5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books I have ever read !
Published on 16 Aug 2001 by email@rosewalden.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not quite as good as I remembered as a child
Published 2 months ago by stephanie fuller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books I have ever read !, 16 Aug 2001
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
my friend flicka is a brilliant read. I have read all three in the seiris My fiend flicka , Thunderhead and The green grass of wyoming the first book i got was thunderhead as i was the only one i could find. My friend flicka is about a young boy called ken who lives with his mum ,dad and his brother Howard, all ken longs for is the day he is allowed a colt of his own and after getting bad test marks at school ken proimises that if he can have a colt of his own he will work harder and get better marks BUT this is only the beging of a three part story of the ups and downs of ken Mclaughlin's ranch life. READ ALL THREE BOOKS AND FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS !

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 14 Aug 1999
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
i was 12 when i read my friend flicka and as i love horses i loved the book.i then went on and read my friend flicka 2,thunderhead 1,2 &3 and the green grass of wyoming parts 1,2&3. after reading the whole series Ken grows up from being a mindless daydreamer to a young man with flicka by his side all the while.an excellent novel!!!well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 1 Mar 2002
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
My Friend Flicka is a really good book. I read it last year, I am now 12, and it touched my heart that someone could be so loyal to a horse.Anyway I'd advise this book to any horse lover. I am now reading the book Thunerhead which is about Flickas foal. Its a very good book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Great Book!, 16 May 1999
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite books ever!!! I could identify with Ken, being a daydreamer and a horse lover too. I get in trouble for forgetting things all the time, so I really understood how he felt. The way he loved Flicka, and wouldn't let his father sell her off with all the other of the Albino's offspring really moved me, and the way he cared for her and loved her the whole time, even when she was afraid of him. I've read this several times and I know I'll read it again. I just started The Red Pony and i still like My Friend Flicka MUCH more!!! I would recommend this to anyone!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED this book!, 25 Mar 1998
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
This book has been a favorite of mine ever since the first time I read it. I read it all I can and lend it to ALL of my friends. There is so much to learn from this book, not only do you learn about horses and methods of training them, but you also learn about the human nature. You have Ken, the boy that only wanted one thing, a colt, but could not have one because of his forgetfullness. You've got Rob McLaughlin, a soldier boy who expects his boys to be army boys too. You've got Nell, the well-doer in this book, with a soft, kind heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for those who loved Steinbeck's The Red Pony, 22 Nov 1996
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
Upon reading the first few chapters of this book, I thought it would be much like Steinbeck's The Red Pony, and was tempted to put it down. A person can only take so many horse - boy books after all. Once I had completed the book I was extremely glad that I had continued reading it. It was only slightly like The Red Pony. The book was emotional and caring. It captured young Ken McLaughlin's attitude toward life. Ken, a boy with his head often in the clouds, truly tried to please his rather domineering, yet loving father. The only thing that Ken wanted was a colt of his own. When he got "his Flicka", he loved her from the start. He matured as quickly as he could, so as to please his father. Ken also had to take care of his colt, which took away much of the time he would otherwise spend daydreaming. The adventures Ken has with Flicka are ones to be remembered. This is an emotional book, that will keep you either at the edge of your seat, or sprawled crying on the bed. Bring along a box of tissues if you're that type. You'll be sure to read it more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids, 10 Aug 1998
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
I first read this book in the 4th grade, and loved it. I especially liked the fact that issues were addressed that don't normally fall within the scope of children's literature, like the marital tensions between Nell and Rob. I recently bought a fresh copy (I've probably bought a dozen over the years, as gifts or to replace loaned copies never returned) for my husband, in preparation for our own Wyoming ranch. I recommend this strongly -- I disagree that it's a tear-jerker, but it is very warm and touching. I also recommend "Thunderhead," the sequel to "Flicka."

5.0 out of 5 stars You are mad if you haven't read it!! TRUE, 27 Feb 2001
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
This book is brilliant. You are all the people and are yelling at Ken's father to do it. I think this book is super for anyone. You don't have to be crazy on horses and ponies like I am. I would recomend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book in the World, 27 Feb 2001
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
I think it is the best book I have evey read. I have read loads of other horsy books by other famous authors, but I still think the set of books about Ken and his mare Flicka are at the top of my ratings.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read it!, 15 Dec 1998
This review is from: My Friend Flicka (Paperback)
My Friend Flicka is about a boy (Ken) who was never able to do anything right. His daydreams got so far in front of his work, that it seemed like he couldn't do a job without breaking his equipment, or getting scolded for doing the job wrong. His father said that Ken cost him money every time he turned around. To make Ken feel like he could accomplish something, his mother and father gave him a colt to break, and to keep for his own. He named it Flicka. The colt is what Ken had always wanted, and to repay his father and mother, he tried his hardest at his work to do it right, and he suceeded. This book is full of excitement,sorrow, and happiness. You have to read it for yourself!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Friend Flicka
My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara (Paperback - 5 Nov 2007)