5.0 out of 5 stars The wonderful world of stories, 6 Oct 2010
Parents in Touch - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Beasties (Hardcover)
The first page of this story cleverly invites you in as you peep through the partly opened door and see Daisy in bed. Daisy lies awake, trying to get used to her big new bed in her big new bedroom, as Weevil, Floot and Ferdinand creep into the room..............and what could she hear? A story and next night, another story. Find out how The Beasties help Daisy settle into her new home through their stories. A charming, atmospheric and reassuring story perfect for bedtime reading. The wonderful use of language means you will have great fun reading this story out loud.. The beautifully detailed illustrations by Gwen Millward complement the story wonderfully and I love the way a completely different atmosphere is evoked by each of the stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Books Blog Review, 13 Mar 2011
My Favourite Books (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Beasties (Paperback)
Daisy is a little girl who is struggling to fall asleep. She's hearing all these strange noises and she keeps wondering what they are. Enter The Beasties, Weevil, Floot and Ferdinand. They creep softly softly into her room and hide under her bed, where they spread their treasures wide. Then she heard a growly voice and it was the fiersome Ferdinand who spoke, telling a story of a king and treasures and robbers and how Ferdinand save the faraway king's treasure.

Daisy is lulled to sleep by the tale but the next night she once again settled in bed, too awake and too aware of the groans and noises around her. This time it's Weevil's turn to tell his story about a magical bird, shipwrecks and unexpected kindnesses.

On the third night, Daisy hears a peculiar little whistling noise and it's Floot's turn to tell his story of hide and seek, princesses, wolves and unexpected friendship.

The fourth night, Daisy lies back in bed, wondering, wondering. Then she hears a gravelly voice and bravely she looks beneath her bed, only to discover The Beasties themselves!

Obviously I won't tell you how this beautiful whimsical story ends, but let's just say that Daisy becomes a brave new storyteller in her own right.

Gwen Millward's artwork is wonderfully evocative and endearing in this gorgeous picture book. Her illustrations of The Beasties made me want them to come and visit me and tell me stories. They are endearing and not what we expect at all. And I loved how our preconceived ideas of size and importance are tilted on the side.

It's a great book encouraging creativity and imagination and above all, storytelling. Just looking through it has made me feel all billowy and warm inside. And that's what good books do.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd like these beasties under my bed!, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Beasties (Paperback)
Being alone at night, when the world is dark is often a scary experience. Children in particular don't like it. Changes to anyone's life is hard to adjust to. I guessed from the boxes in her room that Daisy has just moved house. Her bed feels different. Her room looks different from how it used to. No wonder she's having a hard time getting to sleep. She naturally freaks out when she hears an unusual noise, then is delighted when it is a trio of creatures telling stories. These stories help her drift off to sleep each night. One night they aren't there, which makes Daisy frightened. How will she sleep without a story to relax her? The solution - she tells a story to herself. I mention what happens at the end because I think this is plus side of the book. It demonstrates that some parts of life are scary, but there can be ways to lessen the fear. And, after someone helps the reader, they are able to do things by themselves, and still get a similar feeling of satisfaction from me when they achieve the end result. The illustrations are beautifully drawn, in fairy tale pastels which are bright yet gentle enough for a wind down read before bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosophy, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Beasties (Paperback)
Fantastic book - The children in my class loved the story and wanted to hear it over and over again. We were able to create our very own stories and the children got a lot out of it. Being able to reflect on their own behaviour and evaluate what makes a good 'person' was a great philosophy session for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real hit, 25 July 2011
This review is from: The Beasties (Paperback)
My Son just loves this book. The story, each Beastie and the lovely swirly pictures. A really lovely bedtime read. He also loves The Bog Baby which is drawn by the same lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for children from as young as two, 3 May 2012
This review is from: The Beasties (Paperback)
I bought this for my little boy when he was about 2 and rapidly growing out of Julia Donaldson and similar books and I was struggling to find good picture story books that would keep him entertained. This one is brilliant - it is full of imagination and beautifully illustrated. One of my favourites to read too. A lovely book for bed time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 May 2013
This review is from: The Beasties (Paperback)
My 7 month old daughter adores this book - she's fascinated by the illustrations and loves the different voices of the characters (one is 'growly', another 'musical' etc). The story is a nice read for grown ups too, and I expect she'll enjoy it for several more years. I've bought it as a gift for several friend now.

The Beasties
The Beasties by Jenny Nimmo (Paperback - 4 Oct 2010)