4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and exciting
Published on 20 Dec 2009 by Lincs Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice story
I enjoyed this story and found the setting in world war two France interesting. The characters were believable and the story kept me interested til the end, but I wasn't gripped!
Published 17 months ago by evonwise

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and exciting, 20 Dec 2009
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Paperback)
Yet another cracker from Michael Morpurgo - he can do no wrong in my eyes. Set in a small farming village in the mountains on the border of France and Spain. The village has recently been occupied by German soldiers and all the villagers are under a strict curfew. Jo's father has been away, held as a prisoner of war for the last four years and Jo lives with his mother, siblings and grandfather.
Whilst out herding the sheep Jo stumbles across a big secret - an old Widow just outside the village is harbouring her Jewish son in law and a group of young Jewish children. The aim is to get them over the border to Spain, and safety.

Michael Morpurgo's characters are wonderfully written, although he does not hide the facts of the horrors of war time, he does manage to make the reader aware that although the Germans are the enemy, they too are human with their own tragedies in life.
This is an excellent story, both educational and exciting too.

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly recommended, 31 May 2010
Anne Anstruther (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Paperback)
A book to help understand the problems of those who lived through the war - from both sides. This book has it all - intrigue, tension, adventure, thoughtfulness, charity. Read it before you hand it on to the person you bought it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars a thrilling and moving story of courage in World War Two, 31 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this exciting and moving book about a boy who becomes involved with the French resistance and helps young Jewish children escape over the mountains to Spain. It is a story of courage, friendship and strength and has a sad and happy ending. It is a story to remember and read time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 7 Mar 2010
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Paperback)
My kids loved it. They love every book he's written. My son was inspired to write stories after reading books by this author

4.0 out of 5 stars good present, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Paperback)
I bought this with other Michael Morpurgo books as presents for boys between 11 and 13.
Very pleased with them all they make excellent reading even for adults

4.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for Anya, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Paperback)
I got this book out at the library and thought it looked quite interesting. I have read quite a few books by Michael Morpurgo and have enjoyed most of them. I was gripped right till the end with the book, it was very well written and I really felt how the characters must be feeling. My favourite character was Hubert, who seemed very nice and a bit like Big Joe in Morpurgo's book Private, Peaceful. I enjoyed the book but I was very disappointed with the ending. I really thought more should've happened at the end and I was very upset about what happened to Hubert. But overall the book was very good!

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Kindle Edition)
all very good products. Service & delivery always reliable. I like all the products I have purchased from Amazon. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Kindle Edition)
Good back the ending wasn't sudden but it. just ended in to words. overall good book
4.9 out of five

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Kindle Edition)
My daughter reads this author all the time and I made the effort to get one and read it, absolutely loved it. Have read war horse and Shadow before and loved them too!! Will read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for Anya, 29 April 2014
Ms. E. Saunders (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting for Anya (Kindle Edition)
I became immediately interested in this book just by looking at the title, as my name is Anya (my mum is ESaunders)! This is a very moving book, and quite realistic. I recommend it, along with Private Peaceful.

Waiting for Anya
Waiting for Anya by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 5 Feb 2007)
5.99