5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic, can't put down, excellent childs book
Published on 25 Mar 2011 by Lou

3.0 out of 5 stars Hey
school is dumb
i like plums
i like humming bird cakes
i have been bitten by a yellow and green snakes
i have kissed a boy
he likes toys!!?
Have you ever seen a vampire bat?
They look like my hippos flat pink mat
i want to be a couple
there is a song called trople
There is a wind that is a fart
My favourite is a...
Published 2 months ago by daniel fogu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic, can't put down, excellent childs book, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: Twist of Gold (Paperback)
My sons (whos 9) teacher gave him this book to read. My son is a reluctant reader so we read a page each but I can honestly say that this book has really encouraged his reading. The story starts in famine stricken Ireland and follows 2 children who travel to America to find their father. It is a fab book which end each chapter with a cliff hanger willing the child to read on. I would recommend this book for 10year olds+ it has a fantasic story and is full of sad and happy adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loove this book. I will never ever forget it., 13 April 2009
S. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Gold (Paperback)
You must read this book. I love it. The story is amazing and emotional. I cried with sorrow, giggled with joy and fumed with anger. This book is very touching. The story is based in Ireland, during the hunger, when there was a horrific potato blight that wiped out the nation. This tells the story of Sean and Annie, whose mother is dying, as they going on a terrific adventure to America. Follow the story as they ride on horses, almost starve to death, and befriend some unusual people. You cannot afford to miss this book. It is absolutely sensational. You MUST read it!Another masterpiece of Morpurgo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Very Good !, 11 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Twist of Gold (Paperback)
The Twist of Gold is an excellent book.I think the way he those to write about the journey of two young children travelling on their own from Ireland to America with all the ups and downs of it , fascinating. I found it very interesting and I felt I was actually in the book seeing everything that was going on inside. I think everybody should read this book, they will enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Jan 2002
This review is from: Twist of Gold (Paperback)
An excellent read, touching on historical facts, starting with the potato famine in Ireland and British rule, to the Irish immigrant boats to America, and the first settlers in America. I found this easy to read, yet not so simple that older children would be put off by the narrative. A lovely story with wonderful colourful characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing for children, 8 Nov 2010
Katie Stevens "Ygraine" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Gold (Paperback)
I've loved every single one of Michael Morpurgo's books that I've picked up since I first read Why the Whales Came many years ago. He is, in my opinion, one of the best older children's authors still writing, and Twist of Gold serves as a wonderful reminder of why that is.

The story of Twist of Gold follows two children as they journey from Ireland to Boston and then onwards through America in search of their father. Along the way, they are helped by a string of supporting characters who are all well-drawn and engaging. Morpurgo is able to make the reader warm to each of these people in a very short space of time and each one is a carefully crafted individual so that although the story develops in a fairly formulaic manner (children get into trouble and are rescued by kindly person) it never feels repetitive or dull. I was also pleased that Morpurgo doesn't feel the need to tie all of these characters into the ending in a contrived manner, but leaves them as steps along the journey.

The writing, as always, is very skillful and the sort which can be enjoyed by readers of any age, which for me is the mark of a good children's book. His vocabulary choices are sometimes challenging but always appropriate to the age range for which he writes without ever feeling dumbed down. His descriptions are full and evocative, instantly conjuring up arid deserts or crowded city streets. The story is full of adventure but is sufficiently grounded in reality to be believable. I would definitely recommend this book for children of eight and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars My teacher read it to us at school, and I had to go and buy it!, 13 Jan 2011
Ms. C. V. Murphy (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Gold (Paperback)
I remember when I was in Primary school about 8 years ago. At the end of class our teacher read us a book, and this was one of them. My dad's family is Irish, so I thought it would be a good book. I was so impressed by it, that I begged my dad to buy it for me, and he did. I remember being so excited when I saw it and I read it straight away. I wasn't a bookworm like I am now; I actually hated reading, but this book kept my attention.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling book ideal for daily reading. Very good all over, 29 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Twist of Gold (Paperback)
When Ireland has the plague, Annie and Sean O'Brien Emigrate to America to search for their father, who went there about a year before to search for farming land. They meet many interesting friends along the way. The only treasurable item that they have left is a golden necklace, a TWIST OF GOLD . . . I would highly recommend this book to any child who is searching for a novel to read in their spare time.
Adam Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for children, 3 July 2001
This review is from: Twist of Gold (Paperback)
I read this book about 7 years ago and have never forgotten it. The story line is fantastic, and is a moving adventure. I truly believe that this story will stay in the heart of any child that reads it, as it has for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goldy, 9 Feb 2007
Twist of Gold By Michael Morpurgo

Have you ever been on an adventure?

Twist of Gold is an exciting book of the last two O'Brien children Sean and Annie who have to leave their dying Mother for America. Will they ever find their Father?

Will is my favourite character because he helps Sean and Annie by giving them food. I also like Will because he buys them tickets to go to America.

I like the bit when they get reunited with their Mother and Father because it's a happy ending and it makes me feel happy.

I certainly would recommend it to children aged 8 to 13 and adults.

( By Thea Aged 9 )

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 July 2014
Mrs. N. Kay - See all my reviews
My 8year old grandson says this book is brilliant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Twist of Gold
Twist of Gold by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 5 Feb 2007)
5.59