4.0 out of 5 stars Good pictures, the story not as I remember.
Published on 24 Sep 2008 by Mrs. J. Oliver

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT clearly described - hugely abridged!
The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark is a wonderful book - in its original form. It makes a wonderful transition between picture books and chapter books: lots going on, not scary, plenty of reasons to keep going.

But this - well, first of all the recording is Bill Oddie not the wonderful Maureen Lipman (Not the same thing at all)

And second, it's...
Published on 23 Nov 2011 by readerofbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pictures, the story not as I remember., 24 Sep 2008
Mrs. J. Oliver (UK) - See all my reviews
This book has beautiful illustrations and my son loves it. The story is a good one for children who are a bit worried about the dark. However I bought this thinking it would be the same as the one I read as a child, but with nicer illustrations. Unfortunately the story itself seems to have lost some of the more humourous aspects that I remember, like Plop the owl resembling a Catherine wheel when he tumbled out of a tree and his incessant "what's next" at feeding time...gone. I'm thinking about buying the old copy to read (mine is worn out) and showing the pictures from the new book to my son.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best bedtime storybook ever written, 29 Jun 2004
Chrestomanci (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark (Jill Tomlinson's Favourite Animal Tales) (Paperback)
If you know a little someone who is afraid of the dark, then this book will cure them in one week ... guaranteed!
The story is about a young barn owl called Plop, who has the same problem. The plot is divided into seven little chapters (read one per night until cured). Each one is a satisfying tale in which Plop learns something new about the dark each night: dark is exciting, dark is kind, dark is fun, dark is necessary, dark is fascinating, dark is wonderful ... and dark is beautiful. Plop isn't convinced immediately, but by the seventh night he's looking at the dark through new eyes!
This is without doubt the most perfect bedtime story book ever written. It has been loved by children for generations - and will doubtless continue to be a firm favourite!

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT clearly described - hugely abridged!, 23 Nov 2011

And second, it's abridged into a 16 page picture book format, and many of those pages are pictures, not words. A whole chapter is condensed into a single page. Which is a particular problem with this book, because frankly the story is a bit weedy (baby owl scared of dark; finds out more; decides he likes it), and what makes it is the way in which it's told.

DON'T BUY THE BUNDLED VERSION!!! Buy the original unabridged book and the CD and then you won't be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Owl who was afraid of the dark, 29 Jan 2009
Mrs. J. Ludlow (UK) - See all my reviews
I had listened to Maureen Lippman reading this book and had given the tape to my grandchildren because I thought it was so wonderful. When I saw the book available, I thought I would buy several copies to give to friends. Fortunately I only bought the one. It is not the whole story - chunks have been omitted, most of the story is not there. So very disappointing and I still have my copy, it isn't, as far as I am concerned, worth giving to anybody. I believe a good story is a good story and that it should stand on its own merit. I never read condensed books; if a story is worth reading, it is all worth reading. Sadly, this one, foreshortened as it is, is not worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 17 Feb 2009
J. Petty (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book as a child and was so pleased to see it on here that I bought it as a gift for my friend's daughter. It turns out she has had it read to her at school but I have a feeling it will now become a family favourite too.

It's a really lovely story about a baby owl who is scared of the dark but through meeting various people learns to overcome his fears. I think my favourite thing about this book as a child though was the fact that the owl is called Plop! Lovely to read aloud at bedtime and a lovely book for early readers to gain confidence with.

Having read a couple of other reviews on here, I'd definitely recommend checking you have the original 'unabridged' version, especially if you've read it yourself as a child as I would certainly have missed some of my favourite bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many fond memories, 12 Nov 2006
Recently, a very close friend of mine who went to school with me reminded me of this book. Our year two teacher had read it to us when we were younger. It must have been my favourite book of the time.

It is about a little owl who is too afraid to venture out of his nest at night. Along his epic journey to get over his fear, he meets all kinds of children who help him.

It is a wonderful book. If you have small children or younger brothers or sisters, do consider getting this for them. Its a lovely story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 19 Oct 2008
C. Slingsby (uk) - See all my reviews
This book is charming. It is about an owl 'Plop' who is afraid of the dark and so is encouraged by his parents to find out about it. By the end of the book Plop has listened to everyone's views and made his own mind up.
My daughter and I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ash Class' Review, 7 Oct 2008
Ms. J. L. Pereira "Ash Class" (Sutton, England) - See all my reviews
This is a story about an owl that was afraid of the dark. He is called Plop. Plop is a barn owl, who is ALWAYS hungry! Plop is terrified of the dark. Which is weird as owls are night birds and not normally afraid of the dark. Plop has an adventure every day, he meets lots of new people who describe to Plop what the dark is about.

It is a funny story especially the part where he kept on asking for food, eating it and then asking what he'd eaten, and what was next. HAHAHA!
We thought it was an interesting book and particularly funny when Plop kept falling out of the tree. Or when he thought the young lady was Father Christmas.

Ash class thought that this story was an interesting, funny, fantastic, exciting, delightful, wonderful, superb, great, fascinating, amazing, spectaular adventure.

We recommend this book to everyone. It's a HOOT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor - please avoid...wish I was not the first to review., 30 Aug 2013
Using a Google Nexus 10:

The audio did not work. The pages were poor, tiny pictures with text misaligned.

It looks like someone had done a bad a scan of the book. My 4yr old daughter was dissapointed as was I for shelling out money for something half cut.

Jill Tomlinson, how could you let this be released??

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting tale for a suitably interesting class., 25 Jun 2012
Rebecca Booth (Packmoor) - See all my reviews
(written by a class of 29, 6-7 yr olds)
The owl who was afraid of the dark is a fab book for children because it is ideal for children who are afraid of the dark and eventually will lead them to liking it.
It is a book with a repeating pattern than we have all enjoyed reading.

As a class teacher, i used this book to build up a series of lessons over the week. The children asked each day if we were finising the book, to find out what happened at the end. By the end the children were pleased that the owl had got over his fear of the dark.

The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark (Jill Tomlinson's Favourite Animal Tales)
Used & New from: 0.01