5.0 out of 5 stars Aaaamazing!
Poor little spider! She just wants to be a family pet but despite showing the family how good she is at dancing, feeding and washing all they do is scream "Aaaarrgghh SPIDER!" and throw her outside.
Published on 25 July 2004 by bobbathejobba

3.0 out of 5 stars Different cover - disappointed
The book itself is very nice and I'm sure my niece will love it, however I was disappointed that the cover wasn't the same red cover that I thought I was buying. Also it had a small tear at the bottom of the book, not worth sending it back for this though.
Published 17 months ago by Barbara Mac Nelis

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaaamazing!, 25 July 2004
bobbathejobba (furthest place in the UK from the beach) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider! (Paperback)
It's not until she makes beautiful sparkly webs in the garden that the family reconsiders - much to the delight of the spider. However a beautiful twist at the end keeps the fun going until the very end!
This is a fantastic picture book and has been a great hit with my daughter (aged 3 and a bit).
It works on so many levels - it's got: emotive phrases (shouting "Aaaarrgghh SPIDER"), simple repetition for joining in ("out you go!"), simple language for early readers ("Look at me"), large bold simple pictures (with great expressions), a page of touchy-feely sparkly webs and a great sense of humour.
Since this book is just plain fun from cover to cover, it's sure to become a firm favourite with your family too. And since it's so much fun it won't become one of those books you'll get fed up with re-reading (and soi you won't have to hide it behind the sofa).
Suitable for young'uns up to starting readers.
If you like fun books, I also highly recommend:
"Hiccup. The Viking who was Seasick" by Cressida Cowell
"Wolf Academy" by Jonathan Allen
"Eat your peas" by Kes Gray and Nik Sharratt

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reading for toddlers, 6 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider! (Paperback)
I bought this book in an attempt to stop me passing on my totally irrational fear of spiders onto my then 16 month old daughter. (It also made a nice change from stories about baby animals). At first I worried that the book might be too grown up for someone so young but I shouldn't have worried. The illustrations are just fabulous, very eye-catching and vibrant with some great detail. The story is simple enough for young readers and very funny and it soon had my daughter (and me)giggling out loud.
As a consequence, 'Spider' was one of the first words in her vocabulary. Now just over 2 years old, my daughter still loves this book and it is much-requested tale at bedtime, and whenever she wants the comfort of something familiar.
A success all round. I cannot recommend this book enough. Buy it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaaamazing!, 30 Jun. 2004
bobbathejobba (furthest place in the UK from the beach) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider! (Hardcover)
Suitable for young'uns up to starting readers.
If you like fun books, I also highly recommend:
"Hiccup. The Viking who was Seasick" by Cressida Cowell
"Wolf Academy" by Jonathan Allen
"Eat your peas" by Kes Gray and Nik Sharratt

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaaarrghh, Spider!, 30 July 2007
helen (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
Although my daughter is only 11months old she loves this book! She giggles everytime I read out Aaarrghh Spider and is even trying to join in. The pictures are really good and the ending of the story is great too! Aarrghh Spider !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 3 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider! (Paperback)
I couldn't agree more with the other reviews. "Spider" was also my daughters first word, and she loves this book! It is equally loved by her 3 yr old cousin too. The illustrations are fantastic, and we're still not bored of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I got a copy for all of my friends' kids, too!, 11 Sept. 2006
D. Forlano (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider (Board book)
My 12-month-old LOVES this book. Little spider wants to be a family pet, and tries to show them how good she'd be, but they are always frightened when they see her (out... you... go!) He was transfixed from the first reading, and before long was "reading" it to himself (turning to the pages where the family screams and shrieking with excitement himself). Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaarrgghh Spider, 7 Feb. 2007
Amazon Customer (High Wycombe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider (Board book)
Borrowed this from the library and am now buying a copy as it's by far my 2yr old Son's absolute fave book. Cute story and funny illustrations. As per another review my Son joins in miming spider's actions and shouting out at the appropriate points. I shall never look at a spider in the same light again ;-D

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and sweet... although the last page may make you feel uneasy!, 22 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider! (Paperback)
A cute, quirky take on arachnophobia! Or something like that. The pictures are lovely and funny with lots of extra narrative that isn't in the text (e.g. cat trying to drink the little girl's milk) that you might not notice... but your toddler will.

Although as someone who isn't particularly keen on spiders ... the last page (I won't give you a spoiler) does make me shudder, cutsie though it is!

My seventeen month old loves it and I get the feeling younger toddlers / babies would love the bright pictures; older toddlers / children would love the funny story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real winner - absolutely brilliant, 22 May 2008
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider (Board book)
This book is fantastic - it deserves a place on every tiny person's bookshelf. It's bright, bold and beautifully illustrated, and my little boy (14 months) is fascinated by the sparkly webs. It's perfect for reading aloud and the 'Aaaaargh - spider!' bits send him into fits of giggles every time. We also have lots of fun with the upside-down page at the beginning, which is a stroke of genius. I'm hoping that it will help him to avoid inheriting my arachnophobia, but this particular little spider is so cute, she might just cure me!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastically fun book, 2 Nov. 2008
Sal (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aaaarrgghh, Spider! (Paperback)
My 20 month old has loved this book since he was about 1year old. He loves to look out for the cat, dog and guinea pig as well as the spider too! I've recommended it to so many friends (lots had it for christmas presents too!)
It's easy to read - one of the only ones I don't get bored reading it repeatively.
It's also made my son love spiders - he looks out for them outside, screams with delight if he sees one in our house and spider was one of his first words :)

Aaaarrgghh, Spider!
Aaaarrgghh, Spider! by Lydia Monks (Paperback - 26 Sept. 2013)