5.0 out of 5 stars Simple lovely

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Very slightly soiled/faded cover
Published 6 months ago by celiajune

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple lovely, 7 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh - Classic Editions) (Paperback)
I have just brought Milne's exquisite book for my daughter's sixth birthday as my father did for me and his father for him and she has already fallen in love with King John, the Good and Bad Bears and Shepherd's ever delightful illustrations and enjoys reading the classic poems to her array of bedtime toys as much as hearing them herself. These are not just cutes rhymes for those too young to have learnt discernment, Milne is a genius when it comes to choice of topic - as appealing to children now as it was four generations ago - and of using the essential 3R's of any classic for young children: repetition, rhythm and rhyme.
That other essential element required to male a child's book "classic" - that adults must enjoy reading it themselves - is also present; it was lovely to hear again the old favourites and to see the pleasure I felt at six reflected in the face of my own offspring. This book is a must for any family's bookshelf, as is its 'prequel' "When We Were Very Young". Make sure you but the hardback though, by the time my two younger brothers had passed six years, my own paperback had disintegrated with overuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for all the family, 19 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
Looking for a bedtime book for your children? Then dont look any more, this poem book is perfect. Its jammed packed with poems that will make you laugh and cry. The illustrations are wonderful, giving each poem that extra something specail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Memories for Your Children, 26 Sept. 2003
I am now 51 years old and still remember many of these wonderful children's poems, despite not having read these book now for almost 20 years.
If you want your children to have the sort of memories they will cherish and the sort of children's poems that they will learn by heart and repeat over to their children and their grandchildren, then this book and its sister volume "When We Were Very Young" are a must.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic collection of children's poetry., 22 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
I first received this book when I turned 6. I bought it again for my daughter's 6th birthday this year. The poetry is timeless and talks about the simple concerns of the young. I believe it is the best introduction to poetry for young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any family bookcase, 21 Sept. 2005
I have just brought Milne's exquisite book for my daughter's sixth birthday as my father did for me and his father for him and she has already fallen in love with King John, the Good and Bad Bears and Shepherd's ever delightful illustrations and enjoys reading the classic poems to her array of bedtime toys as much as hearing them herself. These are not just cutesie rhymes for those too young to have learnt discernment, Milne is a genius when it comes to choice of topic - as appealing to children now as it was four generations ago - and of using the essential 3R's of any classic for young children: repetition, rhythm and rhyme.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feel-Good Book for adults and Kids alike, 30 July 2005
By A Customer
I love this book (and "When we were very Young") and so do my children. My two-year-old recites some of the poems with me and loves the sounds of the words (especially the mouse with the "woffelly nose"!) and on our latest trip to the zoo my four-year-old insisted she saw a "Wallaboo"! You may pick them up because Winnie-the-Pooh is featured and find them to be unputdownable because of the many other characters. These books are a must on the bookshelves of anyone who enjoys childrens poetry and are almost sure to give any child a lasting love of words!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely old fashioned book, a perfect gift, 19 Feb. 2010
S. Morton "PinkAndSparkly" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I wanted a good quality hard backed copy of Now We are Six for a reading at a family wedding. This edition didn't disappoint. The poems themselves are timeless, perfect for reading aloud. The book has a lovely, old fashioned feel with Ernest Shepard's illustrations on nice weighty pages. It even has a ribbon page marker - a nice touch. This book will withstand many years of enjoyable reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely quality book, 13 Mar. 2014
Fairy Godmother (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was given this for my sixth birthday - erm about 50 years ago! I dug it out a while ago to read some to our little boy. He has now just turned six and I reminded him there was a book called 'Now We are Six'. He asked if we could read it (isn't it lovely when they start reading properly?!) I couldn't find it anywhere, so decided he should have his own copy now he is Six. This copy is really lovely - hard back, quality, with a thick, slightly glossed paper cover, and all the original illustrations in colour. It isn't that cheap but worth it. I'm not sure, in this age of Lego Star Wars, Nintendo and Super Mario - whether he will relate to a lot of it and might find some a bit boring and twee - but I'm loving it and so is my Partner! We have only read Alexander Beetle so far and the reaction was - mildly interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now we are Six, 31 Oct. 2010
Now we are Six was read to me by my mother and I adored it, especially the verse about "King John was not a good man". When my children were young I read it to them and they also loved it. The daughter of friends of mine just turned six recently so I ordered the book for her. I read parts of the book to her every so often, especially at bedtime getting into the characters, she by her reaction reminds me of the pleasure I got when having it read to me and when I used to read it to my own children. A book to be treasured and read for all thoes who have just turned six and for many years after that.

5.0 out of 5 stars What else do you give to a 6 year old??, 3 Mar. 2013
I was "researching" appropriate books for my godson, as it had been a while since I walked hand in hand with kids that young. One of the books I bought for him was just wrong and I gave to his older sister which she liked. What do I want to read to him? Then the light dawned.... it is always the classics. I quite enjoyed that when he turned 6 I was 66. The illustrations in this edition, I am happy to say are the originals, not disney-ized, and the quality of the book production is also classic and lovely. A book to pass on to another 6 year old someday, another generation.

Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh - Classic Editions)
Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh - Classic Editions) by A. A. Milne (Paperback - 6 May 2013)