on 2 August 2007
Darcie Lock's father has disappeared and she is given a choice; try to help find him, or hop on a plane to the States, and safety, where her mother is waiting for her. Darcie is gadgetted up, attacked, and takes tea with the rich and privileged of Nairobi, but it is the characters who stick out in this story.
She has to decide who she can trust, who has their own private motives, and who has more secrets than they care to share. Most importantly, she has to find her dad. All of these characters are brought to life by Golding's lively language, and the situations Darcie faces are solved more believably than in other spy stories.
Good for girls (and boys) who refuse to sit there looking pretty, I would recommend this book to all younger teens (and alot of bigger kids too - I'm sixteen and enjoyed it!) Will I be buying the sequel? Most definitely yes.
on 3 September 2007
Ringmaster is a thrilling tale of Darcie Lock whose life is turned upside down when her father is kidnapped. It is a page turning adventure, each chapter brings new surprises. My 12 year old daughter who is not a big reader loved it and quickly read it. She is now eagerly awaiting the next installment.
on 2 January 2010
Ringmaster is a brilliant book. It has the right mix of adventure and conversation which makes it both exciting and interesting. Apart from a slightly boring section in the middle, I found Ringmaster to be very enjoyable. The story starts like this... A fourteen year old girl called Darcie Lock gets home from school in Nairobi to discover that her father is missing. Darcie's mother is in the United States so she is all alone. In desperation, she calls the place that her father works. She panics when the receptionist-Miss Gladys Smith-informs her that he no longer works there. Gladys tells her that she'll send someone around to look after her. From then on her life is an amazing story of spies, fashion designers and jolly taxi drivers.
on 11 December 2012
Darcie lock goes home to find her dad missing; brought up in the capital of Kenya with her two very ordinary parents she is shocked when she finds out that they are spies. When Darcie realises her father has been court in a mission and her mum has to go into secret underground hiding she realises that the only way to save him is to dig deep and work for the secret intelligence service herself. Darcie, only a teenager is forced into the world of military and espionage, to find her father who could ultimately die. She meets a soldier Stingo who becomes her best friend, but also has many confrontations with enemies. I love this book, the characters are brilliant and this is defiantly one of my favourites.Ringmaster (Darcie Lock)
on 31 July 2007
Darcie Lock was a normal girl living in Nairobi but now she's got to be a spy in order to find her captured father.

I found it a bit crazy that the intelligence people just turned up at her house and expected her to suddenly train and become a spy. It got better as it went along though and I did enjoy the ending.

I didn't think this book would be very good but I actually quite liked it. Some of the ways she got out of situations were a bit ridiculous but I still enjoyed it for a quick read!
on 1 November 2014
Meet Darcie. Living in Africa while her dad works at the British embassy is the life she's always had. With everything else she's just a normal tomboyish girl who likes to fence and has a mother who is way too into fashion.
Until her whole world collapses when her dad disappears and her mum is off getting her nails done in new york. Turning to agency for help she finds out the surprising truth about her mum and dad. They are both s*ys! With her dad captured and both her parents living secret lives she never knew about what is Darcie going to do? Or can she do anything? Read the book to find out more..
on 9 February 2014
this book is about a teenage girl who both parents are in the mi6 she is feisty and determined. i really enjoyed this book as it has some v. humorous bits in it, i never got bored and something was always happening.
on 24 June 2014
I think this book deserves 5 stars because it is a delight to read. It's funny, witty and well-written. It is about a teenage spy. I'd recommend this to any girl from 10-13. Good read.
on 18 March 2008
I love this book! It is fun, exciting and it is also about a girl.The characters are loveable(even the baddies!). Some parts I had to read again, beacuse I am a fast reader and missed some details. A must read. Julia Golding is one of my favourite authors. All her books are different, so if you don't like this one, don't give up on all her books!I recommend it to girls rather than boys, beetween the ages of 9 and 15. Read This.
on 31 August 2014
I am totally getting the next book I could not put it down so exiting and funny I totally recommend it

I got my mum to read it and he said Darcy is so much like me