4.0 out of 5 stars The Animals of Farthing Wood
Published on 2 April 2008 by David Brookes

3.0 out of 5 stars I love stories about animals
I found the stories far less interesting than Wind in the Willows. There wasn't much plot and what there was didn't hang together too well. I love stories about animals, but these aren't the best ones.
Published 9 days ago by Ms N. Linden

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Animals of Farthing Wood, 2 April 2008
This review is from: The Animals of Farthing Wood (Paperback)
When I was a young reader, this book and its sequels were one of the first I picked up. I loved the animated series and jumped right into the novels. If you've seen the series you will notice several differences, most notably the gender changes of some of the characters; in the book the main cast is almost exclusively male, and the series balanced things out a bit. The sequels were treated very differently on television, but the original series treats the novel with the care and grace it deserves.

The writing is difficult to review not because of flaws or unusual style, but because of its simplicity. Dann works hard to maintain a perfect clarity throughout, in terms of the well-constructed characters and the simple yet thoroughly engaging plot. It's an easy read and one the kids will truly adore, and is a wonderfully nostalgic read for myself and many others. If you are an adult and unfamiliar with the series though, you may not find the substance you were looking for in this first book, but you will most likely enjoy the next few instalments in the series.

Concisely planned and well thought out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for my 8 year old niece, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Animals of Farthing Wood (Paperback)
This was a favourite book of mine when I was a little girl so I bought this for my niece for her eigth birthday a few months ago. She loves the animal adventures just as much as I did which is lovely to see. This is the first in the Colin Dann series for the Animals of Farthing Wood and the sequels are also a good read. My niece is already looking forward to the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 13 April 2013
It's the third time I've read this book, I thinks it's brilliant from start to finish. A heart warming story of friendship

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than just another Animal Journey, 3 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Animals of Farthing Wood (Paperback)
This book is much more than just another group of disparate & desperate creatures on a journey or quest. I have found it to be a winner with classes of children aged from 7 to 10. They enjoyed charting the journey on a map that was gradually compiled and this became the centrepiece of a major display in two quite different schools. This is the book that spawned 6 sequels and one prequel.
The story does not have the depth of Watership Down, the adult themes of Duncton Wood or the tweeness of Peter Rabbit or Little Grey Rabbit but it has an appeal that makes it a rattling good read. Presumably Colin Dann, whose first book this was, did not anticipate its success as the animals were given the names of their species such as Fox which is rather limiting and does not help the reader to engage with the characters as much as in the later books when, through necessity, the animals have personalised nomenclatures such as Bold & Sinuous.
There are some classic moments such as in a back garden swimming pool and crossing a motorway.
Colin Dann wrote 20 books altogether before he retired but none are currently in print and his last book appeared in 2002. All but one of his stories - " A Legacy of Ghosts" - was an animal story but this was the first, the best known and easily the most successful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is brilliant - for kids and adults alike, 11 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
This novel and its sequels gripped me from the off. It is very well written. It tells the familiar story of animals being uprooted by an encroaching housing development and their journey to find their new home, a nature reserve. The animals are individuals, and their nature and demeanour are brought to the reader's attention in an excellent manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great novel, 9 Jun. 2005
Jo King (A place full of happiness.) - See all my reviews
I as a child, have read the entire collection of "the animals of farthing wood" and found that the first one was very exciting. All the characters are young and full of energy, but as more stories carry on, they have many generations of babies. This is a great adventure about Man destroying animals homes and "Toad"
leading the pack into"white deer park". Many exciting, and sad things happen in the story, and it definitly is one of my top 10 books,
All round the story you'll find something you'll enjoy, so go on read it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting story though quite moving, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Animals of Farthing Wood (Paperback)
My 7 year old son has really liked this book being read to him. The words are perhaps a little difficult for him at his age (even I had difficulty with one or two old fashioned words). But it has not stopped him enjoying the story of the animals and their struggle for survival.

A word of warning though: Not all the animals make it, and some of them have quite brutal deaths.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Animals of Farthing Wood by Colin Dann, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Animals of Farthing Wood (Paperback)
forced out of their ancestral home by bulldozers
these small, cutest of animals assemble & journey to White Deer Park
feeling sad to have left Farthing Wood destroyed by monsters
they make an oath to protect each other from anything dark

I first read this book when I was a child, I loved the little animals with their different personalities
& I was inconsolably upset when the humans destroyed Farthing Wood.
I also remember being most moved by Vixen's character.

Currently, I live near to Woods & wonder if my choice of abode, stems from my early enjoyment of Colin Dann's book.

After having re-read it again now as a writer, I pondered throughout, on what may have influenced Colin
to take us on his adventure deep into nature.

I have based my first twin rabbit series in the Woods & I hope to bring as much magic to
children's bedtime reading as Colin did for me, with his delightfully written treasure.

Thank you Colin!

5.0 out of 5 stars story for all agesningv, 8 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Animals of Farthing Wood (Paperback)
What can one say about a most absorbing and entertaining story for all ages.Highly recommended and lovingly crafted with agreat tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Passing on a favourite book, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Animals of Farthing Wood (Paperback)
I had such fond memories of this from my own childhood that I could not wait for my own daughter to read it. Surprised with it as a present she devoured it in the space of 3 days (she is just 8 years old) and now has declared it is the best book she has ever read - what more can you say! Wonderful characters, a great adventure and some 'mild peril' (as the films would say) make it a gripping read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Animals of Farthing Wood
The Animals of Farthing Wood by Colin Dann (Paperback - 5 Jun. 2006)