5.0 out of 5 stars A World War 2 evacuation story for children.
Published on 14 Oct 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Lol
Epic I couldn't get environmental spacecraft to be changed Todd my friend loves it get it epic lol the book is epic
Published 17 months ago by Unknown

5.0 out of 5 stars A World War 2 evacuation story for children., 14 Oct 1999
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Paperback)
Our group read and wrote reviews of this book for our group novel studies in school. Michael Morpurgo has written over 60 books and this one is about war and adventure. We liked this one very much. Michael Morpurgo says he likes to travel to the countries he writes about and meet the people who live there, so that he can write his stories better. This book starts in the middle of WW2 in London and the two boys are evacuated to Devon. The boys come across a problem. Do they like the Germans they find, or not? They had saved David's life, but they had also killed his father in the war. Read to find out what they decide. We liked the way David becomes a more confident boy in the story. We liked Tucky, his honest friend. We weren't so sure about Mr. Reynolds, who owns the farnm they stay on. We didn't like the village children who called David and Tucky "townies". This book is for 10-12year olds, who like history. A younger child would be bored wuth it. Someone who doesn't like to be away from home would identify with it. It helps us understand what WW2 was like. it is realistic and changed our views of the Germans. We now realise they are ordinary people like us. It is quite an exciting story. Generally our group thought it was a BRILLIANT book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting and gripping book for children, 10 Nov 2008
Clarrie (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Paperback)
I read this book to my class of 28 Year 4 children (aged 8-9) as a sideline to our literacy unit on World War 2. I read a chapter each day and the children were begging me to read the next chapters as the days went on! We created a class journal looking at characters, settings, descriptions, predictions, letter writing, reasoning, decision making, consequences and many other things. It was a great book that opened so many options for some fantastic work for the children. They enjoyed it greatly, and so did I.

I should also add that this is a great book for any child to read and enjoy outside of the school setting!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ BOOK!!!- a pupil's review, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Paperback)
Michael Morpurgo has written lots of wonderful books. The book that stood out for me is "Friend or Foe".

This book is amazing. It's about two boys, who are evacuated and sent to Devon. Everything is lovely- until one night they see a German plane crash in the moor. What will happen to the boys when they find two German soldiers?

I think that "Friend or Foe" is excellent! This book is perfect for children, who are interested in World War Two and love adventures. I would definitely recommend the book for children and adults. I give this book five stars. A MUST READ BOOK!!!

Rachael H., an excited Year 6 pupil (10 years old)

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking tale for slightly older children, 29 Sep 2011
Petra Bryce "bookworm" (Malvern, Worcs) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Paperback)
David and Tucky are two small boys from London who get evacuated to Devon along with the rest of their school during WWII. Both get taken in by a kindly farmer and his wife and quickly make friends with the resident sheepdog, Jip. At the village school the boys remain outsiders, and when they spot a German bomber about to crash on the moor, nobody but their hosts believes them. Eventually the search is called off, and David and Tucky decide to look for it off their own bat. Just as the boys are crossing a stream on their way back to the farm, David loses his footing and one of the German airmen, in hiding up until then, saves his life.

I love Michael Morpurgo's writing, it is so understated yet manages to convey so much with only a few words: the deprivation faced by the people in London, especially David and his widowed mother; the love for her son that is apparent (to another mother) in the ritual of a daily early-morning apple; the heartache caused by the impending separation; the strong bond that develops between the two children as they struggle to make friends in the village school, being regarded as 'townies' and outsiders; and the inner conflict taking place inside the boys, especially David, as they deceive their hosts and help the two German airmen. In all his books I've come across so far, Morpurgo speaks to the child (irrelevant if the child is the actual reader or if it's read by an adult), and he always treats them as grown-ups, as someone who has opinions that are worth hearing, challenging their emotional involvement in the process of reading. Unfortunately the last chapter felt a bit rushed in my opinion, and the thoughts of the adults remained largely unexplored; with such a thought-provoking subject matter I would have welcomed a little more discussion of the story's morality as seen by the farmer, his French wife or the Home Guard officer, for instance.

A tale for children about ambivalence created by conflict, and how important it is to see the human being underneath the enemy's uniform, it manages to be thought-provoking without being too moralistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best books I have read!, 15 Jan 2000
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Paperback)
This book is written about two boys juring the world war who are evacuees from London to the countrieside in Devon.When the two boys see a German plane go down, they tell Home Guard,but they find nothing.But the next day one of the boys fall in the river,but a German soldier saves him.Will the boys tell? I like this novel because it is exciting and exellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars it was exciting and interesting, 29 Mar 2001
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Paperback)
You should read this book because it has lots of 'hooks' (cliffhangers). It is adventurous, with two main characters, David and Tuckey, who help some Germans whose plane had crashed. The Germans helped to save David's life when he fell into the river. It is quite a long book, but it keeps you interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT STUFF!, 17 May 2008
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Paperback)
One morning David is awoken by his mother and he remembers that he was going to be sent away to the countryside. His mother takes him to the station where he sees all his friends and teachers who are also going. He arrives there nearly the last but someone else, Tucky, is last. Tony Tucker (also known as Tucky) is best friends with him. They are now like brothers as they are evacuated away to Devon, like all their other friends, from their homes and school in the big and busy city of London in the World War 2. They are the centre of attention for a while in the village but soon they are a little bit feared. They are staying with a nice couple, Jerry and Ann Reynolds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Kindle Edition)
This book is fantastic it has a lovely story line and a good message I hope to read more
Of these amazing books

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and griping, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Friend or Foe (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book it is shorter than most Michael mistletoe books. But still great. I am 10 year-old and read it in a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 July 2014
Mrs. N. Kay - See all my reviews
Brilliant

Friend or Foe
Friend or Foe by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 7 Nov 2011)