5.0 out of 5 stars Some horse sense...
Set in three European countries where war hits hard in 1914, Morpurgo's book surprisingly puts its focus with a young horse, through whose eyes and mind the reader is familiarized with the atrocities of war as they unfold. While as a literary device this might appear cheap or far-fetched, here it functions in quite a unique way.
Whether witness, victim or...
Published on 4 Oct 2004 by Christian Spriet

2.0 out of 5 stars Black Beauty Goes to War
I bought Warhorse as we had not managed to see the lauded play and intended to go to the film. It is, of course, a children's book and written in a very simple style as such, unlike say Lord of the Rings. I found it rather obvious and simplistic and am not sure that the intended readers would not do so also.
The film was a curate's egg and I could escape the feeling...
Published on 9 Mar 2012 by JIM

‹ Previous | 169 70 7180 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars War Horse. Michael Morpurgo, 20 May 2012
After reading reviews for this book,I was expecting a masterpiece and feel I will be standing alone in airing my disappointment. I hate to criticize because the subject matter is so appealing and emotive. However, I did read it in one afternoon by regressing into childhood for the duration.And ,yes,I did shed a few tears,as I did when I was a kid over 'Lassie' or 'Black Beauty',but it was pretty superficial stuff,relying on one tragedy after another to carry the narrative when ,considering the setting (mostly world war one)it was a missed opportunity for something more profound.

Maybe using Joey(the horse)as the narrator was novel but was,unfortunately,quite limiting for such a realistic setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Kindle Edition)
This was a great book, and even though I saw the film when I was about two thirds through the book, it didn't matter. Both were brilliant. Very moving, but I thought the author portrayed the horrors of war just as it might have been. I would still see the stage play too, if I can. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Paperback)
Really enjoyed reading this book. I like the fact it's from a horses point of view and its about war.
i think it would be a good book for 9 / 10 year olds and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars War Horse, 16 Oct 2009
Simon Bowen (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War Horse (Paperback)
I have not read the book but I have seen the show in the West End of London. It is quite marvellous and very poignant particularly to me: my great uncle, Sam Marsh, trained remounts for WW1 and my maternal grandfather was in the Kings Royal Rifles, but in charge of the horses/mules. He was court martialed and reduced rank for refusing to let the animals go once more that particular day to the front line because they were exhausted. He had previously been a jockey and walked from the stables at Druids Lodge to Winchester on the first day of WW1 to sign on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Horseplay, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: War Horse (Kindle Edition)
A good read - for children. Joey was a really smart horse, fluent in English, French and German. And they all live happily ever after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 2 Nov 2012
Brian (Warrington, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War Horse (Paperback)
Sore the screen version and the book is better, I liked to read this at bedtime can't wait for Farm Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - interesting alongside film, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Kindle Edition)
Very readable book, great story and perspective in the writing.
Shortly after reading it I saw the film and it was interesting to see how they differed, personally I think the book wins over the film. If you've sent he film or theatre production then tread the book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. B.R.C. club comment, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Paperback)
We thought it was an awesome book. We loved the description especially. We would all recommend this book to everyone.
One of Michael mopergo's best book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Paperback)
Bought this book to take on holiday to read on the plane and the beach. well, it was hard to put down and so turned out to be a quick read.

2.0 out of 5 stars so boring, 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Kindle Edition)
every one told me it was a good book . igot bored so did not Finiish it. get mr Gum instead.

‹ Previous | 169 70 7180 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x1173da38)

War Horse
War Horse by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 8 May 2012)
3.86