5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding sequel, 15 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh) (Hardcover)
First off, let me say I'm an adult, having never read the Pooh stories when I was a child. Now for the review:

The House At Pooh Corner is just as good, if not better, than the original Winnie the Pooh. It's a shame Milne only wrote two (prosaic) Pooh books - but then I think that's also what makes them so special. I made sure I savoured this slowly, reading a chapter every now and then. It is actually a superb read for adults - Milne is an author of great skill (both in technique and in story telling), and there are so many nuances in the text; it's not too difficult to see Milne's world view and philosophies behind the surface of each chapter, and his stories so wonderfully reflect his wonder at the imagination of children. Each of the character personalities is so distinct, too - Milne often makes fun of society, particularly by cheekily capitalising certain words. And Shepard's illustrations are ingenious, capturing the essence of Milne's descriptions humorously and, I'm sure, accurately. Finally, the grammar and punctuation is fantastically old school and top drawer - a much better reference than a dry text on the subject. If you want a refreshing break from your day-to-day life, are an adult that wants to awaken their inner child, or if you want to transport yourself to a world where life is simple and delightful, read The House At Pooh Corner! In fact, there is a lot to be said for reading early years fiction as an adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the Disney cartoons, 25 May 2010
Ruth O'D (Limerick, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Apparantly JRR Tolkien stipulated before his death that on no account was the Disney company to be allowed to get hold of his work, it's a pity A A Milne didn't do the same. The original Disney film - Winnie The Pooh - The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh [DVD] [1977] - isn't too bad; a little cute perhaps, but it does use the original stories and mostly keeps to the spirit of the books. Since then, however, Pooh Bear and his friends have become just another group of cute Disney animals who love each other and learn trite lessons about caring and sharing. Eeyore has perhaps suffered the most - from a wonderful bitter, sarcastic, patronising character he has become a mild depressive who only wants to be loved.

So don't be put off by the cartoons, these stories are wise, funny and poetic. They deal with all the faults and foibles of adult society; Pooh's laziness, greed and thoughtlessness, Piglet's cowardice and insecurity, Rabbit's bossiness and impatience, Tigger's boastfulness - I could compare it to Middlemarch for it's insight into human character and power of observation, but it is much funnier and is simple enough to be enjoyed by very young kids. A A Milne's unusual way of writing adds greatly to the stories; he writes in his own particular, rather mock-heroic style with lots of Unnecessary Capitals for Emphasis - I'd love to type out the whole book, but here is a little sample from the title story - "Thank you, Piglet," said Pooh. "What you have just said will be a Great Help to us, and because of it I could call this place Poohanpiglet Corner if Pooh Corner didn't sound better, which it does, being smaller and more like a corner."

My favourite stories are those about Rabbit; 'Rabbit's Busy Day' and 'Tigger is Unbounced' (maybe because I see a little of myself in Rabbit!). In the second of these, he tries, with Pooh and Piglet's help, to lose the boisterous Tigger in the forest so they can find him again "a Humble Tigger ... a Sad Tigger, a Melancholy Tigger, a Small and Sorry Tigger, an Oh-Rabbit-I-am-glad-to-see-you Tigger" - it all goes wrong, Rabbit gets lost, and instead HE is rescued by "a Friendly Tigger, a Grand Tigger, a Large and Helpful Tigger ..."

There's an essay, a sermon or a book on human psychology in every chapter but most of all it's an absolute pleasure to read - in my house we know bits of it off by heart. I prefer 'The House at Pooh Corner' to the first Winnie the Pooh book, which I think is a little sweeter and less clever, but it may just be because I read this one first.

I can't resist another quote - Tigger is stuck up a tree and the animals are debating how to get him down:

"I thought," said Piglet earnestly, "that if Eeyore stood at the bottom of the tree, and if Pooh stood on Eeyore's back, and if I stood on Pooh's shoulders -"
"And if Eeyore's back snapped suddenly, then we could all laugh. Ha Ha! Amusing in a quiet way," said Eeyore, "but not really helpful."
"Well," said Piglet meekly, "I thought -"
"Would it break your back, Eeyore?" asked Pooh, very much surprised.
"That's what would be so interesting, Pooh. Not being quite sure till afterwards."

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect voice, 6 April 2001
Alan Bennett's voice is superb for this reading of the Winne-the-pooh stories. My favourite is his version of Eeyore. A treat for listeners young and old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger. What more do you need?, 27 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
One of my favourite books of all time (and im 22 now) and still i read it once in a while. The strength of the book lies in the simplicity of the stories themselves. Eeyore is as gloomy and tragic as ever while Pooh as ever continues along his way appreciating the simple things in life, like using your imagination and hunting woozles and heffalumps. Milne's interpretation of a childhood through toy friends is an excellent parllel with my experiences when younger and his tales are likely to strike a chord with readers of all ages. Rediscovering "pooh sticks" earlier on this year led me to read the book again and i remembered the stunningly unexpected undertones in the last chapter of the book. Piglet, Owl, Pooh, Eeyore, Kanga and Roo all feature, not forgetting the fabulously fun filled feline that is Tigger. A must for a desert island book list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for every young child (and adults too!), 22 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
Alan Bennett brings your imagination alive with his telling of A.A. Miilne classic tales. There is really no need for television as your mind paints the pictures as Alan gives each character a beautifuly crafted voice which just seems so right. I'm considering the purchase of another copy. As my current one is wearing rather thin now.... O for a Compact Disc version...

