on 23 June 2011
There are two versions of this book = a brightly coloured large text picture book aimed at younger readers, and an illustrated paperback aimed at older readers. I'm reviewing it in the second format, as at almost eight years old my daughter gets more enjoyment out of more challenging reads .
The paperback has three or four paragraphs of text per page, in a comfortably large prince, and has many lovely pencil drawn illustrations to help the story along. I must say the illustrations are beautifully done - the owls in particular look very realistic, with each feature and feather displayed well . I love these drawings - they help to break up the text whilst reading, without being childish, and they make the book seem quite grown up.

The story itself is really based around a simple theme - things that are strange to us are often scary, but we shouldn't knock something until we're given it a try . I feel this is a pretty important message to teach young children, and it is very relevant to my own daughter, who has a deep suspicion of any food she does not recognise. Reading this book with her has helped her to understand that if she tries something new, and gives it a fair chance, she might enjoy it, and has actually really helped make meal times less fussy as a result.
The story itself is fun and easy to read . Apart from Plop, there aren't too many characters, but each is important in their own way, and helps to teach Plop about some of the things that happen in the dark. Each person has a unique perspective - a little boy things the dark is exciting, because you can only see fireworks in the dark, whilst a little old lady thinks it is kind because it hides her wrinkles and the shabbiness of her furniture. It seems really well thought out, and there is plenty of warmth and humour in the tale, as well as many subtle little instructions for children about, for example, the importance of using your manners, and the fact that boasting isn't very nice. Despite managing to sneak in all these little lessons, the book isn't dull and preachy at all . It's a fun and interesting read with a well thought out storyline, and some wonderfully drawn illustrations .

Overall, it's a fab little book - I would recommend it to anyone who has a child who is afraid of the dark, or a child who needs to give things more of a chance before dismissing them .
on 25 June 2012
(written by a class of 29, 6-7 yr olds)
The owl who was afraid of the dark is a fab book for children because it is ideal for children who are afraid of the dark and eventually will lead them to liking it.
It is a book with a repeating pattern than we have all enjoyed reading.

As a class teacher, i used this book to build up a series of lessons over the week. The children asked each day if we were finising the book, to find out what happened at the end. By the end the children were pleased that the owl had got over his fear of the dark.
on 8 November 2000
This book has captivated children of all ages for many years. These beautiful illustrations add depth and meaning to Jill Tomlinson's story, giving the reader the chance to imagine the characters in action.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 December 2015
This is an enchanting book for younger readers. It is an ideal book for children who are just progressing from the bright picture books onto "chapter books". It isn't overly long with one or two chapters being the ideal length for a bedtime read.
This is the story of Plop a baby owl who i afraid of the dark. This is, of coure, rather on the unfortunate side for an owl. Instead of going out hunting with his parents he wants to stay at home in the nest with one of them while the other goes out hunting. Plop prefers to be awake during the day whilst his parents are asleep. To keep him quiet his parents send him off to discuss his fear of the dark with a variety of people & animals. Each discussion takes up a chapter. The discussions are quite similar in style replicating the comforting style of picture books where a similar event happens over & over again.
This book also raises some important issues that may worry children thus perhaps sparking off a conversation with an available adult. Fear of the dark & being alone is the obvious one. However there is also the whole issue about growing up & overcoming fears as well as finding new things to like. All these can be worries for children so this book may help children to discuss these things.
This is an enjoyable little book in a traditional style which I think will appeal to growing youngsters & adults alike.
on 27 December 2014
I absolutely loved this book as a child, and couldn't wait to share it with my children. I had been disappointed so far to only find a shortened picture book version of it, but this is a reissue of the original text, albeit with new illustrations. Amazon seem to have mixed the reviews for both this new reissue and the shortened (less good) version. Rest assured, this is the proper one! My 7 year-old twins find it just as funny and entertaining as I did.
on 15 December 2008
I've loved this book since I was little. It's a perfect bedtime story book for young children, perhaps more so if the name of the owl invited giggles! I was talking about it with my boyfriend only the other day and fell about laughing at the fact that the Owl is called Plop. Infantile humour aside I'm am so glad it's still in print. I know what I'll be asking for this Christmas.
on 30 August 2013
Using a Google Nexus 10:

The audio did not work. The pages were poor, tiny pictures with text misaligned.

It looks like someone had done a bad a scan of the book. My 4yr old daughter was dissapointed as was I for shelling out money for something half cut.

Jill Tomlinson, how could you let this be released??
on 26 November 2010
this is a dear little book!! i loved it when i was a little girl and my girls loved it too. its an endearing tale that makes you look at the dark from a different and friendly perspective-and plop is a delightful little owlet with character.
this review is for the full story edition of the owl who was afraid of the dark!!!
on 10 July 2006
This book was one of my favourite books when I was a child now 20 years on it is the only one of the childrens books I read that still holds a special place in my heart, now with a 3 year old son of my own I am determined to get a copy for him as I am sure that he will love it just as much as I did and still do.
on 22 June 2012
There is no question that this is certainly abridged - and it is a great shame that the website description does not make this clearer - as people's understandable disappointment is causing what is otherwise a good book to be down-rated.

Our little one (2 or maybe 2.5 when it was bought), loved this book and it is readable in one go (where the original certainly would not be!). The illustrations are magnificent, and the warmth and gentle humour (Plop steadily getting better at landing, during his nocturnal sojourns for example) are both there. We will certainly buy the child the proper book when she is older, but for now, the beautiful colour pictures and simple (but not too simple) prose are perfect. (nb. I cannot say we have used the CD, so I make no comment on that.)