on 24 October 2008
There is a great skill in writing children's books that don't make adults groan when their offspring say, "Can you read this one again."
I'm pleased to say that Andy Stanton has pulled it out of the bag again.
He is one of those rare authors who has a knack of writing hilarious books that appeal to adults and children. They make the whole of our family roll around laughing. This book is no exception and there have been several altercations over whose turn it is to read it (and that is just amongst the adults).
His characters and plots are off-the-wall and we constantly repeat lines from his books including, "In the olden days," said Old Granny, "It was rubbish..."

A great series to try on reluctant readers - they might just tear themselves away from the computer!
on 29 January 2009
You just cannot go wrong with Mr. Gum. Any child age 7/8/9/10 will love Andy Stanton's books. Makes it so easy to be a favoured Aunt when you bring one of them out each birthday and Christmas. Andy Stanton needs to speed up his writing or I am soon going to run out of new books to give.
on 20 April 2009
My grand-daughter got this at her school book fair a few weeks ago. She's not a great reader of "story" books, normally preferring factual animal books, but I read the back cover to her and she started giggling (a good sign) so she decided to have a go at it. Well, she absolutely adored it and was often to be heard laughing and just HAD to come and read us bits! We've bought the whole set now and she now happily reads in bed before going to sleep. The trouble is, what on earth do we get next that will have the same appeal! Any ideas?
on 22 February 2009
My 9 year old Grandson enjoys all the Mr Gum Books & this one is no exception.
on 20 October 2009
I cannot type much more - I have lost control of - well, everything really. Utterly insane and absolutely hilarious. BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT.
My children and I are devouring Andy Stanton's Mr. Gum books at a vast rate of knots. Soon we will have read them all and then we will be writing letters every day to Andy Stanton telling him to 'hurry up' with more of them. These books are hilarious, refreshing and original. I love them, the children love them. Even my husband lingers in the room when story time begins, and that is unheard of. Mr. Gum and the Dancing Bear involves Polly, the nine year old heroine of the story, rescuing Padlock the Bear from Mr. Gum and Billy William The Third's evil clutches, in order to return him to the land of the beasters where he can roam wild and free and hairy. They are very,very funny. You should read them.
on 27 April 2011
This was a present for my Grandson, this is the first set of books that he laughs out loud to, and a book that he reads on his own, as a five year old this is a wonderful start.
on 8 September 2011
The Mr Gum virus caught hold of my 3 kids (12,11,9). They devour the books, really great reads, that take the reader into bizarre worlds and great quests. I quite like the stories myself :-) Before Mr Gum they read all the Wimpy Kid's books. So if you love Wimpy Kid, you probably will love Mr Gum too.
on 5 June 2014
We have bought most of these books by Andy Stanton. They are quirky, funny and easy to read. I think when my little boy got his first one aged about 7 he enjoyed them but didn't quite get them. He's nearly 9 now and really loves them, happy to read and quote them. Hope there'll be more on the way.
on 29 September 2010
i loved every bit of that my favourite bit is when the big sends a letter saying sorry i cant make it i am busy being eaten by a python and when polly and padlock go into the sea floating on a plank lol i am your biggest fan mr gum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!