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best!, 25 Oct. 2014
Thomas Naish (staffs) - See all my reviews
Winnie the Pooh is, I reckon, the greatest children's writing in English, closely followed by Kenneth Graeme and Roald Dahl. The two things that link these three writers together is 1) they never 'write down' to their audience, and 2) they understand that children's perception of language, although less sophisticated than adults (which is only the result of education), is just as great. The write language that fizzes, flows and leaps off the page at the reader, just as brilliantly as any of the 'great writers' in english.
Like all the best literature (for that's what these writers wrote), it is best read out loud and savoured.
Finally, all of the above means that their work is as much aimed at adults as it is children, maybe even more so. I used a passage from 'In Which Piglet Does A Very Grand Thing' ( Throughly bastardised by Disney who turned it into the boring and mellifulously flat, Winnie the Pooh and the Windy Day), to illustrate the idea of Mutally Assured Destruction regarding nuclear weapons in a university essay. Pooh and Piglet are off to visit Owl on a windy day. The wind is blowing noisily through the tree tops scaring Piglet. He asked Pooh, 'Suppose a tree fell down when we were underneath it?' Pooh thought for a moment and replied, 'Suppose it didn't.' Piglet was comforted by this. Analogy, what happens if the Russians/Americans launch a nuclear strike against us? Suppose they don't? The passage which I'll let people discover for themselves, describing the collapse of Owl's house, and the 'movement' of the portarit of Great Uncle Robert, is simply sublime!
Utterly brilliant stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back In A Golden Childhood Summer, 14 Oct. 2014
I've just read this in instalments to my seven-year-old daughter. "Winnie-The-Pooh" was an absolute hit, but this one left her a little puzzled.

Christopher Robin and a collection of animals based on the author's son's toys are still having gentle adventures in the Hundred-Acre-Wood, back in a very English 1920s. The animals have very distinct personalities, and a little chaos is introduced at the arrival of the new animal Tigger, who is immensely bouncy. The adventures are gentle, and the illustrations are full of charm.

A.A. Milne is a skilled wordsmith, but in this book he spends more time on showing off his wordplay than on actually telling the story, and I regularly had to flag up the illustrations so my daughter could follow what was actually happening. A lot of the dialogue appears to be satirising very adult traits in humans that we recognise today, but that level of things went right over my daughter's head. (Good fun for adult readers, though.)

During the book, Christopher Robin starts disappearing in the mornings to learn mysterious things like numbers and letters, so I explained he has started going to school. The final chapter, in which Christopher Robin says good-bye, is very deep, but also very obscurely written. I explained that Christopher Robin is going away to boarding school (that's my educated guess) and he's leaving behind his toys and the Hundred-Acre-Wood because he's growing up. My daughter really grasped that metaphor. She'll probably discover more layers in future re-reads, which she has started to do.

8+ years reading level, if the child is reading it themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars a much-loved classic revisited, 1 Mar. 2007
hillbank68 "almac1975" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I can remember reading this as a small child and laughing until it hurt (in the Heffalump story). In places it is very funny, but it's much more than that. Pooh is a most attractive character for a child - cuddly, friendly, not very bright, usually cheerful, a bit silly .... and he is supported, as are all the animals, by the most wonderful, gentle, characterful illustrations by E.H. Shepherd. It seems in a way a shame to analyse why this book (and, of course, its companion 'Winnie the Pooh') is so successful and has lasted so well - tempting just to be grateful that it's there for our children to read, and for us to read to them. But there is an interesting mix of personalities among the animals( bouncy, rather irritating Tigger, cynical Eeyore, reliable but timid Piglet, busy animal-of-affairs Rabbit), the stories are all beautifully crafted, the little rhymes (the 'hums') are immediately memorable and a lot of funny things happen. Put all these things together with the wonderful pictures and add an indefinable 'extra something' and you've got this treasurable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood pleasures, 1 Nov. 2013
Great story, timeless and enjoyed by all sorts of ages! Read it for fun
it speaks of long term loving and kind relationships

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood revisited, 17 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh) (Hardcover)
I had this book when I was a child and its exactly how I remember it (unlike many things). A fantastic purchase. The kids and I love it

The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh)
The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh) by A.A. Milne (Hardcover - 5 Oct. 2009)