5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best kids books ever written!!
Published on 11 Dec. 2000 by lisa@smilewebs.com

2.0 out of 5 stars altered text
Published on 17 July 2012 by Charlotte

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best kids books ever written!!, 11 Dec. 2000
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
I read lots of books as a child, many by Enid Blyton, but this has to be the best by far. It's all about 4 children, Bessie, Fanny, Jo and Dick and all the adventures that they had with their fairy friends in the Magic Faraway Tree. Even after 25 years I can still remember what "toffee shocks" and "pop biscuits" are. I'm now reading it to my 6 year old twins and it's magical to hear the excitement as they long to ride the "slipery slip" and make up their own versions of Saucepan Man's silly songs. If you have children, buy them this book, they will love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perry Hill Infants School, 18 Dec. 2002
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
This book was read to the infants class I was in by our teacher Mrs Kensit - she bought this book alive (with all the proper appropriate voices)and we were all totally captivated 5 year olds. I have read this book to children both boys and girls who were equally enthralled - I have re-read it and the others in the series many times and I am now 55! It is still as magical as it was 50 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Faraway Tree, 22 April 2012
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Hardcover)
Such a lovely book. I was expecting it to be normal novel-sized, but the particular book we were sent is huge! And colourful and one of the most beautifully illustrated books. I bought it for my daughter who's experiencing the magic of these books just like I did as a child. And the pictures are really making it an even more magical experience.

As we read it the stories are coming back to me. It's amusing me that in this version, some of the names have changed; Fanny has become Franny and Dick is now Rick. And I'm sure some other things have changed over time too to make them more PC. But we're both enjoying it a lot. My daughter was 4 or 5 when we started reading this series, but I would recommend it for all children, young and old. Read these books and be transformed into a lovely, innocent world where children can go off into the woods by themselves and stay there until dinnertime. Going up trees, meeting up with strange creatures and visiting strange lands, and eating pop-cakes to their hearts content. Innocent escapism at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read but buy original copy rather than brand new......., 25 July 2003
S. J. Mitchell (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
I read these books as a 6 year old, again as a teenager and countless times since. I can only echo what previous reviewers have already written - fantastic, every single word. The characters are imaginative yet believeable, the children are well brought up and likeable and the adventures make you green with envy.
Unfortunately I have mislaid my copies and sought to replace them. However, I discovered that the new reprints have changed the children's names from Joe, Bessie, Fanny and Dick, to Joe, Beth, Frannie and Rick. Pathetic. Definitely buy it, but buy secondhand copies to read it the way that Ms Blyton intended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift that a child will treasure, 31 Jan. 2003
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
I can not recommend this book enough!I read all the Faraway Tree stories when I was a child and out of the hundreds of books that i consequently read, it is the only one that I have bought to put away to read to my daughter when she is older.
The book is based around the magical adventures that Joe,Beth and Frannie encounter when they climb up the Faraway Tree. I can still remember the excitement of reading about the fantastic lands that they visited and wishing that I could find a Faraway Tree of my very own!
Enid Blyton is a fantastic author and the writing describing characters such as Silky the fairy, Moonface and the slippery-slip slide and Mr Saucepan man will bring the magic alive and boost and capture a child's imagination.

This book is a perfect gift to give a child to encourage a love of reading and I think it would be hard to find a book that adults will love reading to their child as much as this one.
It is a book for the young and the young at heart who wish they still believed in MAGIC!

2.0 out of 5 stars altered text, 17 July 2012
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
The publisher has edited and changed the book from the original. The names of the children have been changed and various other details. As we have the other 2 in the series, with the original names, it was very confusing for my daughter (and me as I had to remember to change them back when I read it out loud!) I sent it back and ordered an older edition. I know the language and names are very old fashioned, but so are lots of other books and they don't get re-written. Censorship for 5 year olds!! The description should come with a big warning (it does give the new names in the description but I didn't pick it up till we had the book and my 5 year old said, confused 'but that's not her name?'. Which is a huge shame as she and I both love the story! It's brilliant for reading aloud for 4-6 year olds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why change their names?, 8 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
Whoever felt it necessary to change the names of the characters in this book, caused a lot of disappointment in our house! We have already read two well-battered collections of these wonderful stories, and then suddenly Jo, Bessie, Fanny and Dick are to become Joe, Beth, Frannie and Rick? It's a bit hard to take them seriously anymore.
Isn't half the point of books that they take you to a different place, time and world? So what's wrong with old fashioned names?
The illustrations are awful, unimaginative and uninteresting. But, fortunately the original idea of the story is as fascinating to my 5 year old as it was to me so I give it 4 stars, but with a severe health warning to anyone who has read the originals!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, Wonderful, Amazing, A MUST!!!!!!, 26 Jun. 2002
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
The Magic Faraway Tree along with Folk of the Faraway Tree and The Enchanted Wood are 3 of the very best books ever written. I remember reading them as a child and recently bought them for my 5 year old niece. They brought back all of those magical memories and left such a warm feeling of nostalgia that I bought them for myself aswell. The concept is a magic tree, in which various fairy folk live, is simply enormous and reaches right up to the clouds where there's a different land every week. These range from fun ones like The Lands of Take-What-You-Want and and Do-As-You-Please to more 'sinister' ones such as Dame-Slap's School and The Land of Tempers. Adventure is always at hand and the imagination runs over-time. Just what every kid needs to wean them off computer games and into books - and adults to re-live their childhoods. BUY IT NOW!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a rubbish idea to change the names!, 1 Sept. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
Bought this to read with my 5 year old daughter. Found all the names changed. Joe Beth and Frannie indeed. My daughter wouldn't accept the new names, and why should she. I ended up taking the book back. Don't buy this PC rubbish, buy a copy of the 1992 mammoth edition instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very magical, 5 July 2006
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
Every child is sure to enjoy this tale of magic, fantasy and unusual lands at the top of the Faraway Tree... I still remember with just a bit of nostalgia the Land of Birthdays...the Land of Take What You Want.. The Land of Topsy Turvy. This is a lovely, innocent book for children with an imagination and I just don't understand the rewriting of it Adults should stay away from children's world and remember that children will not think twice about words such as Dick or queer. Why not just rewrite EVERY book that has ever been written before 1990 if we insist on doing that to Enid Blyton?? 5 stars go to the original version, which is the only one my kids will be reading!

The Magic Faraway Tree
The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton (Paperback - 3 May 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01