on 30 November 2013
I looked forward to reading this end of series and was not too disappointed. The resolutions were as I expected them to be with one or two twists which I didn't anticipate. Overall, though I enjoyed this series.
on 12 May 2012
[edit]

I've got to say, I'm disappointed. I struggled to decide whether to give this a 2 star or 3, but the former just seemed a little too harsh, so its a 3 (and a low one at that)
After the breakneck spead of the last two books, Lies came as a surprise. Nothing happened! Just nothing.
This is most definitely a filler book, and you do get the impression Grant is just stringing this series along. The plot of this entire book is something that would only've filled a couple of chapters in Gone and Hunger, and it completely suffers as a result.
It is noticeably shorter than its prior books, too; barely scraping over 450 pages as opposed to the usual near 600.

There were so many problems with Lies.
One is the lack of any real storyline, which was irritating. Caine is barely involved - spending most of the time in a boat, and trying to get onto an island. Thrilling stuff, I'm sure you'll agree.
The continuing saga of the Human Crew was at first absorbing, and the attacks on the town displayed Grant's gift for action, but soon after, it just fizzled away.

The characters have seriously started to annoy me now. I've said before that I dont feel a particular connection to any of them, but in Lies I just feel they were OOC.
I understand why Sam is a much broken version of himself, but some of his actions just didn't ring true - the same for Astrid.
The most interesting characters, for me, are under used - Edilio, Brianna, Dekka and Lana. I want to see more of them, see passages from their POVs more often. Especially Lana. Since the events of the last book, she's hidden herself away and sees little action.

Also, the story of the Gaiaphage seems to have retreated. It's still there of course, in lost of intriguing ways, but hardly presents a real threat. Lies just doesn't have the tension of the other books.

I wanted to like this book, I really did. But it just feels like I've read 470 pages of dragged out, overreacted filler.

I hope Plague brings this series back to its potential.
on 17 May 2013
This book is absolutely fantastic, as with all of the "Gone" series. Definitely worth a read! The storylines are often surprisingly mature, especially considering the age of the characters but this just adds to the content!
on 17 May 2013
on 27 May 2010
This book is the best I've ever read, I ordered the American version which, FYI 'C. Allcock "Krisss"', is the cover with Sam and Astrid on the front; the English version is the one with the blue pages.

I could not recommend this series more; excellent
on 3 May 2013
Wow! Spectacular! I have loved every minute of this wonderful series. Michael Grant has produced an incredible yet very credible alternate universe in which everything and anything goes. The characters are beautifully crafted and the reader is taken on a roller coaster ride with twists and turns so numerous that there can be no predicting the outcome at any point in any of the captivating series.
The books are hypnotic and the reader is emotionally tied to the characters and the truly tortuous journeys they take. The reader is left drained and somewhat bereft at the end... because you don't want there to be an end; and yet for the characters you are glad that it is. For how much can one take?
Again. Mr. Grant. Wow!
on 18 November 2013
When I was reading the earlier books in the series I loved all the mysteries about the situation they were in and how it had happened and what had caused it. I also really loved the characters and excitement, personally, I kinda liked the gore and the creepier characters as without them the series wouldn't have been so gripping and stand out from a lot of young adult books but I get that thats not for everyone. Anyway, Light was just about as gory as the rest of the series so if you were okay with the rest of the books then light is the same in that respect. However I wasn't convinced that Michael Grant could create a satisfying ending. The odds were so much against a happy ending and I wasn't sure any explanation of what happened and/how they escaped the dome would really work and not just seem like some way of tying up the end of the series in a nice,neat way. On the other hand there was the chance that the series wouldn't be ended at all and would be left as a cliffhanger with no more books coming. Luckily, I was totally wrong. Light is just as good as the rest of the series (I'm not going to say better than the rest as the whole series has been pretty awesome). I'm not going to give away the actual ending but I thought the ending was satisfying and did justice to the rest of the series. It left me sad the series had ended (because it's one of the best series I've read, ever. And I read a lot.) but as it had to end, the ending in light was about as good as endings get.
on 21 March 2015
Gone. The teens over the age of fifteen from Perdido Beach have gone! A huge barrier cuts out the adults from the kids and The guys inside the FAYZ (Fallout Alley Youth Zone) are struggling to survive.

Amazing series that even adults will enjoy immensely. from beginning to end you respect, love, hate and are disgusted by what the characters have to do in order to survive.

If this was a contest between harry potter and Gone, i can tell you, gone would win by a million stars!

Great series Michael! =~)
on 7 December 2014
Ever since I read Gone I have been hooked on this series constantly wanting to buy the next. The books are really gripping, and at times they make you want to cry, or laugh. I love it how the book is full of surprises, and how sometimes I get too scared to turn over the page in case something really bad happens. I'm so sad that it's over, and I hope that there are more amazing books on the way!

I would really recommend these books to teens, who like adventure, action, bits of romance and gore, suspense, and surprises!
on 18 March 2013
Amazing! Simply amazing! Really stepped it up, even more than previous books, there's a complete and total reverse of roles from almost all characters; New and old, everything they feared happens. Good reliable people like Astrid and Albert change. Caine changes, gets his own medicine. And of course the view from the outside word brings on a whole new perspective that reminds you how serious the FAYZ is. Love it, can't wait for the next one!