4.7 out of 5 stars1,350
Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2006
What a fantastic brilliant book, it deserves more than 5 stars beleive me! I read this book in the school Libarary when I was approx 13years old and never really forgotten about it since. My daughter is having terrible trouble with her reading at school so the teachers asked me to do some more home learning with her. I instantly thought of this book I read from 20years ago and bought it off amazon. I arrived this morning and as soon as I started reading it, I couldnt put it down. Ive spent the whole morning and even now 2 hours after I completed the book am I still in tears!! A combinantion of a fantastic storyline, sadness and happiness - I am going to treasure this book for the rest of my life and ensure my children, grandchildren & great grandchildren read this!!!!!
on 20 April 2006
Not since Black Beauty has there been a book like this one. War Horse also tells the plight of the soliders, both German and English and the horrors that they went through. It made me cry but the ending made me smile as well. I think everyone should read it and Anna Sewell would have been proud of it!
on 28 December 2010
This is not an American-style action packed war story, but a down-to-earth observation of war, as seen through the innocent eyes of a cavalry horse during World War I. A heart-rending story, it is not simply a children's story, but a good read for adults as well. It left me in tears. It is an account of war in all it's uglyness and misery, but amidst all that hardship there is still room for friendship between horse and soldier. The story left me with nothing but admiration for these couragious animals, most of which did not survive however. As soon as the Steven Spielberg movie is out in 2011, I'll be there to see it, hoping it will do justice to this wonderful story. Michael Morpurgo's book deserves it!
on 19 December 2009
I needed to read an animal book for school work, so my mum ordered this book and I told her that I wasn't going to read it, but she gradually persuaded me and I couldn't stop reading it.
It is an amazing book and I recommend it to all young readers!!

It had such a great story to it. It helps you think about ww1 from a different perspective.
on 8 January 2012
I bought this as a Kindle book; very quickly delivered to the Kindle.

The story is wonderfully written and quickly gains empathy from the reader. I enjoyed the book so much it was hard to put down, so I read it in a day. I would recommend this and am looking forward to seeing the film next week to see if it is equally as compelling as the book. A great read for both adults and children.
on 28 February 2011
I met someone who recommended I see Warhorse the Stage Play in London, but I was so moved by what she described - the power of the production and the story that I couldn't wait and decided to buy the book, the story. I am recommending this to everyone. This writing is sheer genius and through the perspective of an animal brings us to the truth of War. I cried quite spontaneously from a deep place in me that this writing touched. Allow yourself to be touched too. I have now bought more of Michael's stories and yes I will be going to see the stage version soon.

This is the first time I have written a review for Amazon. Flawless writing and a story for the whole world and especially now.
on 29 August 2011
It's funny how some books can pass one by. War Horse first came out in 1982, when I would have fallen squarely into the age bracket it is aimed at (I'd hazard 9-12 year olds, although I hasten to add that it's a great read for any age). I feel slightly embarrassed in admitting that I hadn't heard about it until the book was transformed into a play in London's West End. I haven't got around to reading it until now - and I've been prompted by the wonderful deadline that I'm going to see the play in 4 days. I wanted to read the book first, so I started and finished it this evening.

What a treat. War Horse is a gentle, and incredibly moving tale, told from the point of view of a horse. Not a premise one would think effective, yet it is - deeply so. As others have mentioned, the device allows Morpurgo to tell the story of World War One from both sides, without taking sides. This is a beautiful story, well-written, engaging and lyrical. I adored it. As a former veterinarian who doesn't like horses, I never ever thought I'd say that of a book about a horse! Bravo Michael Morpurgo! Roll on the play, and more of Mr Morpurgo's books, which I will be looking up and purchasing. The one about Grania O'Malley, the Irishwoman and pirate, looks particularly interesting.

Five solid stars out of five.

Postscript: the play was absolutely astonishing. The best stage presentation I've ever seen. And now we have Spielberg's version to look forward to as well.

Ben Kane, author of Hannibal: Enemy of Rome.
on 9 December 2000
I am an avid reader and have read a wide range of books but this has been the only book that has made me cry! It could be a girl thing, but I cried twice in this book, because of sadness and happiness! I hope it does the same for you!
on 18 February 2009
To all readers who love sentimental stories,
This book is the story of a horse called Joey who is bought by a farmer before the First World War and who becomes great friends with the farmer's son, Albert. Unfortunately, the farmer needs money and sells his horse to the army. He lives many years of agony from being a mounted horse, to pulling the German hospital ambulance, to being part of the gun-puller's squad. But during his adventures, he will meet lots of nice people including Emilie, captain Nicholls and his beloved friend Topthorn. They will live many adventures together. But will Joey one day manage to find Albert again and forget everything that has happened to him since the beginning of his terrible journey through the war? Find out by reading this fantastic book, "War Horse", another fabulous story from Michael Morpurgo.
It's the best book I've ever read!
on 31 March 2011
This is a beautifully written and very powerful book. Michael Morpurgo is best known for children's fiction and this is an example of a book meant for children that should be read by all adults.

The author's style is very clear, precise and smooth flowing. In addition to the comments made by other reviewers, there are two points that need to be emphasized.

First of all, it is a very clear indication of the reality behind the qualities in some animals such as dogs- sensitivity and feelings indicating traits such as loyalty. The closeness between human beings and animals, but in particular the dependence of human beings on animals, is described I such a way that it appears to be interaction amongst human beings only.

Secondly, Morpurgo uses the narratives to highlight some stark realities about war we do not see put into words very often. For instance, on pages 75 to 76,

The (German) officer...'You've done a bit of this before,
my friend,' he said. 'I can tell that. I always knew
the British were mad. Now I know that they use horses
such as you as cart-horses. I am quite sure of it.
That's what this war is all about, my friend. It's
about which of us is the madder. And clearly you
British started with an advantage. You were mad
beforehand.'

Very much worth thinking about!