5.0 out of 5 stars This book is great -- it is sad with a happy ending
Published on 24 Mar 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Overrated
I bought this batch of books because they have been rated highly, only to find out that they are overrated. Not an interesting story.
Published 8 months ago by Mrs. X. Li

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is great -- it is sad with a happy ending, 24 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This book is about an elephant's travels after the death of his mother-- his search for independence and his return home. He takes what he has learned on his travels and offers it to the other animals in the forest. The book teaches that you can overcome aversity and make good things happen by working hard. Babar gets beyond the death of his mother by going to the city, studying and by learning how to act in society. I like the book because it is well written and has excellent pictures. It also has a strong message and teaches you a lot about the ways of the world. I also like the way that elephants are used to teach the message.
---- Makki Russo (Age 7)----

5.0 out of 5 stars Babar should be shared between many generations of a family, 22 April 1998
By A Customer
My father read it to me. I read it to my boys, and now my grandchildren have met the gentle, bemused, wise elephant, his wife Celeste, the old lady, and the little elephants Flora, Pom and Arthur. I confidently assume I'll be reading Babar to great-grandkids one day. As in so many animal stories, there's the loss of a parent, followed by the assumption of responsibilities and rank. Babar is different, however. Just look at the insouciant way he wears his crown. As a small child, a half-century ago, I liked the endpapers best, with the elephant parade: nose to tail. As an adult, I appreciate the deadpan tone of the narrative as Babar learns how to rule. His creator has given him the correct dignified posture to grace his human clothing. People with too much time on their hands have offered literary criticism of this series. Children know better, and simply enjoy the stories and pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars The delights of the Babar stories, 4 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Story of Babar (Hardcover)
I grew up with these books, as did my parents. They still delight me and the current generation of small people with their inventive sense of fun. They combine beautiful illustrations with a storyline that draws the little reader, or listener into a fantastical but highly credible world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic story, 15 May 2011
Ian Thumwood "ian17577" (Winchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story of Babar (Paperback)
I bought this for my 2 year old nephew and would suggest that this is probably the minimum age for this story. Whilst it is obviously a classic children's book, care needs to be taken insofar that Babar's mother get shot and killed by a hunter about 6 pages into the story and, later on, the King Elephant dies after eating a poisonous mushroom. In this respect, the book is very much of it's era and you would imagine that these episodes would not appear in a modern book aimed at the same audience. Children are more sensitive these days. However, the illustrations also stem from this era and I quite like the fact that Babar obviously drives a vintage car and wears spats - a fair trade-off with the book's darker moments, I think.

In summary, this is an essential children's book but whilst the paperback edition is large and colourful, it is obviously not a robust as a hardback book. The story is also written in italics which made a few words difficult to read. However, this book belongs in every child's library and is an essential purchase. Note that some of the illustrations have annotations which have been amended back into English from the original French.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for children, 22 April 1998
By A Customer
I read Babar the Elephant as a child and he made me dream of someday going to France and living a marvelous life like Babar and his family did there. Books such as "Babar the Elephant" truely do awake in a child a want and need to explore different worlds different than their own. I know I maybe just talking out of experience, but as a child I took every moment to enrich my little mind in something as big as dreaming of going to France to see the Effiel Tower and such. Little children need time to read this book to explore the true self inside themselves, to search out this petite explore to the world of culture as Babar does in his books. Babar is different from the Bearstein Bears; Babar is a middle class man/elephant that has a family and a house in middle class Paris and he does ordinary things as well as out of the ordinary things. Like coming to America and flying around in Hot Air Ballons and wild things such as that. A child with the need to read really should read "Babar the Elephant" and all his great adventures. Great imaginations, especially young ones shouldn't go to waste let them dream of different lives in a different country--because dreams really can come true somday---I went to France when I was finally 17 years old--three whole years ago. So It Doesn't Hurt to Dream When You are A Child.

5.0 out of 5 stars The way to the forest where we belong, 22 April 1998
By A Customer
I find it an outrage that older people pretend to have forgotten how it feels when a vile hunter kills your mother elephant. The page of The Story of Babar, the Little Elephant where this base crime was commited used to be wet with tears. Of course, there were four of us, aged three to eight, repeatedly reading about this despicable deed, and unfailingly shocked to tears. But on the next page, the city was so much like the one which roared across our windows. The younger amongst us would not have found it extraordinary to come across an elephant in Paris, and the older ones knew that there was a direct way from our native city to the forest where, as elephants, we did belong. Yet, how come we forgot is a deep mystery. But still, I know the way to the forest: come hither, I show you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby's first novel, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Story of Babar (Hardcover)
You can deconstruct this all you like from a colonialist, race or class perspective, there's no gettting away from the fact that this is the most rattling good yarn (two deaths! one wedding!) you could ever give to a two-year-old. I amend some of the language of my American hardback (floorwalker: shop assistant) in the telling

Steer clear of the sequels penned by Jean's son Laurent: milk and water

5.0 out of 5 stars Would definitely recommend, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Story of Babar (Paperback)
Bought as a Christmas gift for my sister, who used to watch the tv series with our late father and had always wanted the book. It went down really well! The book is great quality, with lovely images that fill the whole page. The story starts off quite sad but, as always, Babar's circumstances improve and everything ends very happily. I wasn't expecting him to fall in love with one of his cousin elephants but there isn't much emphasis placed on it so I'm sure children wouldn't pick up on it! Product came in perfect condition and promptly. Great buy, especially for the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars and old story but still wonderful, 23 April 2012
E. Winter (NEAR EDINBURGH SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story of Babar (Paperback)
I am buying all these books second time round for my grandsons's who love the story just as much as their Fathers did. This book is beautiful the colours are appealling and illustations outstanding.
I am a book person and have loved my books all my life and so happy to buy them for our wee ones now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Babar, the elephant you never forget, 21 Sep 2011
Martin Healey - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story of Babar (Paperback)
I got interested in Babar 60 years ago, when I was just a lad. Now I've given the book to my granddaughter for her 6th birthday and she loves it! Funny, exotic, exciting. I'll never forget Zephir the monkey mistaking a snake for a harmless stick! Scary.

The Story of Babar
The Story of Babar by Jean De Brunhoff (Paperback - 7 Jan 2008)