5.0 out of 5 stars Life on the Frontier
Published on 7 May 2004 by Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers

2.0 out of 5 stars Black and white illustrations
very disappointed, the preview of this edition is misleading, you think you're buying a fill colour edition but in fact you are buying only a black and white one. the description of this product is insufficient. If you want full colours buy the 2003 (more expensive) edition.
Published 6 months ago by H4hime

5.0 out of 5 stars Life on the Frontier, 7 May 2004
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Pa Ingalls is tired of how crowded the big woods are getting. So he decides to sell the house and move west with his family. Just before the ice breaks, the family loads up their wagon and heads out. They cross the Mississippi River and then head south, settling two days away from Independence, Missouri. Now they have to build a new house and survive the wilderness. Meanwhile, Laura is anxious to see a papoose. And with all the Indians in the area, she may get her chance.
This is a charming book. It's almost a collection of short stories with many chapters being a self-contained event. Still, through these pages, we get a good picture of life on the American frontier 130 years ago. The book gives plenty of detail about their everyday life without getting bogged down. And it is interesting. Frankly, some of the chapters are so harrowing I felt my pulse quicken. Often I found myself shaking my head in awe at what the Ingalls dealt with on a daily basis. This is a good way to make anyone appreciate just what we have today.
These books are still popular 70 years after they were first written for good reason. They are an entertaining and enlightening look at a bygone era.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Big Hit, 23 April 2004
By A Customer
My daughter who has just read this book and is absolutely crazy about it. She is nearly 6 and loves the book in the same way I remember loving it asa child. The way of living is so different, so hard, I think it isfascinating for her. She has been reading more typical books, but theseseem to have grabbed her attention in a way that modern books can't, thereis so much information entwined with the story. She has now startedreading 'Little House in the Big Woods' to her teacher's surprise but istotally engrossed in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the collection, 13 Jan. 2008
In this book, the Ingalls meets some Native Indians, Mr Edwards and Mrs Scott. The whole family catch `Fever n' 'angue' which now is called Malaria. While Pa is out, some Indians come and take tobacco and some food. They do this a second time while Pa is out about a few months after. At the end, Laura and her family leave again searching for a new home in Minnesota. This book is so imaginative that it feels like a fiction where you are experiencing everything. I really enjoyed `The Little House in the Prairie' and I think this book is really good. I really recommend it to everyone who reads this review. I rate this book 9/ 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic reading: a must-have, 22 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
Wonderfully descriptive, exciting and memorable novel based on the author's experiences as a child in the pioneer days of the 1880's. She paints a vivid picture of the courage and enterprise of her family - Pa, Ma, big sister Mary and baby Carrie - as they trek from the Wisconsin woods across the lonely and hostile prairie to establish their own 'little house' and farmstead. Along the way they encounter wolves, forest fires, fever, and other hazards: the experiences of an American pioneer family were truly stranger than fiction.
Ingalls Wilder is a wonderful writer, conveying a rich picture of family life and the vast landscapes of the Western frontier. She writes about herself in the third person and emerges as an engaging, somewhat rebellious heroine, whose sibling rivalry with good-as-gold sister Mary rings all too true.
The discerning reader will not fail to be jarred by Pa's complacent attitude towards the displacement of the native American communities. Nonetheless, the author's powerful description of the Indian tribe moving in a long slow line over the horizon is both haunting and humane.
A great classic about an extraordinary period in American history. Put all thoughts of the saccharine TV series of the 1970s out of your mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent audio book, 30 Jun. 2011
I bought this audio book for my daughters who are 6 and 7 years old. They listened to the first cd a couple of times before they fully tuned in to it and were eager to move to the next cd and find out what happened. It looks into instances of the life of a family between arriving and building their house on the prairie and moving on some time later. The story is narrated through the eyes of one of the daughters, Laura. The narrator reads in a very expressive voice and in a regional American accent which help convey the atmosphere of the story and keep the attention. The story unfolds slowly and with beautiful language and detailed descriptions that, as my daughters say, help you make pictures in your mind. My girls thoroughly enjoy listening to this audio book and I would warmly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars For young and old, 24 Jan. 2007
Jennifer Fugate (Leuven, Belgium) - See all my reviews
These stories are fascinating. When I was little I watched the series on television; loved every single episode, and now that I'm older I enjoy the stories, scenery depictions and sentiment in a whole different way, still remembering the impression the books made on me as a child.

My oldest son is 5 years old, and this book has not only provided hours of entertainment, but also helped him understand history, development and differences between now & the past.

The illustrations are not very vivid, however we are just starting to read these type of books, and the story is fascinating enough that the boys keep up without pictures.

In addition, most childrens' books we have seem to be about boys, and the fact that this story is told by a girl, seems to add to the broadening of my boy's mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite, 30 April 2009
I read this as a little girl, and now I'm loving sharing it with my children. These are beautifully written books, with the original illustrations. Although some of the descriptive passages are rather long for my five year old, there is sufficient action for her to be grabbed, and my six year old is 'living' this along with Laura and Mary. A book to be enjoyed at any age.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little House on the Prairie (Pub Avon edition), 4 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
Please note that the Avon "original series paperback" editions do NOT have the illustrations by Garth Williams as advertised by Amazon at February 2005. The story is as charming as it ever was, but if you are looking for a replacement for your old worn out paperback, beware that this doesn't contain any of the illustrations earlier/other published versions have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow This Early American Family, 19 July 2015
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
When I was a child, I had the entire series of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Books. My babysitter at the time, gave me her set. I was careful to loan out the books one at a time to friends I knew would cherish them as much as I did.

I started giving these books to my grandchild, and at first we read them together, then she started reading them on her own. Now, we watch the old television series together, and it brings back memories of our days reading together. We both love the television series as much as we do the books, they portray the life as it was. Maybe not as primitive, but certainly as children , they accept the hard work and the limited income the Wilder's have. This family is a superb e ample if a hapoy family, their ups and downs, and they have many, and the manger in which the family faces each obstacle. An excellent example of a true family life.

Recommended. prisrob7-19-15

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous set of stories!!!, 28 Dec. 2013
I cannot recommend these books highly enough.....they are wonderful!
I read the entire series to my young son many years ago.....he was
totally entranced by the lives
of this pioneer family.....and it is good for children nowadays to read how
children lived when there was no television, computer games, a refrigerator
full of food....in other words, when life wasn't so easy!!
He especially liked the book the author wrote about her husband's childhood
'Farmer Boy'! Hopefully still available in book or audiobook.

Little House on the Prairie
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Paperback - 24 Jun. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01