Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 November 2009
Michael Morpurgo - a fantastic author ! My daughter is ten years old and we have both enjoyed his books together and his stories are written in a way that is appealing to both young and old, but .......... 'The Best of Times' is really a simple fairytale that really perhaps should have an age recommendation attached. It is a small book, very short story and in my opinion best suited for age 7 yrs and under. A sweet little book but only for the little ones !
on 1 December 2009
I bought this book for my ten year old grand daughter but thought that I ought to read it myself first. The facts and the fiction were woven together in such a way that I immediately felt involved in the story. It wasn't too gruesome for a child to read and there was an empathy for the determined and courageous little boy and an understanding of the animals.

The story unravelled many current projects to ponder on.
on 24 November 2013
This is a startling little book.
It moves you back and forth from feelings of sorrow to joy.
On the surface it's another poignant fairy tale among many but
I think there is deep magic in a book that can so easily and
completely touch your feelings.

The beautiful illustrations capture the essential plot
brilliantly.

It's a book to ponder and will touch the feelings of all ages
if you let it.
Here Michael Morpurgo shows that he can write as well for younger children as he can for those entering their teens. This is engaging and original, an ideal tale for parents to read to the very young and a well worthwhile, most rewarding read for those aged around 7+. Emma Chichester Clark provides illustrations that fit perfectly the mood and style of the story. Recommended.
on 5 March 2014
Can Michael Murpurgo and Emma Chichester Clarke ever produce anything less than charming? No. Although the story is nothing new, it's a nice book. It's a small sized book (or the version I bought was) which is handy for small presents or travelling but I suspect some of the magic of the illustrations is missing in this size. Nice but doesn't have the wow factor.
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2013
There is nothing that Michael Morpurgo has written that won't appeal to one child or another, and this is aimed at the younger ones - a nice read aloud fairy story with lovely illustrations and a happy ending.
on 7 January 2014
The best of times is a classic childrens novel, very entertaining,
Suitable for children ages 7 and up however younger ones it could be read to.
on 16 January 2014
Ordered this for my school. Nicely illustrated and a good Christmas story for young children to read. A good purchase for 9 years plus.
on 16 March 2014
This is a sweet, beautifully illustrated story of an unhappy princess which will make good bedtime reading for a child of 7 or more.
on 23 December 2013
Good Christmas gift for my 8 year old grandaughter who is a very competent reader. Did not read the whole book myself.