5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
This is great!
Our 5 year loves it. It is beautifully written, almost poetic in places. Alan Bennett reads it beautifully too. The stories may be old fashioned compared to modern offerings but our boy sits silently in the car listening intently - this is a godsend on longer car journeys. It is so well written that it is a pleasure for us to listen to also. Highly...
Published on 8 Jan. 2010 by C. Crossman

1.0 out of 5 stars A classic deserves better treatment.
There are serious formatting problems with this edition. Words have been run together and, although you can make out what they are, it ruins the reading experience. It might not have been too bad if it was just the occasional word, but it's several a paragraph, or even a sentence. It makes the book unreadable.
I'm afraid it's another example, all too common on...
Published on 12 Mar. 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Story for Children, 25 April 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I purchased this story to read to my young grandson. The book brought back many wonderful memories of my childhood and the magical world the story gives to a young child hearing it for the first time.

Until I started to read to my grandson I had forgotten what a wonderful story it is, far surpassing most of the modern tales for children. It still feels as fresh as the day it was written and is not dated at all.

For some reason, I don't know why children seem to be able to relate to stories about animals rather than about human beings, this is reflected in the number of programmes on children's television about animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars totally engaging, 26 Mar. 2003
'The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home...'
I don't know the first lines of many books off by heart, but TWITW is such an immediate and engaging tale that there's no choice other than to fall neatly in step with Mole, Ratty, Badger and Toad straight away, and to stay there, if you're lucky for the rest of your life. I first read this when I was 7 or 8 and have revisited it many many times. To call it a children's book (and it's the greatest of all children's books) is to do it a massive disservice, for it is much much more than that.
I envy anyone picking it up for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully illustrated classic., 16 May 2008
A. Thorpe "crossan8" (Cheadle Cheshire.) - See all my reviews
If I could give it 10 stars I would,its the most brilliantly illustrated version of the 100 year old classic,complete and unabridged.It will be a collectors item.Beautiful,stunning,breathtaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wind in the Willows, 27 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Wind in the Willows (Hardcover)
I am a mature adult but still love to read good childrens books. This particular edition of the book is beautifully illustrated by Roger Ingpen and each picture adds such warmth to the text and brings the characters to life. The timeless stories and the escapades that the creatures get up to never fail to amuse.
I love the language of yesterday and the vocabulary is evocative of a time gone by. I would certainly recommend this edition of the book to young and old alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Publication, 10 Aug. 2010
Michael F. Freer - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Of all the publications of this classic work I like this the best. The book is of a size that is comfortable to handle and the hard cover, with pasted on Rackham print, oozes quality. With Rackham sketches to head each chapter and twelve colour prints, the theme for the book is complete. At the bargain price on offer this is surely a must for anyone, young or old, who wants a copy of Kenneth Grahame's enchanting masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still One of the Best Children's Stories, 25 Mar. 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wind-in-the-Willows Slipcased (Hardcover)
I purchased this book to read to my young grandson (4 years old). The book brought back many wonderful memories of my childhood and the magical world the story gives to a young child hearing it for the first time.

Whether it be paper back or hard back with illustrations get the children in your family a copy of Wind in the Willows, I guarantee they will love it. This is quite an expensive volume (but a terrific price on Amazon at the moment). It is worth it for the beautiful illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars something to keep, 2 Nov. 2009
B. Wood (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wind in the Willows (Hardcover)
A really good edition of a well loved classic. I bought this to read to my daughter when she's a little older. Its one of those books everyone should have on their shelf and this special edition makes it even more worthwhile. Also pleased to see that there are other books in the same Edition series, so i may get some more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and curiously undated, 3 April 2005
A moral and illuminating tale spun around the lives of Rat, Mole, Badger and Toad of Toad Hall in timeless countryside.
Mole bravely sets out first and feels that his happiness is complete when, while meandering aimless and joyfully along on a bright spring day, he claps his eyes on a full-fledged river for the first time in his life. There, he meets Rat and learns that "there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." They visit Toad -him of "the finest house on the whole river or anywhere else for that matter"- and hit the open road in horse-and-cart where they meet with an accident which cuts short their adventure and introduces the easily entranced Toad to his latest obsession and eventual downfall: the motor-car. The group of friends is eventually completed by Mr.Badger whose house is found just when there is a dire need. He reveals his character as a wise and kindly listener to woes and worries, nodding gravely at intervals, never seeming surprised or shocked at anything: an all-round agreeable fellow.
Through the following seasons, all friends involve themselves in the events and ordinary affairs of those around them, eventually steering Toad into an altogether more wholesome direction and managing another miraculous rescue as well. In the latter, the Horned God gets a look in as a benevolent helper who works his magic and then sees to all but its effects being forgotten, blending back into the subtle spiritual tapestry. Beautiful and curiously undated, this is a fine read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 23 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I read this book for the first time as an adult, and can clearly see lessons that I still need to learn!
The adventures of Rat, Mole, Toad, and Badger are timeless. They have spoken to young and old for decades, as they continue to speak to me. I was told by a man studying to be a pastor that during his internship, his mentor required that he read this book -- it has more to say about how to deal with relational conflicts and differing personalities than perhaps any other!
Aside from the lessons to be learned here, however, the stories themselves are simply charming! The characters are vivid and lovable -- despite their quirks and foibles. I'm delighted to have discovered these stories -- even if it was a little later in life than most.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC VERSION, 28 Nov. 2007
Although more a playscript rather than word for word from the book - it had my children giggling in the car listening to it and keeps them quiet no matter how many times they listen to it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

Wind-in-the-Willows Slipcased
Wind-in-the-Willows Slipcased by Kenneth Grahame (Hardcover - 2 Oct. 2006)