5.0 out of 5 stars First, find out more about gigs.
Published on 7 Feb. 2003 by P. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Summary
I am a year 5 teacher and this is a summary of pupils views in my class about the story 'Wreck of the Zanzibar':

Published on 18 Nov. 2011 by 5RM

5.0 out of 5 stars First, find out more about gigs., 7 Feb. 2003
First of all, you need to know that I'm a 48 year old male school-teacher. That might give you some idea of the impression that this book made of me, being moved to tears as I read the first few pages to my class. The story is written in the style of a diary; one that was written by young Laura Perryman on the tiny island of Bryher in 1908. In it, she keeps a record of the hardships faced by the family every day; how they face starvation, how they look out for shipwrecks as a source of unexpected bounty. It also tells the story of the gigs:- fast ocean going rowing boats, and how they raced to be the first to pilot a ship through the deadly waters of the Scilly Islands. A great book that has something to offer boys and girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Fantasic book, 7 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This is the story of the young Laura Perryman who lived in Isles of Scilly in Brhyer. We have been reading this book as a whole class This book has a exciting story line, fast pace and has great description it is in 1st person so that it explains Laura's life Happy sad thoughts and feelings

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master Storyteller dose it again, 22 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Wreck of the Zanzibar (Paperback)
The wreck of the Zanzibar begins and ends with Michael at his Great Aunt Laura's Funaral. Michael gets left his Great Aunt Laura's diary. This is the most eventful part of her life. The story of her brother Billy, her home town Bryher, and a thankful turtle. this book will have you on the edge of your seat a brilliant read.

I first read this book in school with my class and i haven't stopped reading Michael Morpurgo ever since.

If you are interested in reading more Michael Morpurgo i recommend Born to run, Arthur high king of Britain and the sleeping sword. all good books by The Master Storyteller, Michael Morpurgo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 30 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
My name is Ewan Paterson and I am from Ladyton Primary School in Scotland. My reading group have been doing a novel study. The book we have been reading is The Wreck of the Zanzibar.It is a heart warming tale an a very good book.It is amazing how Laura fed the turtle while the whole of Bryher was under a food crisis.

4.0 out of 5 stars A quick but interesting read, 2 Jan. 2011
Mr T Niwa (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wreck of the Zanzibar (Paperback)
This story is about a young boy called Michael who receives his grandmother's (Laura) diary after she dies. Inside the diary are entries of her life during the year 1907 on Bryher in the Scilly Isles. As a fourteen year-old she tells of tough times, her desires, the fate of her twin brother Billy and storms which bring disaster to the isle.

In the middle of the diary we learn that she meets a turtle, stranded on the beach near her house. She keeps the turtle's existence a secret from her family as she is scared that they'll turn him into turtle soup! The turtle becomes her closest confidant whom she shares all her fears with while the rest of her family cut themselves off from one another including Laura.

The story is told in diary form and can be read very quickly in less than 45 minutes. I probably would have preferred a novel with a bit more in depth detail like some of Morpurgo's other works but still this is a quick and interesting read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Summary, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Wreck of the Zanzibar (Paperback)

On the whole most of the pupils enjoyed the read of 'Wreck of the Zanzibar'. The introduction hooked most of the class in, with it's sad, emotional yet captivating start. The story is based around a diary given to a boy called Michael who is mourning the death of his Great-Aunt Laura. She leaves the diary to Michael and that is when the book follows the topsy turvey life of Laura as a forteen year old, living on an Island in the Isle of Scilly.

Although most children enjoyed the story, many found the pace of the story slow and uninteresting in places. Without giving to much away, they enjoyed the language used to describe certian events as well as the humour that crept in from time to time. A common comment was also that the book was a little short and that there could have been more detail in places where 'exciting' things were not happening.

The reviews that the children have written as part of this topic suggest that on the whole it is a good short read, but lacks the adventure and exctiement of other Michale Morpurgo books such as 'Born to Run', 'War Horse' or 'Arthur High King of Britain'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morpurgo at his very best, 15 April 2015
hfffoman (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I read this to a group of about 10 children of varying ages. Everyone enjoyed it including me. It neatly combines excitement, reflection and Morpurgo's prose at his best.

It is short at 122 pages but had as much impact as any of his novels. I see that a lot of the reviewers are comparing it with Born to run, Arthur High King of Britain, War Horse and The Sleeping Sword. Some of his lesser known books are also excellent (and possibly better) - Kensuke's Kingdom, The War of Jenkins Ear, Waiting for Anya and, yes, the Wreck of the Zanzibar

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wreck of the Zanzibar, 13 Jun. 2010
Ms. A. J. White (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wreck of the Zanzibar (Paperback)
I ordered this book for my grandson, as he was doing a project at school involving the book and the Isles of Scilly. I greatly enjoyed reading this with him. Not having heard of this author before I found him extremely good and would read more of his books with my grandchildren. I have also seen that the author, Michael Morpurgo, has written a story about the Olympics mascots and will look forward to reading this - a great idea to get children involved. The service in ordering this book was fantastic and I would not hesitate to od it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Wreck of the Zanzibar (Paperback)
This is an excellent book full stop! Never mind just children's book.

I would go as far as to say it is in my top 5 books ever.

I am a primary school teacher and have used this book on so many levels. Reading for the plot alone is fab but reading between the lines gives you endless possibilities.

This book really makes you think whether you are an adult or a child!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Wreck of the Zanzibar, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Wreck of the Zanzibar (Paperback)
A few years ago, we read this book at school. Since we read another Michael Morpurgo book, the Butterfly Lion, the year before, we were all quite excited about it. However, after about two chapters, the whole story became incredibly boring and depressing. I have also read The Nine Lives of Montazuma, Little Foxes and Private Peaceful and this book was not up to Morpurgos usual standard.

The Wreck of the Zanzibar
The Wreck of the Zanzibar by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 10 May 2012)