on 21 January 2012
I had to walk into town to find out what I really wanted to know about this book,is the text the authentic version from the original stories? YES, does it have the original pictures? YES but roughly two thirds of original size, is the paper of good quality? YES, is the book small as one reviewer mentioned? NO it is roughly eleven inches x eight inches x one & a half inches & is pleasingly heavy.
This purchase is for myself (63) hurry up please Mr Postman.
on 21 January 2009
I have just purchased this book as a birthday present for my son. He loves Thomas and much prefers watching the classic episodes than the new ones.

I had a look through this book when it arrived and was suddenly whisked back 20 years down memory lane to the days when I loved Thomas and realised, these stories are timeless. I loved them, my son loves them and, unless he draws all over this book, his children will love them too.

The lovely, kindly tone in which they're written will sooth your child (or amuse them if, like me you like to read them in a Ringo Starr voice!) and if you yourself were a Thomas fan in your youth, you'll enjoy reading them again and again and probably marvel at how cheeky Thomas, fussy Henry, arrogant Gordon and obnoxious James are loved so much by so many.

It's also nice to read your children a book that credits them with a little more intelligence than a lot of books do today and employs subtlety in its morals rather than ramming them down kids' throats.
on 2 January 2015
This is a must for grown-ups! I bought this as a humorous Christmas present for my son as he is 25 years old, and received much teasing from friends who knew I'd bought it for him. However when he opened it on Christmas morning we were so surprised at the weight and the sheer quality of the book. The contents including the first story written before Thomas the tank Engine, letters from Rev W.V Awdry to his son and a map of the Isle of Sodor. This has become a much loved Christmas present and a keepsake to be handed down to the next generation. My son said that he looks forward to the day when he will read it to his children and it will be kept out of reach in safe keeping. As for the grown men who teased me for ordering it - they now want their own copy!!
on 18 July 2015
My husband bought this for my son and has been reading it to him before bedtime for a few months. The book is well made and the illustrations are lovely. We were disappointed to find that some pages were missing, our copy skips from page 320 to page 329, however we only noticed when they had reached that page after reading nearly the whole book. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this? It's too late to send it back. Such a shame, the book is lovely though.
on 9 December 2015
Bought this to show my Thomas obsessed little nephew the REAL Thomas. The TV show is ok, but wrong in so many ways. I have the original little books, including some first editions, but I'm not going to let a two and a half year old flick through those, but this I can read to him, and it has the benefit of having all the pictures digitally restored. A lovely volume, which my nephew will get. Eventually...
on 6 June 2013
While this is a good book taking all 26 of the Rev. W. Awdry's books which are all great it is not a complete collection as volumes 27-40 (At time of print) now 42 are not included.
on 3 September 2012
Having been a fan as a child I decided to buy this book for my daughter, who was a Thomas fan after spending time with a childs son who is heavily into Thomas. She likes the stories and the short format makes for easy bedtime stories. Enjoyed it so much bought another as a present for a friends child.
on 2 January 2014
For a boy aged 2 who can't seem to get enough of Thomas the Tank Engine at the moment so this is perfect for his mother to read to him at night. Didn't actually manage to look inside as was for a Christmas present but i'm sure it'll do the job perfectly!
on 16 April 2014
This is a beautiful book containing all the original Thomas stories. I started reading this to my son when he turned 3 and despite the stories having more text than he is used to, he still enjoys them. A really lovely and special book.
on 3 January 2015
A book to be read to our grandchild at present until he is able to read it himself. Something to treasure & keep. The folder did have a slight dent in a corner, but it had not damaged the book itself, thank goodness.