Published 18 months ago by James Abbott

3.0 out of 5 stars not THAT great
My son loves Mr Men books, he's 6. Some of them are great even for grown-ups to read, this one is not THAT witty.
Published on 23 Mar. 2010 by E. Masih

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Alienated Existentialist might have been a more suitable name, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mr. Tall (Mr. Men Classic Library) (Paperback)
Perhaps the bleakest character in the Hargreaves ouevre Mr Tall suffers from a profound sense of alienation, with obvious echoes of Albert Camus' existentialist masterpiece, L'Etranger. As futile as he understands his venture is, our elongated anti-hero embarks on an odyssey to the seaside, recalling Francois Truffaut's seminal New Wave tour de force, Les Quatre Cents Coups. That Hargreaves had Truffaut in mind when penning Tall is made plain by his encountering Mr Small, a character who is clearly based on the Jean-Pierre Leaud, the doyen of the French Situationalist Left, who was cast by Truffaut as an amiable, hapless figure quite unable to hold down regular employment.
On reaching the sea Mr Tall refuses even to enter the water, and, as he sits morbidly contemplating the shore he resists the entreaties of Messrs Greedy, Nosey and Tickle, although he eventually succumbs to a moment of levity. But happiness is to prove but a fleeting illusion, as Mr Tall sets off for home, callously abandoning his friend, Mr Small, and though with typical deftness of touch it is left unsaid by Hargreaves there comes to mind Jean-Paul Sartre's notorious declaration:
'If God is dead, all things are permissible.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Tall, 15 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Mr. Tall (Mr. Men Classic Library) (Paperback)
My son love this book and can't wait to collect all the other Mr Men books

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as when I read it when I was a child!, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Mr. Tall (Mr. Men Classic Library) (Paperback)
I always loved the mr men books as a child and now I am buying them for my two little ones to enjoy alongside the French translations I am going to use them as a learning tool. Up until we use them for what I intend we will just enjoy the English version. The stories are just as good as I remembered. Very enjoyable. My little boy especially loves the mr men. When they get older writing is quite simple and bold for them to practice their own reading skills. Highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars not THAT great, 23 Mar. 2010
E. Masih (E.K., Scotland) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Tall-ideal bedtime story, 1 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Mr. Tall (Mr. Men Classic Library) (Paperback)
I love the Mr Men series, they help small children learn new words, they are just the right length for a bedtime story and ideal for taking on holidays. My two sons (aged 3 and 5) love all the characters and are even trying to think up new ones.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed in quality!, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Mr. Tall (Mr. Men Classic Library) (Paperback)
I knew I was purchasing a second hand book, but chose one with a "Very Good" condition rating. I normally buy second hand books with high condition ratings and I have never been disappointed and know what to expect as the usual standard. The Mr TAll book I received was NOT in "Very Good" condition: The pages were all folded, the Mr Men tokens had been cut out the back (which left scissor marks on other pages of the book!) The cover and pages were all very discoloured too.
I bought another Little Miss book from the seller that was advertised as "Very Good" and received what felt like a brand new copy! So when they are put next to each other in comparison, the variation in quality is horrendously obvious.
I am disappointed the product as it was meant for a gift (a lighthearted jokey one - but a gift none the same!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov. 2014
fab

Mr. Tall (Mr. Men Classic Library)
Mr. Tall (Mr. Men Classic Library) by Roger Hargreaves (Paperback - 2 Jun. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01