5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Present in the World
Published on 25 Nov. 2010 by MrsMac3

3.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Book
Appropriate, relevant and interesting for a boy living in France, near the WWI sites. The story of the Christmas Peace is always one of interest. It shows that the ordinary Joe Soap on either side of political arguments have more in common than they would originally think.
Published on 3 Jan. 2013 by Brendan J Horan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Present in the World, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my 8 year old after reading the reviews in an attempt to encourage him to read something other than his lego magazine, he has just finished reading it to his Dad and its been a real hit. My son has spent the last 10 minutes telling me the story in great detail and my usually stoical (and thrifty) husband was moved enough to suggest I order more books by this author... unheard of!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and moving, 26 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
I bought this for my 7 year old for christmas based on the great reviews. We have just read it together and I was surprised by how much it moved me. It is wonderfully written and pulls you straight into the story from the first page and you feel an empathy and compassion for the characters you have barely got to know. This book should be on the curriculum in all schools to truly educate about the human side of war. My daughter probably missed some of the subtleties and themes given her age but I know it will be one we will revisit and she will get more out of as she gets older. That said her parting words were "why can't people just play football instead of fighting" - from the mouth of babes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, very brilliant, 20 Jun. 2005
Carol Scott (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
I borrowed this picture book for the local library for my youngest child, without really looking at it. When I read it I was absolutely blown away and ordered it from Amazon the same day. Michael Foreman's illustrations and Michael Murpurgo's story work extremely well together to draw you into the book, involving you in the characters and their lives. The ending illustration left me with goosebumps and a feeling of joy for the characters involved. Perhaps my teenage daughter's reaction best sums up this book: "WOW!"

5.0 out of 5 stars still the most moving book ever, 9 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
My children enjoyed it, My eldest grandchild hears it on the simplest of levels and my Yr 5 class enjoy it, feel it and discuss it. And me.... every time I read it it moves me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant simplicity... and simply brilliant!, 14 Oct. 2004
John Goddard (Saffron Walden, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
This is what this author, the current children's laureate, does best. He has taken a familiar story - in this case Christmas Day in the trenches of 1914 - and given it a contemporary twist which delivers poignance and pathos. It all begins when an old letter is discovered in an antique desk...
If you already know Morpurgo's work then you won't be disappointed. And if you don't yet know his writings, which run to over 100 published books, then this little gem is as good a place as any to begin.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Xmas Story with a moving twist, 18 Jan. 2011
A. J. Naqvi (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
I saw this story in a newspaper a few years ago but skipped it because of the dense copy and lack of pictures. A big mistake as in a picture book format the story really works. It's ideal for kids of 8-9 and above and is set during the Xmas day truce in WWI.

It's a lovely under-stated story that captures the movement of time as it flows back and forth between the events of almost a 100 years ago and the legacy left today. More importantly it states how love keeps people going even in our last days of life. It isn't a depressing story at all - but it does make you think in the midst of all the festive excesses.

We read the story to our three on Xmas Eve and they all enjoyed it (apart fom the three year old!) and it bought gh a different perspective on Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful heart-warming story, 14 Dec. 2008
Val R (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book. It only takes about 5 minutes to read, but as with any of Michael Morpurgo's books, every word counts. The ending had me in tears - very moving. I recommend this book to anyone who has a heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
This book is just beautiful - the illustrations further enhance a very touching story. Read this to my class at school and it had them mesmorised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Christmas Present, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
A book about war that is written in a way that children can understand. Bought for my grandson as his father enjoys reading about war and watching documentaries about war. I think they will both enjoy reading this book together

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Present in the World, 14 Oct. 2009
ld115 (Birmingham, West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Christmas Present in the World (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book, present shaped and present sized, perfectly representing the title and message of the story. A typical Michael Morpurgo book in style and quality, quite brilliant. The illustrations are stunning in their own right and the text portrays the precious nature of history, both in terms of the whole world and as individuals.

The Best Christmas Present in the World
The Best Christmas Present in the World by Michael Morpurgo (Hardcover - 26 Sept. 2013)