on 2 March 2016
I was very familiar with the BBC TV adaptation from the '80s, and finally got round to reading the book. The adaptation is very faithful to the book, which is pleasing, but if you haven't seen it, expect exciting adventures, strange goings-on and a host of colourful characters. 1930s schoolboy Kay is given a magical Box of Delights for safekeeping from Wolves- but nothing is quite as it seems.
on 26 November 2012
First came across this story on television in the 80's which I very much enjoyed. The original book, now on Kindle I decided to buy and see how it compares to that television adaptation. Some of the language is slightly odd and getting the hang of when the story is set takes a little doing, however, a very enjoyable yarn which I can report was in a naive sort of way very pleasant to read.
on 9 February 2014
Along with C S Lewis' Narnia books ,at first this one seems very dated in it's language and attitudes, but the underlying story is timeless. Good vs Evil. Masefield blends pagan heroes from Britain's past with a Christmas theme to produce a dream like adventure. I recently watched the BBC production from 1984 on dvd and enjoyed it as much as the original series on tv.
on 13 January 2014
Bought this for my son for Christmas and he is really engrossed. He is a big Harry Potter fan and reads those books over and over again so for him to put that down to read another book it must be a winner! Would recommend. Actually saw the review on the TV and that's what persuaded me to buy. I hope to read it myself after to see what all the excitement is about.
on 15 December 2012
This is the best book about Christmas ever, full of classic Christmas ingredients, snow, dark winter nights, Christmas trees, crackers, school holidays, adventures, good food and a happy ending. I read it every year and it fills me full of a warm glow like no other book can. Must stop writing now as I'm off to have a posset.
on 26 May 2015
This is a very nice edition of what is a truly magical book. A sturdy hardback with good print size, this would make an excellent gift for a child of any age, particularly at Christmas. This has history, magic, adventure and is extremely well written. The sort of book that will be read and reread for many years. Recommended.
on 16 December 2012
Excellent Christmas story for kids who have a bit of knowledge of pre War Britain as it is a bit middle class! Also ideal for those of us who were kids a long time ago. Full of the magic and enchantment of Christmas - no parents, a big country house, magic, resourceful kids, villainous baddies and a happy ending.
on 19 December 2013
If you want to remember how exciting Christmas can be, this is the book! I remember reading it as a child by the lights on our Christmas tree and being enthralled. Last Christmas, ailing with a throat infection, I read it again and still loved it. Read it yourself or to your kids - either way it's fantastic!
on 10 February 2013
I bought is book for a friend at Christmas. I have loved this story ever since I watched it on TV as a child (nearly 30 years ago!) I own the DVD, and it is a family tradition that we watch this in December. I own a delapidated copy of this book! My daughter (aged 7) has already read it to herself.
on 28 April 2015
Just finished reading this and it is lovely to be able to read the full unabridged text - in 1985 when the TV series was made the paperback version of this book was published at the same time and it is quite surprising how much of the book has been edited.
Really enjoyed it thank you