014
Sam (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Kindle Edition)
I read this book and so did my 11 year old son. It was a good read, well paced and an interesting story

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Kindle Edition)
This is an amazing book!! The ending is a little bit confusing I thought but overall it is absolutely fantastic!!! Highly reccomended!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Paperback)
This book is AMAZING! seriously i loved it, its not necessarily what you think its about but it really comes together at the end. I would seriously recomend it to everyone espesially micheal grant fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Eve and Adam (Kindle Edition)
This was another amazing book from Michael grant. Love the drama throughout the book, would definitely recommend to anyone. Great

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa7a98fd8)

Eve and Adam
Eve and Adam by Michael Grant (Paperback - 1 Oct 2012)
5.03