4.7 out of 5 stars1,353
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 January 2009
My 11 year old daughter is a big fan of the author & thoroughly enjoying this book. Highly recommended author for children who enjoy a mature storyline written in a style that grips the young mind.
on 3 June 2012
I felt that war hose was well written and the characters were really well developed especially Joey, from the begining i could tell that this would be a great book as the plot had many twists and turns and the storyline was very easy to follow and understand.

The book is about a horse called Joey who ends up being separated from his friend Albert and is forced into war as a cavalry horse so i would recommend it to all horse lovers.
on 9 May 2014
This book was bought to share with my class of 9 year olds. It is a well written story but I would expect nothing less from Michael Morpurgo.
on 8 October 2013
Excellent, moving and very enjoyable -
would suit all ages and not just animal lovers! The characters were very easy to get to know
on 16 July 2012
This is an amazing book. Both myself and my husband read this book within 2.5 hours and couldn't help but have tears in our eyes. I would recommend this book as a must read for adults.
on 10 March 2012
the book War Horse is very evocative of its time, the horrors of war and recounts the deeds other heroes, the horses without whom neither 'side' could mount a campaign, and the men who looked after them. well written of course in Morpurgo's inimitable style, and although the film was very good (technically at least) the book is better. a television programme depicting the life and exploits of a 1st world war warhorse and his officer showed how well researched and written the books is
on 21 April 2012
This is a must read for any child or parent. I'm 42 and this was one of the best reading experiences I've ever had, I cant recommend it highly enough. A beautifully written piece and emotional journey. Havent seen the play or the film and wondered what all the fuss was about and decided I should experience the original story first and I'm so glad I did. Please read it but dont make my mistake and read the end on a packed commuter train!
on 5 December 2012
I bought this as a xmas gift for a friend who loves to read war books. With this book I thought it would be a different spin on the normal war books. This arrived really quick.
on 17 March 2012
I read this book before going to see the film to get an idea of what i was going to let myself in for! As its a children's book I thought it would be fine. It is a lovely book, really enjoyed it and very moving. As a horse owner I found myself blubbing rather a lot! It is very well written and uses very powerful, descriptive language. It gave you a real sense of what those poor soilders went through. A very good read and well recommended. I have now seen the film and was prepared but still cried!
on 13 May 2011
Excellent story from Michael Morpurgo. I know the area of Devon well having lived in Iddesleigh for nearly 5 years. Also knew some of the people he researched the story with.